OT Looking for a recipe- please help?

Old July 5th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Looking for a recipe- please help?

Yes the butter is melted, and gets added with the dry ingredients.
So sorry I left that out!
It had to happen sometime posting a recipe I s'pose.
Still makes one feel a bit of a twit though.

NightMist

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:24:30 +1200, "nzlstar*"
wrote:

is it melted butter?
and is it added with the vanilla, milk and oil?

i have heaps of lemons ripe now, would more zest in place of the oil?
they sound lemonisciously divine.
move over lemon sponge pudding, here comes nightmists lemon brownies, or
should that be lemon yellowies. would be yellower if we added a bit of food
colouring, lol.
do you ice these? yellow lemon icing would make them yellowies or just
yellows...lemon yellows!
ok now 'yellow' is starting to look misspelled.
snorfle'n in a wet south pacific,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"NightMist" wrote...

Lemon brownies

2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup cake flour
grated zest of one lemon
lemon flavoring oil(1)

Beat eggs til thick
Add sugar gradually, then vanilla, lemon oil, and milk, continue
beating until sugar is partly dissolved. Add salt, flour and zest.
spread in a greased and lined 7x11 inch pan, and bake at 350F for half
an hour or til done.

(1) a few drops to 1/4 tsp depending on it's strength and your tastes,
4-5 drops of loran is what I started with. I imagine you could use
extract if you put it in after the dry ingredients.

Yes I know there is no baking powder or soda. It doesn't need any.

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:
What I want is a lemon bar that is the texture and heavy, moist chewiness
of a brownie.
I have recipes for lemon pudding cake, lemon pound cake, lemon dump cake,
lemon bars with a filling like a lemon meringue pie and a bunch of other
lemon cake type recipes. But I *want* one with the rough texture and
heavy moistness of a brownie- but no chocolate, of course! (I adore
chocolate, but right now it's lemon that I want!)
Can anybody help me out with a recipe?

--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old July 5th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

a twit? you cant be a twit.
you worked out a new recipe with lemon rather than cocoa in it.
good grief, i'm impressed with your baking prowess.
i couldnt of done that. Great Job!!
got anymore of these new baking ideas worked out yet?
oh, did you ice these?
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"NightMist" wrote...

Old July 6th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

NightMist-

That sounds *exactly* like what I am looking for! I'm guessing the cake
flour has some leavening in it? (My fave brownie recipe doesn't have baking
powder or soda, either.) I don't have cake flour here, so I'll have to use
regular flour and hope for the best. THANK YOU!

Leslie- who will be baking in the morning! & The Furbabies in MO.

Leslie, if you don't have cake flour, use this:

Put 2 level tablespoons of cornstarch in a 1 cup measuring cup. Then
fill the cup with sifted bread flour or all-purpose flour. This makes
the equivalent of 1 cup of unsifted cake flour. Sift 3 times before
using.

Good luck! I *love* lemon bars -- now I may have to make some ... .

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 21:10:08 -0500, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

What I want is a lemon bar that is the texture and heavy, moist chewiness
of
a brownie.

I have recipes for lemon pudding cake, lemon pound cake, lemon dump cake,
lemon bars with a filling like a lemon meringue pie and a bunch of other
lemon cake type recipes. But I *want* one with the rough texture and
heavy
moistness of a brownie- but no chocolate, of course! (I adore chocolate,
but right now it's lemon that I want!)

Can anybody help me out with a recipe?

DD2 id super fond of lemony things, and I sort of messed around with
one of my favorite brownie recipes until I came up with this when she
asked me for lemon bars. At the time I was informed that these are
Not lemon bars, but not being a lemon fan I had no clue.

[...]

Dunno if this will suit, but what you want is almost exactly why DD
said these were not lemon bars. Of course their not being lemon bars
did not keep them from vanishing quick as a wink.

NightMist
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Bloody Hell!!
I'm a sugar bowl!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) embarqmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
Old July 6th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Next dumb question- why does a recipe call for *unsalted* butter and then
three lines down as for 1/4 tsp. salt to be added? Sheesh! Can I use
regular butter and skip the added salt?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

In article ,

Old July 6th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

Next dumb question- why does a recipe call for *unsalted* butter and then
three lines down as for 1/4 tsp. salt to be added? Sheesh! Can I use
regular butter and skip the added salt?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oooh! I know this one! That way you will know exactly how much salt
is in the recipe (and I just read somewhere that better butter is used
for the unslated variety).

Mary
Old July 6th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Nope no leavening in the flour.
My favorite brownie recipe is an _old_ brownie recipe. From back when
folk used the equivilent of washing soda when they needed leavening,
and tried very hard not to need it.
Cake flour is just soft wheat flour. The lower gluten stuff that is
best for things like bicuits and pastries. In this recipe it just
makes them a little more cakey and a little less bready. You can use
all purpose just fine, I often do.

NightMist

Old July 6th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default OT better butter

Joining in with Mary, yes indeed it is important (with some recipes) to be
able to control the amount of salt; with some I reckon it might not matter.
Recently I baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies from a new recipe that
didn't quite taste right and discovered that it did not include any salt. I
didn't have to throw them out but they were 'second best' for sure. FWIW, my
rather uppity cooking magazine says that the very pricey extra creamy butter
is nothing special and that they didn't notice any improvement by using it.
Polly

"Mary in Rock Island IL" wrote Oooh! I know this one! That way you will
know exactly how much salt
is in the recipe (and I just read somewhere that better butter is used for
the unsalted variety).

Mary

Old July 6th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Elizabeth
Young wrote:

Leslie,
I'll bet that NightMist's version here does not use any leavening.
Beating the eggs to death will add texture and maybe some height.
Part of the texture of brownies comes from the chocolate but it seems
like NightMist's one ought to do it.

Another secret is to let the eggs come to room temperature .. then beat
the everlovin' out of them and let them sit for about 10 minutes. If
you do both of those steps, they'll practically double in height and
volume!

My Gramma used to always do that for her corn bread and it was
AWESOME!!!! To this day, corn bread and pinto beans is, to me, the
ultimate comfort food!

liz young in very hot hot hot california

wrote:

[...]

Check out my quilt labels & applique designs at:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...59716832ejTfNZ

Old July 6th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Mary in Rock
Island IL wrote:

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

Next dumb question- why does a recipe call for *unsalted* butter and then
three lines down as for 1/4 tsp. salt to be added? Sheesh! Can I use
regular butter and skip the added salt?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oooh! I know this one! That way you will know exactly how much salt
is in the recipe (and I just read somewhere that better butter is used
for the unslated variety).

Mary

Yep! And it also matters *when* you put the salt in ... it's like
chemistry ... with each add-in, there's a reaction ...

As anyone who's ever made home-made Gumbo knows, you never put the okra
in until last - it hampers the rest of the veggies from cooking and
makes'em all too soft and salty!

Old July 9th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Here's a really easy one:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/184/Angel-Food-Lemon-Bars83825.shtml.
Just a package of angel food cake mix, a can of lemon pie filling, and
some coconut. I've never made them, but I have eaten them and I think
they have the texture you are looking for.

Julia in MN

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
What I want is a lemon bar that is the texture and heavy, moist chewiness of
a brownie.

I have recipes for lemon pudding cake, lemon pound cake, lemon dump cake,
lemon bars with a filling like a lemon meringue pie and a bunch of other
lemon cake type recipes. But I *want* one with the rough texture and heavy
moistness of a brownie- but no chocolate, of course! (I adore chocolate,
but right now it's lemon that I want!)

Can anybody help me out with a recipe?

Leslie- craving..... & The Sweet-Toothed Furbabies in MO.

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/