kaleidoscope quilt

Old April 23rd 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default kaleidoscope quilt

On 18 abr, 01:27, "Judy W" wrote:
Hi all,

I would love to make a Kaleidoscope quilt and can't seem to be able to find
a pattern with templates to go with. Does anyone here know where I could buy
a set? I don't want to use cardboard or any thing flimsy for the templates,
so I don't want to make my own.

Thanks,
Judy

Hi Judy

I made kaleidoscope finish last week, i made throutgh template MARTIN
MICHEEL o you can used GREAT from England you can see this if you
want rosapatch.blogspot.com
Thanks,

Rosa

Old April 23rd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I wonder if the 4 patch kaleidoscope is the 4-Patch Stacked Posie? I just
saw it at a recent quilt show & several of my friends & I want to make it .
It looks easier than a traditional Kaleidoscope & easier than a Stack &
Whack. I found the pattern at a place called www.cottonvault.com I think I
posted about the great services, prices & shipping costs.

Pauline
Northern California

"Judy" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I might try the 4 patch and see how
it turns out before I get into the real thing.

Judy

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I was just about to suggest that. Before you get into a really
complicated kaleidoscope, play with a just plain four patch. Cut each of
the four squares from an identical repeat. It's fun, not tedious and will
give you an idea of how the procedure works. With posies or pigs, the
'coming together' of it is just delightful. Polly

"Ms P" wrote in message
I just took a class last night where the "kaleidoscopes" are four
patches. They make for endless setting choices. I don't know what the
pattern was called though.

Old April 24th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62000453IFPYvh

Here's a picture of one of several I made as shop samples from the 4-
Patch Stacked Posey pattern. Great fun, easy and results depend
GREATLY on the choice of fabric.

joan

"Ms P" wrote in message
I just took a class last night where the "kaleidoscopes" are four
patches. They make for endless setting choices. *I don't know what the
pattern was called though.- Hide quoted text -

Old April 24th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

The latest issue of McCall's Quilting has an article featuring Bethany
Reynolds (the inventor of Stack and Whack) and includes a drawing for
the template used.

joan

Old April 24th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Default CHinese quilt was kaleidoscope quilt

Hi Joan, I was looking through your album and spotted the chinese symbol for
love one. I am hoping to make something like this for my son but I didnt
know how to start. Did you blow up the script and then copy it to fabric
and applique it? It looks like it was all one piece, and I dont think I
could do that lol. I am looking at a a different language, but I would
suppose the method would be the same. I just wasnt sure which method I
should follow.

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are
oups.com...

.

Old April 24th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:

The latest issue of McCall's Quilting has an article featuring Bethany
Reynolds (the inventor of Stack and Whack) and includes a drawing for
the template used.

joan

I don't have that magazine, Joan, and I'm curious. Does she call it
Circular Logic? That's the class I took from her in January, and I'm
hoping to get my version basted for quilting soon -- as soon as I finish
moving my web site to its new home, that is. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) embarqmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
Old April 24th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

I think we are having an interesting discussion here, and I have
wondered--- are we actually talking about 2 different kinds of quilts??
(Or even 3 different ones??)

I think that first of all we need to know exactly what Judy means by a
Kaleidoscope quilt. G

1. There is the traditional Kaleidoscope block. 8 even, Isosceles
triangles, with half square triangles added to every other one to make a
square. Very fun quilt and lots of variety possible. When the triangles
are string pieced parallel to the short side this is often called a
Spider Web block.
There was an article a few (several?) months ago with a quilt that was
ducklings with umbrellas in a rainy sky, that was entirely made of
kaleidoscope blocks.

2. The look of any block when pieced with identical/mirror image parts
of a print. Popularized by Bethany Reynolds in her "Stack and Whack"
books. Again, many variations possible. Can use any block that has
intersections meeting in the center. Can be impressive, can be ho-hum
depending on fabric and how many are seen at one time. BG (Not a
slam, I love them in general. But when one local quilt show, with less
than 300 quilts in the whole show, has 10 or more of them, it does get a
bit repetitive. )

3. A variation of the above. Each section of the block (4,5,6,8, etc) is
pieced from several fabrics so that each is either a copy or mirror
image of the other. Sections can be pieced in many different ways, but
some "continuity" of the piecing from one to the next helps with the
illusion. Ricky Tims, I believe, has a variation of this one. (Magazine
article a while back-- not sure which mag or exactly when.)

4. The Paula Nadelstern variation where the sections are not only pieced
but fabric with symmetrical print is used to enhance the effect.

Each of these is called a Kaleidoscope. VBG
Each is approached in a different way.

So, which kind are you interested in, Judy??
Lots of templates around to use in any of them. VBG

Hope this may help us all help out Judy.

Pati, in Phx

Old April 25th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

That's beautiful Joan - thanks for posting it. What are your
recommendations for fabric choice? A smaller or larger repeat? I'm pretty
sure I don't have anything in my stash with enough yardage in it to make
this quilt, so will probably have to go shopping - darn, don't you just hate
that! What about the vibrancy of the print - brighter better?

Pauline
Northern California

Old April 25th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Thankyou so much for ruining my morning Joan. I had planned
to do house work but got distracted and spent nearly an hour
browsing through your gorgeous quilts instead. A much
better use of my time.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

Old April 25th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Pati, you are not only knowledgeable, but you set the info. out so
beautifully. This is a great summing up of this style. I am interested
because I am making a variation (in miniature) at the moment. Thank you
for the time you took to expand on the topic.
..
In message . net, Pati
Cook writes
[...]

Best Regards