"Redwork" Embroidery Blocks

Old April 18th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default "Redwork" Embroidery Blocks

Thanks Roberta. This was mentioned by another poster
too. I think I have one of those pencils somewhere in
the zoo ... er, the Quilting Studio. I am a bit fearful
of it. I remember a neighbor who used a transfer paper
to mark elaborate designs on a skirt and blouse and the
guidelines never came out. The ensemble took her many
hours and it was ruined. That makes me wary of the
transfer pencils and papers!!
PAT

Roberta Zollner wrote:

There's a red pencil that marks (allegedly) the same stuff used on
pre-printed embroidery designs. It's made so you can draw on paper and iron
onto fabric. But tracing directly onto fabric is OK too.Washes out, but even
if it didn't, the red wouldn't show up in redwork. I bought the pencil so
many years ago that I couldn't tell you where, and it wouldn't be much use
even if I could remember. But I assume they are still made!
Roberta in D

Old April 18th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

They come in several "widths". My fine tips would easily be covered
with 3 strands of floss, I think??? If they don't work for that, you
could always find another use for them.... or donate them to a Sunday
school or write grocery lists with them or color the daily newspaper
comic strips to look the the Sunday funnies???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

On Apr 18, 8:16 am, Pat in Virginia wrote:
Just how fine are those children's markers, Leslie?
Thanks, PAT
Go Hokies!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:

I've been using Crayola washable markers- that are meant for
children's use- for making fabric. (MUCH less expensive that the
water soluble markers they sell for us quilters to use... and that are
usually mostly dried out by the time I buy them at WalMart... grumble,
grumble) If you matched the marker to your thread, then you'd be
doubly safe??? Maybe??? I've yet to have any trouble washing the
markers out, but I have been using ones that are not a great contrast
to the fabric I'm marking.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.- Hide quoted text -

Old April 18th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Yes, some of the transfer pens/pencils are permanent-- if you think for
a minute they do transfer with heat, which tends to set inks, etc.
Some of the transfer papers are pretty good about washing out though. I
usually use a mechanical pencil to mark my embroidery lines. I can
usually cover the lines with thread. There are some other pencils used
for marking that might work too. I have a silver one, mechanical, that
is pretty good about washing out. (Got it at a quilt shop--I think it is
a Clover brand.)

Pati, in Phx

Old April 18th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

My mother did a lot of redwork style embroidery, except that she used
multiple colors on each piece -- one color for the little animal, green
for the grass, different colors for the flowers, etc. She used the red
transfer pencil to trace a design on paper and then iron it on the
fabric. It always washed out. The transfer could be used several times;
when it started to fade, she would just retrace it.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old April 18th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

I usually use red thread for "redwork", but my current project is using
black and pink. Most "redwork" was done using just one colour at a time,
otherwise it was just called embroidery.

--
Susan in Kingston ON
Unpacking, wondering where to put all the new fabric!

Old April 18th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:58:40 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Well, I've decided to start some 'red work' blocks so I
will have a neat project to carry around. I will just
make them until I have enough for a project, or until
it makes me nuts (if that happens) ... whichever comes
first. I will be using green floss for these first
blocks which will have a horticultural theme.

Question: what tools do you use to mark the designs on
the fabric? The book mentions fine, hard pencils OR
thin permanent ink. The latter scares me off. I guess
I'll go with the pencils. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. PAT in Virginia
Go Hokies!!

You could use ultra fine water soluble fabric markers. Just like you
might trace out a quilting pattern for hand quilting. The air erase
ones would disappear too quickly, so make sure it's a water erase.

BTW Horticultural pics done in green will look really nice. Great
project idea.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 19th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 17 Apr 2007 16:12:05 -0700, MaleQuilter
wrote:

Novice here. I thought "Redwork" was red.

I guess I'm wrong about "Blackwork" too.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Redwork and Blackwork can be done in any color.

Blackwork came to be known by that name when a queen (forgot which
one) made it trendy to only use black thread--prior to that it was
done in many colors, and nowadays people have gone back to using many
colors.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 19th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:58:40 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

I forgot one other method--soap. A sliver of soap can mark fabric and
it always washes out later.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 19th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

I believe the style with several colors was called
"Penny Squares." I have two vintage penny squares that
I purchased in a thrift store. The blocks were nursery
rhymes: jack be Nimble and another boy one. Some time
ago I set them into a small wall hanging, using
reproduction 1930's fabric. It is delightful! PAT