"Redwork" Embroidery Blocks

Old April 18th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Default "Redwork" Embroidery Blocks

The outline embroidered quilt blocks were made famous by Ruby McKim.
Originally most of the work was done in red threads... but any more you can
find "redword" done in blue, green, purple, orange, turquoise.... whatever
color suits the fancy of the quilter!

Kate in MI

"MaleQuilter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 17, 3:58 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:
Well, I've decided to start some 'red work' blocks so I
will have a neat project to carry around. I will just
make them until I have enough for a project, or until
it makes me nuts (if that happens) ... whichever comes
first. I will be using green floss for these first
blocks which will have a horticultural theme.

Question: what tools do you use to mark the designs on
the fabric? The book mentions fine, hard pencils OR
thin permanent ink. The latter scares me off. I guess
I'll go with the pencils. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. PAT in Virginia
Go Hokies!!

Novice here. I thought "Redwork" was red.

I guess I'm wrong about "Blackwork" too.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Old April 18th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I did a "Rules for Teachers" precious old primitive embroidery for a teacher
friend of mine - important things such as how many petticoats a proper
teacher should wear. The project went on vacation with us, was subjected to
extreme heat and sun in the car many times. The washaway blue marker turned
black and permanent. Since it was primitive anyway, the stray marks did no
harm - but could have been a heartbreaker. Now, if there's a 'carry'
project marked with a washaway, it travels in a little insulated case to
keep it from baking. And furthermore - not that you wanted one - there's a
PPP here - Permanently inProgress Project, a quilt of just really
magnificent antique handkerchiefs. Many of the embroiderers used pencil and
I have yet to find anything to gently remove the pencil marks. This is
beginning to sound like the safety warnings on irons that say 'Do not iron
the clothing you are wearing'. Yes. That makes sense. Polly

Old April 18th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy

I have had the most luck marking my "redwork" with a mechanical pencil. Not
only do they keep a sharp point all the time, but for some reason, it
doesn't seem to come off in the handling as quickly as a regular pencil. I
can mark several blocks, put them in a little pouch (I use a freebee from
Clinque), along with my little hoop, scissors, thread and needles, and am
ready to stitch anywhere.

Nancy

"Sandy" wrote in message
In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Well, I've decided to start some 'red work' blocks so I
will have a neat project to carry around. I will just
make them until I have enough for a project, or until
it makes me nuts (if that happens) ... whichever comes
first. I will be using green floss for these first
blocks which will have a horticultural theme.

Question: what tools do you use to mark the designs on
the fabric? The book mentions fine, hard pencils OR
thin permanent ink. The latter scares me off. I guess
I'll go with the pencils. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. PAT in Virginia
Go Hokies!!

Pat, I did a bluework quilt some time ago, and I just used a blue
washout marker. Worked fine!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)

Old April 18th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I've been using Crayola washable markers- that are meant for
children's use- for making fabric. (MUCH less expensive that the
water soluble markers they sell for us quilters to use... and that are
usually mostly dried out by the time I buy them at WalMart... grumble,
grumble) If you matched the marker to your thread, then you'd be
doubly safe??? Maybe??? I've yet to have any trouble washing the
markers out, but I have been using ones that are not a great contrast
to the fabric I'm marking.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old April 18th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, it does mean a trip tot he hardware store! but, never fear, they
are usually very kind to a lone damsel g
I just looked at mine: it is Grade 1. That's probably one up from
'flour grade'. I would think that the gradings are pretty universal.
If not, try drawing the pads of your fingers across it - with no
pressure, it is easy; with moderate pressure it is still easy (and you
feel no discomfort on the skin); squeezed it is not possible to slide
the fingers at all.
..
In message , Anne Rogers
writes
I've heard this sand paper tip before? where do you buy your sand paper? do
some LQS carry it? or is it definitely a trip to the hard ware store and if
it is, how on earth do you figure out what to buy?

Anne

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 18th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

There's a red pencil that marks (allegedly) the same stuff used on
pre-printed embroidery designs. It's made so you can draw on paper and iron
onto fabric. But tracing directly onto fabric is OK too.Washes out, but even
if it didn't, the red wouldn't show up in redwork. I bought the pencil so
many years ago that I couldn't tell you where, and it wouldn't be much use
even if I could remember. But I assume they are still made!
Roberta in D

Old April 18th 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Blackwork is a type of counted embroidery: you do various stitches over a
number of counted threads, like cross stitch. Used as all-over embellishment
in the Renaissance period.
Roberta in D

Old April 18th 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

I believe that originally Blackwork was not a counted thread work. It
was done with a double running stitch, also called a Holbein (sp???)
stitch and looked pretty much the same front and back. Could also be
embellished with gold threads (actually very fine gold wire) and
sometimes red. Counted work is later, I think. (Not positive there..)
Blackwork was the usual decoration on ruffles at cuffs and collars in
the Tudor/Elizabethan era and you can see lots of examples in portraits
of the time. G
For some reason in the last several years people have decided to do
blackwork as counted thread work. I suppose because of the very
geometric look to the patterns.

Pati, in Phx who has done blackwork on Tudor style clothing. including
our wedding outfits.

Old April 18th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

I think you are pretty on target on that, Pati. I
remember reading that Katherine of Aragon was skilled
with Blackwork and it was she who introduced the craft
to England, or at least the 'fad' revolved around her.

In any case, Blackwork is quite distinct in the
stitches and the style. It is unlike what we call red
work. I've seen 'Blackwork' done very nicely in brown
floss on tan fabric.
Pat in VA/USA

Old April 18th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Just how fine are those children's markers, Leslie?
Thanks, PAT
Go Hokies!