"Redwork" Embroidery Blocks

Old April 17th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default "Redwork" Embroidery Blocks

Well, I've decided to start some 'red work' blocks so I
will have a neat project to carry around. I will just
make them until I have enough for a project, or until
it makes me nuts (if that happens) ... whichever comes
first. I will be using green floss for these first
blocks which will have a horticultural theme.

Question: what tools do you use to mark the designs on
the fabric? The book mentions fine, hard pencils OR
thin permanent ink. The latter scares me off. I guess
I'll go with the pencils. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. PAT in Virginia
Go Hokies!!
Old April 17th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I always mark on fabric with pencil, and never have the least bit of
trouble washing it out later! Of course, I use a hard graphite
pencil, sharpened so I get a very thin line, and mark as lightly as I
can and still see the line. You might try this out on a piece of
scrap fabric just to be sure it pleases you, though!

Old April 17th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I used pencil. And remember the very fine (but not as fine as flour
grade) sandpaper to put underneath the fabric you are marking. It makes
such a huge difference.
..
In message , Pat in Virginia
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 17th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

I use thin-line pens in a permanent color to match the floss. Places
like Hobby Lobby have pens of every color in the scrap booking
department.

I marked a lot for Mom to embroider. She would have had trouble
seeing pencil lines.

joan

Old April 17th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

there is a pencil that you draw on paper, in reverse, then iron the design
onto the fabric.
you can trace with a light table or tape to a window anything you fancy or
sketch your own design. it iron transfers more than once per sketch. the
pencils arent costly either.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Pat in Virginia" wrote...

Old April 18th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

On Apr 17, 3:58 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:
Well, I've decided to start some 'red work' blocks so I
will have a neat project to carry around. I will just
make them until I have enough for a project, or until
it makes me nuts (if that happens) ... whichever comes
first. I will be using green floss for these first
blocks which will have a horticultural theme.

Question: what tools do you use to mark the designs on
the fabric? The book mentions fine, hard pencils OR
thin permanent ink. The latter scares me off. I guess
I'll go with the pencils. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. PAT in Virginia
Go Hokies!!

Novice here. I thought "Redwork" was red.

I guess I'm wrong about "Blackwork" too.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Old April 18th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I was taught to trace my design in the same color of ink that I was going to
be embroidering with. I did a redwork Valentine quilt & traced everything
in red. The benefit to using the same color is that if you happen to be
wonky with your stitches (I'm sure nobody here is), you can't see it,
because the ink filled in the space! (My redwork quilt "looks" like it has
perfect stitching - now if I could just get it quilted!!)

Pauline
Northern California

Old April 18th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Well, I've decided to start some 'red work' blocks so I
will have a neat project to carry around. I will just
make them until I have enough for a project, or until
it makes me nuts (if that happens) ... whichever comes
first. I will be using green floss for these first
blocks which will have a horticultural theme.

Question: what tools do you use to mark the designs on
the fabric? The book mentions fine, hard pencils OR
thin permanent ink. The latter scares me off. I guess
I'll go with the pencils. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. PAT in Virginia
Go Hokies!!

Pat, I did a bluework quilt some time ago, and I just used a blue
washout marker. Worked fine!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old April 18th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I used pencil. And remember the very fine (but not as fine as flour grade)
sandpaper to put underneath the fabric you are marking. It makes such a
huge difference.

I've heard this sand paper tip before? where do you buy your sand paper? do
some LQS carry it? or is it definitely a trip to the hard ware store and if
it is, how on earth do you figure out what to buy?

Anne

Old April 18th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

JoAnns has a board that has a sandpaper side (also converts to a white board
for tracing and a flannel board). But the least expensive way to go is to
stop by the local hardware store and get a fine-grade sandpaper (the higher
the number - -the finer the grit). You might want to get a piece of
cardboard (cut off the back of a cereal box) and glue the sandpaper to the
cardboard -- gives it a little more stability.

It works wonderfully when you want to write on fabric without the fabric
moving under your pencil! (or pen... or whatever)

Kate in MI

PS -- here is what I was talking about that I purchased from JoAnns:

http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$AWW5M4IAACO0OP4SY5KRHOR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=113057&PRODID=79651

if the link doesn't work -- just go to www.joanns.com and search using the
keyword SANDBOARD.

. ..