Aha! and Wow

Old March 21st 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
René

Default Aha! and Wow

Just a thought, and I haven't read all the replies you've gotten, so it may
already be there. I have a flannel cloth that is already gridded. Could
you use something like that over your new cover? It would cover up the
shiny-ness, so you may not like it, but it could work. If you sewed it to
your shiny fabric first, on the grid, of course, it wouldn't shift, so would
be like a single covering.

René

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Inventing the wheel and the internet was nothing. Wait till you read what
I did.
I have a canvas-covered, gridded fake wood sort of board that I use for
pressing quilt blocks (as well as smocking, embroidery and assorted other
good stuff). This pressing tool is June Tailor's Quilter's something or
other, the previous one was Martha Pullen's Shape 'n Press. Either
measures about 24" x 28" and both are pricey - about $40.
They do a fine job but I can't keep one decent looking for more than a
month or so. After that, the scorch marks, steam iron dribbles, spray
starch gummies and other unspeakables make them look disgusting.
Yesterday, I enlisted help for pulling and tugging and made a cover for
my press board with that silver-looking cloth that you use for potholders
and ironing board covers. Wow. It looks wonderful, And ! it increases
the heat reflection or something by 18.27389 %.
I have been so ashamed by the piggy look of my press board and now it
looks quite pristine and works better. Perhaps the only improvement would
be a grid on it. Wonder what sort of pen or marker could be used to put
a few lines on it that wouldn't bleed off onto whatever needed serious
steam pressing? Polly

Old March 22nd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:00:03 GMT, "~KK in BC~"
wrote:

Well now thanks to this thread I now see I need a new gadget for my sewing
room called a press board. What is its purpose? What is its size? What is
its padding made of? Why does one need one? What is the difference of a
press board to the good old ironing board?

I don't have a pressboard. I just stand my regular ironing board down a bit
to be at my table level so I just roll around on my chair from machine to
ironing board to do my pressing.

Yeah I know, leave the sucker full height and get off yer butt and get some
activity going while you are sewing, says my mind......

~KK in BC~

I've got two possibilities in my quilt supplies. I am not sure which
kind Polly has. There is usually less padding on these than on
ironing boards so they work a little better for getting seams pressed
really flat.

The first one is part of the first rotary cutting mat I bought. A
portable pressing board and cutting mat that folds shut and has
carrying handles. The cutting mat side just has a cutting mat glued
in place. The pressing board side is a piece of thin plywood with a
heat reflecting cover that has a little bit of padding under the
cover. It's like a small square ironing board that lays flat on a
table. The plywood is so thin that it has warped a little. You could
make a better one with a spare piece of plywood and a piece of ironing
board cover or even a folded old sheet. Just lay the fabric down
wrong side up, lay board on top, pull fabric to back of board all the
way around and staple gun it in place. Maybe add a layer of felt to
the bottom so it won't scratch your table when you use it.

The other possibility is a little table top ironing board. Basically
that is just a piece of plywood shaped like a mini ironing board with
a little ironing board cover on it. Usually they have little feet
hinged to the bottom, and they stand about 4 or 5 inches tall.

I've used my little ironing board more than the portable pressing mat,
but probably because I worry about accidentally melting the cutting
mat side.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old March 22nd 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

Well dang! I have three of those little ironing boards here due to my kids
all being cadets and needing their own board and iron! The oldest moved out
and has left his behind and I think I now know a place to put that sucker!
well if I have room...... one of those other little things sounds like a
great idea in my small room I have too.

I never put much thought into the less padding flatter seam but it makes
sense totally to me.

There is always so much to learn around here!!!!!!!!!!

~KK in BC~

Old March 22nd 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I wish I were smarter. I know some of you do too. I just simply am not
bright enough to give you a direct hit on the details of the press board I
think is as important as the iron is. There's the June Tailor Press Quilter
Square 'n Blocker and it looks like the site is
http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId+733289429 but when I tried to go
back to that it says there's no such page. An identical press board (so it
seems to me) is at www.marthapullen.com and is called Shape 'N Press. I
first started using one when blocking smocking (serious business) because
the stuff wants to ka-boing out of shape if you are not determined. Either
is a nice size for pressing, blocking and arranging. Either can be used
safely on a fussy surface such as on top of your cutting mat or table. The
only drawback for either is the cover; they do get grubby looking very
quickly. How sweet it is to have that solved. Polly

Old March 23rd 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

The Shape 'N Press is made by June Taylor. G I have one of those, and
a large Cut 'N Press and one of the smallest of the Omni cut and press
fold up ones too. They are all firmer than most ironing boards.
I also use a piece of pressed board (we used to call it "masonite"??)
that is a little less than a quarter inch thick (it was a shelf in a
cheap, collapsible "wardrobe") covered with a piece of foil for pressing
freezer paper to fabric.
I also have a larger press "board" which is actually a cover that needs
a board inserted, so far I use it laid on a table when I have used it. G
If you do both clothing and quilt pressing on the same ironing board,
one or the other will be "not quite right". Clothes needs the padding
because you don't generally want a "hard" press, but more of a "soft"
one. Piecing really needs a very firm press to lay flat.

I have a "big board" that I got as a door prize at a guild chapter
party. It is a piece of plywood with a layer of cotton batting covered
with heavy, twill weave cotton fabric. It came with the smaller pieces
to put on the back to "keep" it in position on the regular ironing
board. I never got them put on, so I can turn the board around and just
"slide" it off if I need to use the regular board for clothes. Love it.
VBG

When I learned to sew one of my instructors said that pressing/ironing
was just as important as the sewing, and may take just as much, if not
more, time.

Pati, in Phx

Old March 23rd 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Pressing (was Aha! and Wow)

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
link.net...

When I learned to sew one of my instructors said that pressing/ironing was
just as important as the sewing

I'm with you on that one! If there was one piece of advice I could give
every piecer, it would be to take pressing seriously. So many piecers work
so hard on getting a perfect 1/4" seam, and then do a slap-dash job of
pressing, making that seam nowhere near a quarter inch.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old March 24th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I am in awe at your inventiveness, Polly!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old June 8th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
M & R

My June Tailer Cut n' Press gets warped with too much use (heat). So I
purchased 2 silicone baking mats for a 10"x15" pan and stapled them next
to each other on a 3/8" plywood board cut to fit by DH. Then I got the
anti-slip shelf lining and stapled it to the other side. I then got the
quilted silvery stuff from Joanns, sewed a binding on (extra wide for
stapling) and then stretched and stapled to the board. I don't have any
heat transfer to my cutting mat underneath and it's really sturdy.