Which little machine?

Old September 3rd 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Which little machine?

I'm getting brave (and stupid) as I grow older and I've signed myself
into several upcoming classes at the LQS and beyond. And I need a
little SM -- I DO NOT want to risk my computerized machine by dragging
it to class. On top of that, the 6600 weighs approximately 3,000
pounds and I couldn't move it if I had to.

So a trip to the local Thieves Den ... um, I mean sewing machine
store.

Here's the breakdown:
Jem Gold -- $199 -- used in one kid's sewing class, cleaned, put into
original box, comes with original warranty.
Babylock Anna -- $299 -- brand new, lightweight. I think it doesn't
give quite as good a stitch as the Jem, but what do I know?
Simplicity Liberty -- 249 -- used, but completely refurbished, has a
built in carrying case, they'll give me the original warranty.

Any thoughts? I've never even heard of a Simplicity. They say it's the
same internal parts as the Jem Gold.

My instincts are to take the little Jem Gold and run. But I have an
emotional fondness for Jenome machines because that was my very first
SM and it turned me into a stitcher.

What do you guys think?

Sunny
Old September 3rd 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 03/09/2010 23:00, Sunny wrote:
[...]

Nel will tell you how those little Gems worked out for her school
quilting classes. They are probably the only Janome's I might actually
pay dosh for. Go for it.

Personally, for stuff like that, I'll use one of my Elna Lotus machines,
one of the F&R Cub 4's, or the Featherweight. But if you don't have a
Golden Oldie small machine, the Janome Gem is about as good as you can
find in the price bracket.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 3rd 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I honestly don't know about those machines Sunny.
I have to say your 'thieves den' description is kind of
funny. Isn't there any other shop around that doesn't seem like thieves? I
drive an hour to get away from the thieves here.
If it is a class that doesn't need a zz I take a featherweight or a Singer
301. Lots of the gals seem to have the Jem
machines in classes more and more. I don't remember having heard any bad
performance reports on any of them. The 6600 is not a good schlepping
around machine. I bet you would end up with a service cost equal to the
cost of one of these little machines if you bumped it the wrong way. Better
safe than sorry!
Please report back on the classes and your new machine.
Taria

Old September 4th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I don't know anything about little SMs for classes; just wanted to say that
I think your estimate of the weight of the 6600 is probably accurate. Polly

Old September 4th 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

now come on. their site says only 24 lbs. I have to take their word for
it since it is too heavy to move much.
Taria

Old September 4th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I have a Jem Gold- love it! It sews a nice stitch and sits still without
jumping all over even tho it's lightweight. It's great for it's intended
use but I wouldn't give up my 6600 to use only the Jem! VBG (It's great
to have 2-3 machines set up with different threads, settings, etc. while
working on projects.) The attachments and feet from my former Janome 4800
work on it, but I've never tried fitting the attachments for my 6600 on the
Jem. I think some of the feet might work??? I paid $150 for my Jem- a
gently used, like new 18 mo. old machine. That was about 3 years ago.
HTH (Get the dealer to throw in some feet and/or an extension table for the
price they are asking- or *something* extra to sweeten the deal! And have
you checked eBay, Craig's list, etc. for a Jem?)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO- we LOVE our Janomes!

Old September 5th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

I've heard lots of good things about the Jem Gold. If I ever had to
get a lightweight portable that's what I'd go for.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

-Irene

Old September 7th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 17:00:08 -0500, Sunny wrote
(in article
):

[...]

I love my Jem. I think you can't go wrong with it.

Maureen*

Old October 6th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marlys in Indiana

No, No. Those babies are heavy. But since I got my 7700 (Janome's new
Horizon)
now there is a heavy one. Estimate about 4000 lbs. But I love it.
Marlys in Indiana

Old October 7th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well, if it has a permanant home and doesn't need schlepped too much than
the weight not a bad thing.
Glad you love the machine. What do you like best about it?
Glad to have you back. : )
Taria

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
janome machine tension control broken + quilting machine suggestions Frank & Renee Quilting 1 May 22nd 05 09:49 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Quilting 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Sewingtrader Ebay auctions - Machine Embroidery and Machine Knititng items. DS Sewing 3 July 25th 03 05:17 PM