OT Which would you do?

Old October 12th 10, 10:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default OT Which would you do?

I'd do it on the computer, but then my handwriting is execrable. And
if I spot a mistake, it's a lot less frustrating just to fix it and
print out a new page.

That alembic is so pretty! Does the price include tax? Maybe you
should ask. No idea what the VAT might be in Portugal, but here it's
19%.
Roberta in D

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:39:11 +0000, NightMist
wrote:

I am on top of the holidays. Yay me!

Quilt tops are done, sandwiched, basted, and sorted by quilting type.
The ones that will be hand quilted are well started.
The sweater for DH has the pattern sorted, and the yarn is bought and
waiting to be dyed.
Plus I have bought all sorts of odds and ends over the course of the
year. Since the dollar versus the euro is so utterly abominable at the
moment I may have to figure out a different main prezzie for DH though. I
was going to get him this:
http://www.coppermasters.com/prod_de...Id=3&iOffset=0

The last thing on my making list is cookbooks for the DDs.
I am going to put all the holiday recipes, and all the stuff they are
constantly calling to ask how, into a cook book for each of them.
DD3 is still at home, but I see no reason not to get a jump on it. In
fact since she is the dashi queen of the kitchen she can contribute! (G)

My first notion is to just write them out into a nice blank book.
My second notion is to print them out on the computer and put them into a
binder with plastic sheets. Perhaps more practical, but much less
personal.

What would your choice be?
I've spent the last two weeks talking myself back and forth.

NightMist

Old October 12th 10, 10:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Or if your recipe calls for raisins, use dried cranberries instead.
Roberta in D

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:48:13 -0700 (PDT), Sunny
wrote:

Polly, just once you should try that pecan pie recipe with walnuts
instead of pecans. Yum.

Sunny

Old October 12th 10, 11:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Just when I had opted on the side of sanity (print the thing out), DH had
to voice an opinion
He is combining Jack's notion with Sunny's and a couple other's notion,
and suggesting I organize, write out where I need to, and then take it
down to the print shop and have it all scanned, printed, and bound. So
it would be a properly bound book printed out in my, and some of my
gramma's and a few friend's and neighbor's handwriting. If I did that I
think I would have to type everything out and make the thing twice as
long by including fully readable versions as well. Besides, I don't
think the girls would understand instructions such as "dextrinize the
grains in a spider", "mash the boiled chestnuts and put them through a
tammy", or "draw the fat from the gammon in a stout pot"

I am very annoyed at being unable to get the alembic. I had a notion to
get the 3 liter one for him. It would be a great help in his perfuming
and such. But at 86 euros for the item, 54 euros for shipping, and with
the dollar running at 1.4 per euro, it would be more than a little silly
to buy one this year. VAT is paid to the destination country and we do
not have one, yet.

One of the irksome things about it, is so far as I can tell there are
three artisan shops in Portugal that make them and they can be found
nowhere else. There are sites that sell them, but they all come from the
same three portugese shops at dramatic mark-ups. Except for a few
mega-giagunda made in the USA models that cost as much as a car.

What he really wants is a very old style alchemical alembic, perhaps
ancient style. One that has great similarities to a thing called a
pelican, crossed with a bain marie, and can operate at very low heat.
Glass is a poor second best to copper in his opinion, and glass versions
cost three and four times as much. The debate over copper versus glass
amongst oil makers and distillers is not someplace I am going. He
prefers copper, good enough!

Ah well, perhaps next year.

NightMist
NOT taking up copper-smithing!

wrote:

I am on top of the holidays. Yay me!

Quilt tops are done, sandwiched, basted, and sorted by quilting type.
The ones that will be hand quilted are well started. The sweater for DH
has the pattern sorted, and the yarn is bought and waiting to be dyed.
Plus I have bought all sorts of odds and ends over the course of the
year. Since the dollar versus the euro is so utterly abominable at the
moment I may have to figure out a different main prezzie for DH though.
I was going to get him this:
http://www.coppermasters.com/prod_details.php?

iProdId=90&iCatId=3&iOffset=0

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old October 12th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:59:08 -0500, Sunny wrote
(in article
):

If 'twere me I'd find a really nice font on the computer, type
everything in the nice, warm, readable font, put the whole shebang on
a thumbdrive and take it to the local print shop so that it can be
printed off and bound so it will lie flat while open to the needed
page.

Just me. And I love that still. Wow .... never thought about having my
very own still before. Papaw may have had one .... way back. I'm
thinking it was slightly larger than that pretty copper one.

Sunny

I second Sunny's suggestion.

Maureen

Old October 12th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

If you have the recipe book bound, I recommend a spiral-type binding so
that it lays flat when opened. I have a couple cookbooks and quilting
books that I had the spiral binding added for that reason.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old October 12th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

You might find a cheap fare to Portugal for a similar amount :-)
Alternatively, contact http://www.iwponline.org/Home.html,
International Women in Portugal. Lots of Americans in that club,
doesn't hurt to ask if somebody lives near your copper shop, who plans
to come to the US for thanksgiving or christmas and could help you
out.
Roberta in D