AD - New Lampwork - My fave so far - no purple!

Old October 26th 04, 08:07 PM
Kalera Stratton

WIERD because KDK was JUST TWO DAYS AGO asking if I knew of a good brown
that would go with turquoise...

ominous music plays

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

starlia wrote:
I love them. They look very similar to a set I created last night. Same
colors but not the same kind of beads. I think we must be on a wavelength
together. LOL

Old October 27th 04, 02:09 AM
Kandice Seeber

LOL - it's in the air!
Anyone interested in my super secret brown recipe?

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 27th 04, 02:13 AM
starlia

It must be in the air. I love those combo colors now that I've done a few.

Okay, so what is your super secret brown recipe?

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old October 27th 04, 03:14 AM
Candace

*waves hand wildy* memememe! Did you see my post on the bead hive
about wanting a set in that brown with green? Ooh! Yummy! I'll only
make it for myself (Unless you make a set like that and then I
will bid mercilessly on it instead!)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:09:58 -0700, "Kandice Seeber"
wrote:

LOL - it's in the air!
Anyone interested in my super secret brown recipe?

Candace S.

Visit my website: www.belisamadesigns.com
Old October 27th 04, 04:36 AM
Kandice Seeber

I do plan on doing brown and green - I want to do my scrolls in those
colors. But feel free to try your own, too!

Okay - lampworkers who are interested....here goes!!

This is my way of making *perfect brown*. This brown has much less red in
it than the Moretti browns, and is richer and less gray than Lauscha Cocoa.
It's more like the color of rich milk chocolate.

You need these three colors, all Moretti/Effetre - Opaque Handpulled Sage
(#211), Transparent Dark Topaz (aka rootbeer, #016), and Transparent
Handpulled Light Brown (#018).

Mix very well one part Dark Topaz with 2 parts Light Brown, then pull into
different sized stringers, some thick and some thin.
This will turn into a tobacco brown. To get the real knockout brown, layer
the stringers over the Sage. I scrolled a thin stringer of this mix over
the Sage and then cubed it - you can see this bead in the Chocolates at
Tiffanies set. You can also use the small stringers to layer over dots and
flower petals. A little goes a long way. Strike the color by letting it
cool and then bathing it in the upper middle part of your flame.

If you want the dark brown as a base bead, do this:

Make a small bead in Sage. Wrap a thick stringer of the mix above around
the bead once. Don't melt it in. Wrap several layers of Light Brown over
that wrap - using the disk method. The bead should look like a thin
sideways pizza. Melt very slowly into a round donut. It should pull the
encasing out very nicely. Once the bead forms, let it cool slowly while
flashing the bead in and out of the flame. Then bath it in the upper middle
part of your flame until it strikes. If it's too orange, get it hot and
strike it again.

The color comes from the reaction between the mix of the transparents and
the contact with Sage. The Sage is greener on its own, but when it meets
with this mix, it turns a gorgeous milky brown.

I hope I have explained this well! If you have any questions, please feel
free.

Dang - that was longer than I thought!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 27th 04, 04:40 AM
starlia

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes. I do not like our current brown
selections as they come off the shelf. I'm off to try your concoctions.
:-)

Old October 27th 04, 04:49 AM
Kandice Seeber

Sure thing! I had been searching for a true chocolate brown and hadn't
found anything I really liked. Took awhile to figure this out. And I did
try just layering a lighter amber over Sage and then encasing it with Light
Brown, but that turned out much more orange than I wanted. The reaction of
this brown happens when you actually mix the colors together. It's so weird
the way glass chemistry works.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 27th 04, 04:51 AM
starlia

I think that's one of the reasons I like glass so much. I hope to someday
actually make glass with silica and chemicals to give it a go. Maybe I'll
get to tour Kokomo or some other company and they can let me do a demo.
That would be a blast.

Old October 27th 04, 07:50 AM
Kalera Stratton

Lovely explanation! Thanks for sharing your discovery... tricks like
this are almost impossible to rediscover independently.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old October 27th 04, 07:53 AM
Kalera Stratton

You know, in the 1970's many glass artists were making their own glass,
using instructions from old books, because the options on the market
were few and pitiful. Dan, who started Bullseye, says it's not hard...
you should give it a whirl.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay