OT do you love to bake?

Old April 19th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OT do you love to bake?

One of my favorite things is baking bread. Really. I love to. Along the
way, I've created more than my share of bricks and stepping stones but even
the failures have made the kitchen smell just wonderful.
Lately, I've noticed that the spoon I'm using for stirring in the last
bit of flour is cutting my fingers. Well, not really 'cutting' but you know
what I mean. The edge of the spoon's handle is causing me some pain as I
grip it hard enough to get the final mixing done.
In this wonderful world of gadgets for everything, I'm thinking there's
probably a just plain spoon that will do the deed nicely. I have a very
powerful electric mixer that could hold its own among cement mixers, and
assorted helpful gadgets but I need you to recommend a simple, comfortable
spoon. Any bakers here? Polly

Old April 19th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Have you tried using a good wooden spoon? My favorite mixing spoons are the
wooden ones I purchased from specialty stores (i.e. Williams Sonoma, etc.)
They just seem to have a nicer feel in my hand & they sure do hold up better
than the cheap ones I bought when I first started out. Mmmmmmmm - Home
baked bread. That sounds wonderful!

Pauline
Northern California

Old April 19th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Well, no, Pauline, I haven't. I do have some wooden spoons but they were
probably 3 for $1 about forty years ago. We certainly couldn't call them
special. Polly

"Pauline" wrote Have you tried using a good wooden spoon? My favorite
mixing spoons are the
wooden ones I purchased from specialty stores (i.e. Williams Sonoma, etc.)
They just seem to have a nicer feel in my hand & they sure do hold up
better than the cheap ones I bought when I first started out. Mmmmmmmm -
Home baked bread. That sounds wonderful!

Pauline
Northern California
"Polly Esther" wrote One of my favorite things is baking bread. Really.

Old April 19th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That is my thought. A really good wooden spoon is worth its weight in
gold. I have one that is sort of flat that is my favorite.
My grandma had a sort of 'Y' shaped wooden piece (sort of like
a slingshot shape) that she used with one type of bread dough. I think
grandpa carved that from a tree branch years earlier.
I enjoy baking a lot too. I like doing stuff like sweet rolls and other
assorted treats too.
TAke a look at these:
http://www.kitchencarvers.com/Stirring_and_Serving.htm
Boy, I had no idea how many kinds of neat wooden spoons there are!
I'll be interested to hear what others suggest.
Taria

Old April 19th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

You would have just howled if you could see me pause while reading your
answer to hold up an imaginary slingshot and try to figure out how it looked
like a spoon.
I really did haul out Alton Brown's book to see what suggestions he had.
Of all things, he suggested the right height for hefty stirring - as in,
doing the last heavy stirring down on table level instead of up on counter
height.
Thank you, Taria. I'll go over to
http://www.kitchencarvers.com/Stirring_and_Serving.htm and see what's there.
I've read about how serious some bakers can get about the care of their
wooden tools. I've never given my cheapies any particular attention but if
I find a friend, you can bet your boots I'll take care of it. Polly

"Taria" wrote That is my thought. A really good wooden spoon is worth its

Old April 19th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Yup, wooden spoon. I'm a bread baker, no machines, and I always use a wooden
spoon. You need a really good one though, I've snapped my share of 3 fer a
$1 spoons. My "bread spoon" is never used for anything else. Yup, gotta get
yourself a good wooden spoon Miss Polly.

Val

Old April 19th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

LOL Lord have mercy! I can't imagine you snapping a wooden spoon.
On second thought, oh yes, I can.
The place Taria showed us is wonderful fun - but I have no clue which
one would be best for heavy bread dough.
Left hand? Right hand? I have both. I am also ambifooterused. How to
choose? Polly

"Val" wrote Yup, wooden spoon. I'm a bread baker, no machines, and I

Old April 19th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Here's another place to get all kinds of bread related 'stuff' -
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/landing.jsp?go=Home

Donna in (SW) Idaho

Old April 19th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I am also ambifooterused. How to choose? Polly

First you put your two feet close up tight.......hahahahahaha....

My bread spoon came from my grandmother. I have no idea where she got it or
who made it. It has a slightly flattened handle and 13 inches long. I find
it easier to grip than my other spoons with round handles when beating up a
heavier dough. The bowl of the spoon is sort of tapered and shallow. Since
it's pretty much the same on both edges, and I'd assume works equally well
either in right or left hand, would that make it ambispoonerous?

Val

Old April 19th 08, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Took the words out of my mouth! I have several made of birch wood that are a
delight to use. And a set of olive wood salad servers. And a beautiful
little scoop (just bought in Seoul) that holds the right amount of rice for
2 people.
Roberta in D