Some people just have the touch.

Old January 14th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default Some people just have the touch.

no idea who wrote this, jus reading thru the replys on the thread and ran
across this.
yes t'were indeed 2006.
craft syndrome strikes again.
i spent the whole time with sore feet and sore jaw from the walking and gaping
in wonder.
could of been i saw sharons quilt as winner at 2005 online show.
geez, who knows. i'll never get to houston again i dont think.
right now walking round the house is an effort.
my feet are still sore. no idea why but i can not walk barefoot, need some
cushioning under the left heel or i favour that side and limp.
i really should just have a fulltime nap.
save all the hassle and nonsense here.
j.

"nzlstar*" wrote...

i also noticed that the voting was for the best quilt of '2007'.
she made this quilt a few years ago.
i think i saw it at the 2005 Houston show.

*snipped*
Jeanne, weren't you in Houston in 2006? g Time passes quickly....

Old January 14th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I am also very happy for her and think her work is awesome and that she
deserves the grand prizes.

Maybe what quilt shows need is a "Professional Division"- not just for those
who teach or write articles or books (they are not necessarily in the same
category as the quilters who repeatedly win at just about every major quilt
show they enter) but for professional quilters who make a substantial living
at it- just like I said in my original post. Or perhaps there could be a
division where their work is displayed but not judged in the competition in
order to give others a chance at the prizes and recognition.

Caryl Breyer Fallert comes to mind- it got to where she would always win at
Paducah whenever she entered- I really don't much follow other major quilt
shows- and her wins were all well deserved. She got established in the
quilting community- now her name is a household word among quilters. She
sells her fabrics, her quilts, her patterns and books on her website and has
a retail store in Paducah. Sharon has reached that same point- if she
enters a contest it's pretty much a given that she will win and she has her
retail enterprises.

I don't believe anybody has 'bashed' Sharon. We have a right to our own
opinions- and to state them in this unmoderated group- and if we decide to
subscribe to a website or not is our prerogative. It has nothing to do with
bashing- I'll decide how I want to spend my income and if I feel
justified/satisfied with the cost of a particular item..... or subscription.

Leslie

"KJ" wrote in message
Oh I hope I didn't start a thread to bash Sharon. That wasn't my
intention at all. Her work is awesome. I've taken one of her classes and
she expects a level of precision from herself and her students that would
win a ribbon for almost anyone who followed her instructions. But her
extra level of creativity in her design and color isn't one that can be
easily taught. She owned a bridal gown business for many years and did
couture sewing. She's worked hard to come as far as she has. I don't
subscribe to her site either, but I'm sure the instruction there is top
notch. I wouldn't hesitate to pay for one of her tutorials if I felt it
fit my need at the time.
Congratulations Sharon!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Taria" wrote in message
Seems to me if she won she met all the criteria to participate in the
contest. She is a really talented, nice woman. Is there a reason
women have to beat up women that are successful? (maybe that isn't a
woman thing but a 'people' thing) Heck, if she sent
me one of her quilts I would be proud to have it ; )

I'm not sending her $20 a month for her programs But I have one of her
books. It is a really nice book. Her work is very different than mine
but I am so inspired by what she has done I think she has just added
a whole lot to the quilting community. I hope she will continue to
do that.
Taria

Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

Doesn't every artistic medium have this state of affairs?
The Stars!
I'm thinking of seeing the same actors, over and over and over,
being given leading positions, whether or not they can give an adequate
performance: they are The Stars. Painting, quilting, music, dance,
writing, fashion, design (of all kinds), acting, even sports &
home repairs!-- The Stars are too-few and often over-sold.
Some people are better (have the touch) at self-promotion; some have
better agents. g Other artists may be standing back, knowing their
own
accomplishments are as good or nearly so, or better!, wondering,
"So what am I? Chopped liver?!"
One of the reasons I don't attend the Big Quilt Shows every year,
and don't buy (or even look at) all the quilt magazines is because the
same
quilters show up over & over again. Some (maybe most) of them deserve
the
honors. But I think the judges need to open their minds and take
another
look at what they haven't seen before. It's easy to recognize the
style of
many of these well-known quilters, so a judge can feel comfortable
in choosing a known winner, without giving much consideration
to New & Different. There's safety in popularity. g

However, some of these artists really do work harder at their craft,
put in the extra hours, give the attention to fine details, and their
work
is recognized and will continue to shine up there at the top.

As for the $100,000 quilt competition, if it's by "people's
choice"---
well, many, many, many of us quilting people never heard of it, never
saw
it, didn't vote, and in some cases g didn't care. Nice prize pot;
does one quilt/quilter win it all?
Sharon Schamber: http://sharonschamber.com/
Looks like this quilter is a business woman; good for her.
Beautiful work. If she can get people to sign up and send money, well,
she's
got that "touch", fer shur. ;-P But as much of it is
machine work, well, that's not my Number One favorite kind of quilting,
and I'm already a good handquilter so I don't reckon I'll lay any money
down
for this opportunity. I admire her organization to get so much done.
She really does go the extra steps, tho', to create her art:
http://www.sharonschamber.com/Gallery.htm

R/Sandy-- sometimes The Stars help keep the craft going...

On 1/13/08 1:11 PM, in article ,
"Leslie &
The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

I'm gonna be contrary and say that at some point these famous well known
'professional' quilters (the ones who are able to make a substantial
living
from quilting) should step aside and let someone else have the chance to
win
in these contests. They have proven how good they are and we all deeply
admire their amazing and vast talents, but still.....

Give someone else a chance to get that kind of exposure and make their
way
into the 'best of the best' of the quilting world. I kinda got a bad
feeling towards Sharon when she came out with this membership thing- she
wants more for her few online quilting demos than some pay for their
television cable or satellite television service 24/7 each month with a
good
selection of 'famous quilters' on many different quilting programs. No,
did not subscribe to Sharon's membership thing- I would if the cost had
been
$5 a month- but $20 a month.??? No way.

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"nzlstar*" wrote in message

i also noticed that the voting was for the best quilt of '2007'.
she made this quilt a few years ago.
i think i saw it at the 2005 Houston show.

*snipped*
Jeanne, weren't you in Houston in 2006? g Time passes quickly....

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message

Don't forget that the winner is chosen by ballot of the magazine
readers
(and the web site visitors too.) Sharon's business website posted a
large photo of her quilt, and asked for votes. Many of the winners of
the
various months/categories are not in the business and do not have
means
to promote their entry. Sharon's work is absolutely lovely, but many
of
the other entries were equally fantastic, IMO. It is so hard to choose
favorite, sometimes people just go with the quiltmakers they
recognize.
PAT in VA/USA

Old January 16th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Taria:
I do hope you realize I was not bashing Sharon. She IS very talented. I was
only pointing out that certain circumstance, such as having a commercial
business, can influence the viewers' choice votes. It is up to the voters
and the judges to decide in the end.

I would also like to point out that as I read the rules, the viewers' choice
votes count for 25% while judges points count for 75%.

Pat in Virginia

Old January 17th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Default OT: Heel Pain

If it's heel pain == you might want to read up on plantar faciaitis. I have
it in my right heel. Hurts like the devil. A few years ago I felt nearly
like an invalid. Could barely walk across the room -- and when I did the
pain was horrendous!!

--
Kate in MI

Old January 17th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz[_2_]

The other possibility if it's on the sole of the foot is a bone spur.....

Both benefit from a doctor.

--pig

Old January 18th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default Heel Pain

Mr Joe was just diagnosed with this. He has to wear a GOOD support shoe
(Walkers Tennis shoes with LOTS of cushioning), do certain stretch
exercises, and if it doesn't settle down in a coupla weeks he goes back and
is fitted with a shoe insert

HTH
Butterfly

. ..

Old January 18th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

Are you talking about heel pain at the back of the heel or on the
bottom? I have pain in the back, but it's intermittent and by the time
I get to the doctor, it's gone, but comes back in a few week.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old January 18th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

wrote:

Mr Joe was just diagnosed with this. He has to wear a GOOD support shoe
(Walkers Tennis shoes with LOTS of cushioning), do certain stretch
exercises, and if it doesn't settle down in a coupla weeks he goes back and
is fitted with a shoe insert

HTH
Butterfly

Be prepared to buy the insert. I have them. Expensive but well worth
it. I almost couldn't stand to even stand up, much less walk. I was
even getting foot cramps when I was off my feet too.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 18th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

ah gee, thanks for starting this thread, Kate.
i read thru the info i found online about the plantar faciaitis.
i dont think it is that as i have a good arch and the sites i read said it
usually came with flat feet.

its the actual pressure on the heel when i walk barefoot that hurts.
its not intense pain but enough to annoy me.
so i have to wear, pretty much all the time, some kind of well cushioned shoe.
right now i have two pairs, one is a slip on running shoe, the other a slip on
tennis shoe.
both have enough cushioning to fix me properly.
i just find it annoying to have to put them on when i get up in middle of the
night to go to the loo.

i dont think it is a spur either. as it sometimes doesnt hurt, very occasionally
tho.
i think i probably damaged it on the last trip to usa, all that walking thru
airport concrete floor terminals without good shoes on will do it i guess.
yes i know it was over a year ago now but at my age i'm a slow healer.
lucky i dont have a lot of walking to do, eh.
i'll keep my ears open to other ideas to research to see if i find anything else
that it might be.
cheers,
j.

. ..

Old January 18th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

still sounds like plantar faciatis Jeanne. If your heels hurt when going
barefoot...that's almost a sure sign. Wearing shoes almost always takes the
intense pain away..."almost" and only the intense...it still hurts some

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"nzlstar*" wrote in message
[...]