Newbie--need iron reviews/recommendations

Old December 7th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PogoGirl

Default Newbie--need iron reviews/recommendations

I joined this group just a couple of days ago and have enjoyed reading
through the messages--some great ideas here! I have great faith that
y'all can help me out.

I'm sick to death of the iron I use for quilting. It's a Black and
Decker "Classic"--I like everything about it except that the steam
holes have sharp edges and always catch corners and I end up pressing
tons of wrinkles into everything that are really hard to get out. Yes,
I've tried adjusting the way I press but it still happens and drives
me crazy. I'd like to find something else that I won't have to fight
with so much all the time.

I'd like an iron that either has no auto-off, or an auto-off override,
or at very least a LONG auto-off (ie, doesn't turn off every 5
minutes). I'd also really prefer it to have an on-off switch--I hate
the kind that you have to unplug to make sure it's really off.
Finally, those dang steam-holes have to be smooth so I'll stop
wrinkling up my corners.

I've been doing Internet research and haven't found myself sent in any
particular directions yet. Rowentas used to be all that and a bag of
chips but more recently they seem to have a lot of complaints about
leaking and such. I haven't heard much about any other brands at all.
Any thoughts? I really appreciate the help!

Sandy in snowy (but not as bad as some of you are having!) Spencerport
NY
Old December 7th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

PogoGirl wrote:

I'd like an iron that either has no auto-off, or an auto-off override,
or at very least a LONG auto-off (ie, doesn't turn off every 5
minutes). I'd also really prefer it to have an on-off switch--I hate
the kind that you have to unplug to make sure it's really off.
Finally, those dang steam-holes have to be smooth so I'll stop
wrinkling up my corners.

I recommend going to Walmart or Target and getting a $20 job of whatever
off brand they have on the shelf. There will be no fancy auto-off. To
turn it off, you either push a button or move a dial.

If you leave it on in the upright position, it stays on, wastes
electricity, but won't burn the house down. It's no different from
leaving on an electric light. But turn it off anyway. A good way to
make sure it is off is to plug it into a power bar along with a switch
that's connected to the lights. As you work, you turn the iron off
itself. When you leave the house, you turn the master switch off which
turns off the lights-- so it gets turned off twice. (I don't have this
system hooked up yet (which is how I know leaving it on overnight
doesn't hurt anything), but I'm working on it.)

My cheapie iron works, has steam or not, slides smoothly over fabric,
and basically does what an iron should do. It seems to be lasting a
good long time, but I don't remember when I bought it. If it does break
sooner than an expensive model, I'll replace it with another cheapie.

--Lia

Old December 7th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
PogoGirl wrote:

[...]

Welcome, Sandy, from another Sandy in a much warmer climate. I have a
Rowenta, and I've had no problems with it at all. Just wanted to give
you a bit of reassurance about the brand. I know some people are very
unhappy with theirs, but I love mine. BTW, you might want to try a
travel Rowenta. It's a very nice iron, gets good and hot, and mine
hasn't started leaking yet -- just like my "big" Rowenta. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old December 7th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

I also have a B & D Classic that I bought to replace a slew of
Rowentas that had gone south. They may have been the cat's whiscers at
one time but the quality control has become nonexistent and the price
has remained the same, High! I found the same thing about the steam
holes. I have been converted to using a dry iron for flattening the
pieces for quilting and have never looked back. What I did was go to
Target website, and order a Dry iron. there are no holes to catch and
it is simple and works for the purpose. The steam iron is great for
ironing clothes but not for quilting needs. The Iron I bought is the
only one that I have found that is available and is made in China. It
is also sold at the Vermont Country store, and probably other places
as well. It should cost you under $30 plus tax and shipping. It is
called Continental Titanium, and will convert you to using a dry iron
for piecing work. You really should flatten the seams, rather than
iron them, or at least that is what I have found. A number of other
people will probably attest to that idea as I was converted by people
on this forum. It will take you awhile to break the habit of ironing,
but it will soon become second nature. Try it and see if you don't
concur.

John

Old December 7th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Dec 7, 12:50 pm, John wrote:
Target website, and order a Dry iron. there are no holes to catch and
it is simple and works for the purpose.

Correction, I ordered it from Home Depot. I must have Target on the
brain as I just got back from shopping there this morning.

John
Old December 7th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

"Sandy" wrote in message

Welcome, Sandy, from another Sandy in a much warmer climate. I have a
Rowenta, and I've had no problems with it at all. Just wanted to give
you a bit of reassurance about the brand. I know some people are very
unhappy with theirs, but I love mine. BTW, you might want to try a
travel Rowenta. It's a very nice iron, gets good and hot, and mine
hasn't started leaking yet -- just like my "big" Rowenta. G

I've been thinking 'bout the "Pink Iron for Breast Cancer Awareness" by
Rowenta... it's gotten great reviews (unlike the other Rowentas JoAnn's
offers) at JoAnn.com.

The iron I have now is a 5 year old B&D Pro ... it works well, but the nose
is blunt - which makes it hard to get into tight areas, or to "nose" into
seams. And it's begun leaking (though not to the point where it's unusable -
just a PITA). Still, it was a good iron for all the work I put it through
.... I'm sure I've put at least 5 hours a week on it in the past 5 years!!
More, if you count all the shirts I've made hubby usin' David Coffin's
techniques (which require a LOT of pressing!!).

Sooo ... if no one has any negative critiques on the Rowenta Pink iron, I'll
be getting that next week!!

Hugs!!
Connie

Old December 7th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Dec 7, 1:03 pm, "SewVeryCreative" ConnieATsewverycreativeDOTcom
wrote:
"Sandy" wrote in message

[...]

I wouldn't buy a take another Rowenta if you gave it to me. Three of
them have leaked to such an extent that they wouldn't Iron without
putting water on everything and leave a pool where it was standing. I
have called the company and requested that they deal with it under
warranty and they said send it back and I did and when I got it back
it still leaked. Three of their highest priced professional irons at
over $100 per iron. Maybe Rowenta was a superior brand some time ago,
but the irons that are sold under the brand name today are junk, in my
experience. They are trading on their brand name and if you look on
the web,say at Amazon.com for coments about Rowenta you will find a
lot of people that have had the same experience as me. If you own a
Rowenta and it works, great. If you are a gambler with a lot of money
to spend, then buy a Rowenta. If you want to be sure that you get an
iron that dosen't leak, don't buy a Rowenta.

John
Old December 7th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

i agree, John. I bought a Rowenta, it cracked at the base and i sent
it back. they didnt fix it, just plugged the hole with something. i
threw it out and bought another one. it spits too.
i have a Sunbeam from Wally World i like for pressing. Cheap, reliable
and lightweight. i keep the Rowenta around for DS's uniforms, but
never put water in it. use it dry.
amy in CNY
Old December 7th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

PogoGirl wrote:
[...]

I've had a Rowenta for several years and not had any problem with it. It
was one of their less expensive models. As for the lot of negative
reviews on amazon.com, I sometimes wonder if it's mainly the people who
have problems who post reviews; perhaps many of the satisfied users
don't post a review. You may want to check the Consumer Reports reviews
and recommendations; I think those are pretty unbiased. Any public
library should have Consumer Reports for you to look at.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/