Pattern errata page

Old December 7th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Default Pattern recognition and such was Pattern errata page

Thanks for the cool and informative message. In some ways, I'm the
least dyslexic person there is. I learned to read straight away, then
had no trouble learning to read Hebrew and music. It's not that I'm
talented in either, I'm just good at picking up symbols in order. But
the lefts and rights thing could drive me nuts. I can pull into a
parking lot from one direction, then get mixed up pulling out from the
same spot. Maps, landmarks, equally useless. I adore New York City
where I can look in the distance and see the numbered street signs going
up or down and thereby figure out which way north is. Only then does
a map help, where everything has a sign on it anyway.

I'm great with signs printed in English. Similarly, the marks on rulers
and the math needed for quilting has never presented a problem for me.

This morning I was at it again. After all I wrote about coming up with
ingenious little ways to count and keep track of the blocks and their
mirror images, I still managed to get a set mixed up. My chart clearly
said L for left, but I reached for the right template and got a set
wrong. When I pointed out the tragedy to Jim, he suggested that the
extra right set could be used over there instead of down here and that
the colors would be fine, but until I got to that point, I felt like I
was being punished for my hubris in thinking I could do it.

--Lia

Pati C. wrote:
Julia, and others, there are a bunch of tests that can be given to check
a number of different learning styles and so forth. Some of these end up
being confused with "IQ tests" and involve pattern recognition.VBG I
am one of those people who tend to do very well on them. Many others
don't. It all depends on the way your mind operates and how you have
learned to do a lot of different things.
Usually I can deal with shoes, not sure about gloves because they are
not in high demand where I have lived most of my life. G But then
again, I don't always think "with words".... I see my shoes, and reach
out to the correct one with the correct foot, not really thinking about
left/right. G

With quilt blocks, I do tend to see the pattern, and notice things like
mirror image, rotation and so on. Most of the time. But that is just me.
I also am good with maps, and when I know the major landmarks I don't
usually get lost. G Do know that I end up being very uncomfortable
after too long in the Central Plains states because there are no
mountains to help me know where what is. G

When I have a quilt/block that has mirror images I usually layer my
fabric with right sides together and cut mirrored pairs. That way I
don't cut uneven numbers of parts. (don't ask.....) As a note, when I
write patterns that is what I recommend doing too. It just makes it a
bit easier in my mind. The way you did it is definitely a workable
solution.VBG and it works for you, which is the important part.

Glad to see you back with us.

Old December 7th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the cool and informative message. In some ways, I'm the least
dyslexic person there is. I learned to read straight away, then had no
trouble learning to read Hebrew and music. It's not that I'm talented in
either, I'm just good at picking up symbols in order.

I've read some interesting studies about the differences in how people fix
"maps" (whether it a paper map, a mental map of your town, or a quilt block)
in their mind. Some people need everything to be in a fixed orientation or
need to see things in a certain order, while others have no problem with
rotations and translations. It's just how your brain works best, so you go
with it.

My brain does rotations and translations very well -- too well, because
often when I see something rotated or flipped, I don't realize there is a
difference. Needless to say, I stink at telling my left shoe from my right,
but I can read upside down almost as fast as I can read rightside up.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old December 8th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie

On 8 Dec, 02:54, "Pati C." wrote:
[...]

Pati, in Phx

Julia Altshuler wrote:
This leads me to another question. You see a glove lying on a table.
How long does it take you to figure out if it is a right or a left? Can
you look at it and know immediately? What about with a shoe? I'm a
little faster with shoes, but they puzzle me. With gloves, I have to
pick it up and test it against my right and left hands while thinking
about it consciously. I have no faster or more automatic way of doing it.

With this pattern, I ultimately ended up drafting the triangle block
twice. One I colored with red crayon and put it on the right side of my
table. The other I colored with lemon yellow crayon and put it on the
left side of my table. Then, as I made the pieces, I used the red/right
or lemon/left templates, and stacked them the red/right or lemon/left
side of my table. I have no faster or more automatic way of doing it.

--Lia

My twin sister and I both give directions in the car confusing left
and right! We *know* what we mean but can't articulate it - so we
use our hands. Weird. However, I do have a good sense of direction
( I was a map maker in another life, okay, so it was geology....) and
am a good navigator when we are driving in foreign lands (making
allowances for the above foible).
--
Bronnie
Old December 8th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Bronnie wrote:
My twin sister and I both give directions in the car confusing left
and right! We *know* what we mean but can't articulate it - so we
use our hands. Weird.

I'm the same way. It's frustrating to DH when he's driving and I'm
navigating.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 8th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

I've read some interesting studies about the differences in how people fix
"maps" (whether it a paper map, a mental map of your town, or a quilt block)
in their mind. Some people need everything to be in a fixed orientation or
need to see things in a certain order, while others have no problem with
rotations and translations. It's just how your brain works best, so you go
with it.

My brain does rotations and translations very well -- too well, because
often when I see something rotated or flipped, I don't realize there is a
difference. Needless to say, I stink at telling my left shoe from my right,
but I can read upside down almost as fast as I can read rightside up.

There we go. Reading upside down. Back before he realized it was
useless, Jim used to insist that I keep the map in my lap and navigate
while he drove. If we were facing south, I'd put the map upside down so
the map accurately reflected the lay of the land. I could flip the
letters in my brain with ease. Flipping the orientation of the map in
my brain was a no-go. Jim thought it was hysterical.

--Lia

Old December 8th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Three cheers for the 'Lady in the Sky'. She is my friend! She can even
navigate the right way to go round roundabouts in France.

DSonIL has recently done driving trips to Italy on his own and asked if
we had any tips as he hadn't done big trips abroad, just a hire car in
the area they were on holiday.

Our first tip was 'The Lady in the Sky' (TomTom), and he now agrees,
although DD says she wishes the lady wouldn't talk over the radio just
when the punch line of a joke/quiz happens!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old December 9th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Default Pattern errata page- update

I've now found an email address for Barron's and written to report the
error to them. I've also found an email address for Celia Eddy and
written to her. I don't know if either address is up to date.

--Lia

Old December 10th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Heather in WestOz

I just tell my driver to go the way I point not the way I say cos I tend to
say left regardless. It just comes out of my mouth that way.

Heather in West Oz

Julia in MN wrote:
Bronnie wrote:
My twin sister and I both give directions in the car confusing left
and right! We *know* what we mean but can't articulate it - so we
use our hands. Weird.

I'm the same way. It's frustrating to DH when he's driving and I'm
navigating.

Julia in MN

New page on my site with free MK hat and scarf pattern Leah Yarn 0 October 15th 06 02:59 PM
Finding errata JJMolvik Yarn 4 April 11th 06 12:21 AM
Errata: Interweave Press errata Wooly Yarn 0 December 30th 04 04:26 PM
Errata for Two Sticks and a String Wooly Yarn 3 December 29th 04 03:34 PM
Two Sticks and a String errata bdianeVA Yarn 0 November 17th 04 02:32 PM