Pattern errata page

Old December 6th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Default Pattern errata page

--Lia here. I used to be a regular. I've resubscribed at the moment
because I have a question and a warning.

Is there a website online that lists errors in quilt patterns, someplace
where, if you find an error in the math or directions for a quilt, you
can let others know about it?

I'm working on a quilt. I think it's quite cool. It's based on floor
tiles in the Moorish Palace, the Alhambra, in Grenada, Spain. The grid
is 60 degrees, not the 90 degree blocks I'm used to. The pattern is in
_Quilting Illusions_ by Celia Eddy.

The directions clearly say that you need ONE triangular block made
exactly the same to fit together into hexagons that form the quilt. The
illustrations show you how to draft that ONE block. Uh-uh. Only when
you get around to making it and putting the pieces together do you
discover that you need TWO blocks, the one shown, and its mirror image.
That's not at all apparent when you look at the diagram and read the
directions carefully.

I'm not normally a stickler. For that matter, I don't normally depend
on the directions that much. I usually look at the diagram, glance at
the directions, figure out how I'm going to make the quilt based on my
own favorite methods, don't worry about how much fabric the pattern
tells me I'm going to need because I'm glad to buy extra and Heaven
knows there's enough fabric around here anyway. I wouldn't be raising a
fuss over a little typo, but this error could be serious. You could
have someone making 54 blocks one way when she really needed 26 of the
one illustrated and 26 cut and sewn differently. There's no way to
switch them after they've been sewn.

Working in 60 degrees in different for me, and the original and mirror
image thing isn't readily apparent from the diagram. (Before anyone
thinks I just missed it, when I got to the point where I was having
trouble, I called Jim in, Jim the spatial and visual genius, and asked
him to fit the pieces together so they matched the diagram. It took him
several minutes of fiddling around before he came to the same conclusion
I did. You just don't see it unless you study it and are looking for it.)

I'd call this a significant error. I'd like to save quiltmakers some
grief, but I don't know how to let quiltmakers know. There's an address
for the publisher (Barron's educational series) at the front of the
book, and I'll write to them, but I thought I'd ask here for other ideas
on how to get the word out.

--Lia

Old December 6th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Well, Lia, what a nice surprise. I've been hoping you were alive, well and
still quilting. So good to have you report in. Polly

. ..

Old December 6th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

All of that is way out of my comfort zone but it's so good to see a message
from you, Lia.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old December 6th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Usually if you go to the publisher's website, they will have an errata link
that lists errors in books. Otherwise, you could try to contact the
designer directly, if that information is available on the pattern.

Pauline
Northern California

Old December 6th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Yes, there is a site..I don't know it right off and I don't know if
it is up to date but I'll try to find it. Thanks for letting us know about
that one! Mary

Old December 6th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Default Pattern errata page-book site

Here it is...but I think the latest entry was a couple of years ago.
How old is the book? I didn't ck to see if it was listed.
Mary
http://www.quilt.com/Errata.html

Old December 6th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

MB wrote:
Here it is...but I think the latest entry was a couple of years ago.
How old is the book? I didn't ck to see if it was listed.
Mary
http://www.quilt.com/Errata.html

I'm up bright and early (well, maybe not bright), have been to the site,
filled out the form, and feel good about putting out the word in one
place. (It hadn't been listed previously.)

For those of you who use patterns frequently when quilting, do you look
online for corrections before starting?

Or maybe my real question is, how much do you depend on the instructions
when making a quilt from a pattern? Does anyone see the picture, decide
they want to make that quilt, buy the amount of fabric asked for, and
follow the directions exactly?

I ask because that's what tripped me up. You could say I make quilts
from patterns all the time. I buy books and magazines, look at
pictures, get a grasp for how the quilt goes together, change this,
fiddle with that, draft it myself, do some math, start sewing, change my
mind, put it on point, decide it looked better not on point, measure it
again, buy some more fabric, etc. But I do use patterns.

The one time I was dependent on the directions and really hadn't fiddled
with anything very much, I ran into something that's driving me nuts. I
guess I'm wondering how often this happens to everyone else.

--Lia

Old December 6th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Julia Altshuler wrote:
MB wrote:
[...]

When I do the "follow this pattern" thing, I usually read everything
several times beforehand. I keep reading until I understand every step
of it. I guess I hardly ever (if ever) "just" follow the instructions.

I'm sure there are typos in some of the books I use, but they haven't
attacked me yet.

What does get me is that some of the drafting in the DJ book seems to be
so obviously wrong compared to the pictures. That I will never understand.

My mum had a problem with a sweater she was knitting. She tried
everything. She asked me for advice (Ha, I don't knit, but I do know
about symmetry). She went to all the wool shops in town, no one could
help. In the end she called the designer, got some help.I think she
ended up calling the designer again to make sure she had gotten it
right. Thankfully, the designer was Danish also so there was no language
barrier. Can you imagine??? BTW, the designer was very good about helping!

Hanne in London

Old December 6th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

MB wrote:
Here it is...but I think the latest entry was a couple of years ago.
How old is the book? I didn't ck to see if it was listed.
Mary
http://www.quilt.com/Errata.html

I'm up bright and early (well, maybe not bright), have been to the site,
filled out the form, and feel good about putting out the word in one
place. (It hadn't been listed previously.)

For those of you who use patterns frequently when quilting, do you look
online for corrections before starting?

No ... I usually trust that the patterns have been checked. I think I'm
spoiled from my years of making patterns from the "good" mags that have
their "quilt testers."

But then, I rarely buy quilting pattern *books* - I usually buy quilting
books for inspiration (which I'll take off of), techniques, or just funny
stuff!

Or maybe my real question is, how much do you depend on the instructions
when making a quilt from a pattern? Does anyone see the picture, decide
they want to make that quilt, buy the amount of fabric asked for, and
follow the directions exactly?

I always promise myself that I *will* but I never do. I'll follow the
directions more closely if it's a technique I've never done before ... but
if it's piecing or applique, and not a "new" technique, I just go with it
and do it *my* way.

I ask because that's what tripped me up. You could say I make quilts
from patterns all the time. I buy books and magazines, look at
pictures, get a grasp for how the quilt goes together, change this,
fiddle with that, draft it myself, do some math, start sewing, change my
mind, put it on point, decide it looked better not on point, measure it
again, buy some more fabric, etc. But I do use patterns.

You're using your imagination and skillset more, though!!

The one time I was dependent on the directions and really hadn't fiddled
with anything very much, I ran into something that's driving me nuts. I
guess I'm wondering how often this happens to everyone else.

All. The. Time.

I look at it this way (and feel free to call me a looney!), whenever I go to
a new area, I do two things: I buy a map and I get lost. On purpose. When
you get "lost" (but you have the map as back-up - I may be a loon, but I'm
not an idiot!!), you see things you wouldn't ordinarily see otherwise. I've
found wonderful friends, neat mom'n'pop stores, and even ... FABRIC stores
that way!!

But it isn't just about what you get to see, but you also get to stretch
your wings a little and learn what road leads you to the manure processing
plant and how not to go there again.

With quilting, I do the same thing ... I think doing it "your way" helps you
to learn the pros and cons of every technique - and REALLY helps you learn
the principle behind the technique - otherwise, you're just "parroting"
someone else's method and haven't made it your own.

Leastways, that's my opinion.

Hugs!!
Connie

--Lia

Old December 6th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Lia - Great to see you again! Although you have updated the web-site, I
would still recommend that you contact the publisher. I always make a test
block or two prior to starting anything "new" or challenging for me so that
I can get a feel for how difficult it will be to complete a project ( and we
all know I have difficulty in that regard! ). This way if there is a
problem, I can contact the publisher of the book/pattern.

- dlm. in central MA, queen of UFOs ( and procrastination )

New page on my site with free MK hat and scarf pattern Leah Yarn 0 October 15th 06 02:59 PM
Finding errata JJMolvik Yarn 4 April 11th 06 12:21 AM
Errata: Interweave Press errata Wooly Yarn 0 December 30th 04 04:26 PM
Errata for Two Sticks and a String Wooly Yarn 3 December 29th 04 03:34 PM
Two Sticks and a String errata bdianeVA Yarn 0 November 17th 04 02:32 PM