The Bi-Annual Chore

Old June 22nd 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise[_2_]

Default Black and White - was The Bi-Annual Chore

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:00:56 +0100, Hanne Gottliebsen
wrote:

Butterflywings wrote:
"Liz Megerle" wrote in message
Butterflywings wrote:

On the other hand..I am collecting for a black/white quilt----just
haven't found a design that would make me happy yet---I'm thinking I
don't want to be locked into one shape but I don't want a sampler and I
don't want to loose the prints on some of these fabrics either......gonna
hafta do some more cogitatin on this one........

Butterfly (sounds like I need to get back to quilting, doesn't itg)
My mom made a wistful mention of "something in black and white, with maybe
a touch of red", and this is what I came up with. It's the Bento Box
pattern, but I set the blocks on point.
The off-whites don't stand out so much in real life, but they aren't pure
white, either.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49602776zKoMQY

Snipped very quietly

Bento Box has possibilities without red....I do not want any 'color'...thus
the real challenge.... I have all the way from stark white to black black
and shades in-between but OFF-white will not be used nor will gray (at this
point) the blacks will have prints from TOT to black/white and the same with
the whites. I should check it out to see if I have enuf to get started, eh?
Have a feeling this might end up being Queen size by the time I'm done.
I had seriously thought of Bargello but I don't want to cut them up that
much and I wasn't that crazy about doing it.(As an aside, I had leftover
reds Bargello that I finally used for my SM cover. Leftovers were from a
vest I made someone quite a few years ago.)

Thanks for the ideas

Butterfly

What about something with tessellations - here is a black and white with
a little red:

http://gottliebsen.dk/Pics/vejen_hjem2.jpg

But my point is that you could make this going from stark black and
"dark" white to stark white with a light black and still keep the
contrasts. And of course, don't include the red :-)

Another one where you can go from black/white prints to white/black
prints (and leave out the touch of red) is Maiike Bakker's Optical
Illusions, shown here
http://softexpressions.com/software/...rpPieceQlt.php
and here
http://www.creations-online.com/pattkits/quilts.htm

Louise
Old June 22nd 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I did this one in black & white with a red inner border.
http://www.sewandquilt.com/design/project/bubbles.html. It's easier
than it might look; the 60-degree ruler simplifies cutting. I was really
pleased with the result. This is definitely a pattern I'll use again. I
haven't got the pictures on the 'net yet.

Julia in MN

Liz Megerle wrote:
Butterflywings wrote:

On the other hand..I am collecting for a black/white quilt----just
haven't found a design that would make me happy yet---I'm thinking I
don't want to be locked into one shape but I don't want a sampler and
I don't want to loose the prints on some of these fabrics
either......gonna hafta do some more cogitatin on this one........

Butterfly (sounds like I need to get back to quilting, doesn't itg)

My mom made a wistful mention of "something in black and white, with
maybe a touch of red", and this is what I came up with. It's the Bento
Box pattern, but I set the blocks on point.
The off-whites don't stand out so much in real life, but they aren't
pure white, either.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49602776zKoMQY

And if you're looking at my pictures, check out
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...49602776suCYnV
I took the Bargello Seasons class at Quilt University last year. The
individual projects are in the same album, as well as the backing I've
chosen.

Both tops are going to my longarmer next month.
Liz

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old June 22nd 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

Butterflywings wrote:

[...]

You're most welcome, Ms. B! The bento box blocks finish at 15.5", so it
gets big very fast. I ran out of fabric, and didn't want to buy more
short strips of each, so I laid them out on point and it was big enough.
(about 72x90, I think) I bought 2.5 yards to make all the filler
triangles and binding, and there's not much left over.

Louise, thanks for the pointer to the Optical Illusions pattern. That's
my cup of tea!
Liz
Old June 22nd 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thanks, I like that idea.

Keep sending them please, I need ideas

Butterfly (Ok ok, the one that sends the design I use gets a FQ-----there
now YOU have to keep track of what you sendg)
Butterflywings wrote:

[...]

Hanne in London

Old June 22nd 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

IF it helps any, some of the fabrics have
'flowers/butterflies/roses/dominoes definite subjects that I'd like to keep
whole if possible. No, not to the point of fussy cutting but squares/
tri/rec-angles that are big enuf to be identifiable without taking over the
overall effect. Still leaning toward Bento.....

More ideas are welcome...

Butterfly (wanting this to be a fun project all the way around)

Old June 22nd 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default The Bi-Annual Chore or not?

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:37:39 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

That is such a surprise. I had no idea that those books were out of print.
Sooner or later, every quilter is going to want or need to make a crib quilt
and you might as well be prepared. Polly

I am planning a Cat quilt for myself, using cat prints and cat
applique patterns.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old June 24th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:55:38 -0700, "Butterflywings"
wrote:

IF it helps any, some of the fabrics have
'flowers/butterflies/roses/dominoes definite subjects that I'd like to keep
whole if possible. No, not to the point of fussy cutting but squares/
tri/rec-angles that are big enuf to be identifiable without taking over the
overall effect. Still leaning toward Bento.....

More ideas are welcome...

Butterfly (wanting this to be a fun project all the way around)

Have you thought about star blocks using the darker fabrics for
background and the lighter ones for the stars? A Lone Star starting
with lights and moving through the shades from light in the center to
dark to light again at the points.

Milky Way would look cool in shades of black and white
http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MilkyWayBlock.html

This block seems to be designed for black and white:
http://www.quilterscache.com/F/Four&...irdsBlock.html

and so does this:
http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SpiderwebBlock.html

The Red Herring block at Quilter's Cache is meant to be used with
several shades of fabric. It would look nifty in B&W. I'm not sure
why it's paper pieced since it would be easier to strip piece the four
units of the block.
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RedHerringsBlock.html

Another block that might work well in black and white
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RibbonCrossBlock.html

And here is a simple block that would be good to use
http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OhSusannahBlock.html
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old June 24th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

You have 2 that have caught my eye: "Four and Twenty" would be nice for
showing them off and then "Spiderweb" would be neat for the leftovers.
Still congitatin.going to line all these up side by side and see which one
calls to me......
Keep em coming, folks.......

Butterfly (please)

news

Old June 25th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Default The Bi-Annual Chore

"Butterflywings" wrote in message

On the other hand..I am collecting for a black/white quilt----just haven't
found a design that would make me happy yet---I'm thinking I don't want to
be locked into one shape but I don't want a sampler and I don't want to
loose the prints on some of these fabrics either......gonna hafta do some
more cogitatin on this one........

Ever since I went to that Machine Quilters show, I haven't been able to get
that black/ecru quilt out of my mind. I think there's one of them in my
future.

Cindy -