Needlework as Solace

Old June 17th 04, 07:27 PM
lula

Default Needlework as Solace

They've always said doing needlework or any type of handwork is relaxing
and soothing to the mind, especially a mind in stress.

I've found this to be very true in the hardest way having lost our
beloved son Michael a few weeks ago......it's a small comfort letting my
mind drift into a lifelong mode doing mental artwork where I actually do
drawings, trying on colors and so on.

The physical act of normalcy, choosing fabrics.......the cutting out
pieces of various linens, silk gauze pieces, colorful quilt
fabrics......then basting the edges of pieces that need to be
done.......all gives my mind a chance to "rest" a little from
overwhelming grief.

Then I feel guilty for this "pleasure" but only for a short time because
I know my son Michael would have been pleased that I've stopped crying
and get back to what I do best, he was so proud of my
accomplishments.....as he once said, I love everything you make
Mom.......and even more amazing, have actually felt he "nudged" me to do
just this.

It's a good thing to have creative skills to fall back on
now.......needlework being the perfect catalyst for my feelings.......I
can put it down when I need to and pick it up whenever.........unlike
painting with parts that must be done immediately that can't be
interrupted.

I can even disguise imperfections that only I'll know about that I
couldn't get away with similar flaws in painting.

Needlework, the act of stitching is so relaxing.......I get drawn into
it even against my will as I become mesmerized watching the colored
threads develop into shapes and patterns........at some point, my mind
becomes relaxed and literally mindless as if in a dream.....stitching
becomes an escape to a place where nothing bad ever happens, a pleasant
illusion.

So, despite my broken heart, my mind continues to create ideas to stitch
and paint.......life goes on no matter what but because of our skills,
we can honor those we love whether living or those that have died with
tangible creations made lovingly with our own hands.

One of my projects will be a memorial to our son Mike.....as he was the
sunshine of our life, I'd like to make a textile collage, a small art
quilted piece.......a bright happy, embellished design to celebrate an
extraordinary life.
For the first go-round, I see swirling happy colors and a sun motif of
some type.......will end up doing several versions.....who knows where
this will lead to? That's how designs start and good ideas become better
and better......

I wish to say again how much Roger & I appreciated the caring thoughts
and prayers on our behalf, to all who have kindly reached out to us
during this awful time, thank you from our hearts.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures
Old June 17th 04, 07:52 PM
Addie

{{{hugs}}}

--

remove "nospam" to reply

WIP: Winter into Spring Mystery Sampler, TW's Storyteller

Old June 17th 04, 07:58 PM
Joan Erickson

lula wrote:

They've always said doing needlework or any type of handwork is relaxing
and soothing to the mind, especially a mind in stress.

More ((((((((Lula, Roger and families))))))))
Lula, this essay was just *beautiful*!!! I hope you don't mind that
I've printed it as a reminder how the simple things in life are what
gets us through the really hard times.
My prayers continue for you and your families' healing.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old June 17th 04, 08:05 PM
Skyhooks

{{{{Lula}}}},

How well you so eloquently describe "Needlework as Solace." Like Joan,
I've saved your words for comfort.

Helen (Skyhooks)
hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

reply-to address munged - read line above.
Old June 17th 04, 11:21 PM
Karen C - California

In article , lula
writes:

They've always said doing needlework or any type of handwork is relaxing
and soothing to the mind, especially a mind in stress.

You've got that right! It's gotten me through all sorts of stressful events.

--
Finished 5/21/04 - Fireman's Wife
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old June 18th 04, 02:37 PM
anne

snip

Your Michael will be remembered with love each and every time you look at the
piece you're designing now as a memorial.

as someone else said {{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

Anne
Old June 18th 04, 03:29 PM
Linda Wright

My heart goes out to you and your family.

I know you will make beauty out of this terrible time, in memorial to Michael.

Linda
Old June 18th 04, 05:59 PM
BDS2pds

You are an inspiration Lula. My heart is with you. Barbie