Xmas is Coming! Brenda's Gift

Old October 28th 05, 04:11 PM
flytyer37

Default Xmas is Coming! Brenda's Gift

Well, I'm back. This is a replay of Frank's wonderful odyssey in
search of the perfect Christmas gift for the quilting wiff who has
everything. Yes, EVERYTHING (well, almost)! She's still trying to
convince me that she needs a full-up long arm machine. Well, that
ain't gonna happen until she cleans up that sewing room of hers.
Secondarily, her mother will be here for Christmas. I'm just the lout
she married, not good enough for her daughter, so I want to show MIL
how wonderful I am. Yes, its petty, but what the hey. MIL is a great
sewer (hmmm, that sounded great, but doesn't look it in print) in her
own right, so she'll know if I'm getting Brenda the real deal.
I'll sit back and wait for your wonderful replies. (by the way, notice
that I'm not waiting till the last minute?).

Frank Reid

Old October 28th 05, 04:22 PM
Georg

flytyer37 wrote:
Well, I'm back. This is a replay of Frank's wonderful odyssey in
search of the perfect Christmas gift for the quilting wiff who has
everything. Yes, EVERYTHING (well, almost)! She's still trying to
convince me that she needs a full-up long arm machine. Well, that
ain't gonna happen until she cleans up that sewing room of hers.
Secondarily, her mother will be here for Christmas. I'm just the lout
she married, not good enough for her daughter, so I want to show MIL
how wonderful I am. Yes, its petty, but what the hey. MIL is a great
sewer (hmmm, that sounded great, but doesn't look it in print) in her
own right, so she'll know if I'm getting Brenda the real deal.
I'll sit back and wait for your wonderful replies. (by the way, notice
that I'm not waiting till the last minute?).

Frank Reid

How much wall space does she have left? Any room for cabinets, shelves,
bins, ideally that you can build yourself and use tools or hint for
tools you want? It may work as a subtle hint to help her get organized
and neatened.

Not a long-armer and no room for one that I can imagine so far, but I
love hearing your stories. Good luck, and have a cookie for not waiting
last minute!

-georg
Old October 28th 05, 04:53 PM
KJ

No gift ideas yet. But your spelling observation is probably why I often
see the word "sewist" instead of "sewer". The old fashioned word would be
seamstress, but I suppose that isn't PC.
I'm not sure what machine she has, but would the new Bernina 440 with the
stitch regulater fit in the plans?
Other than a bunch of new sewing machines on the market, I can't think of
any new tools or notions. You might want to wait until all the Houston
Market and Festival attendees chime in. They may have discovered something
wonderful. Good luck!
KJ

oups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 05:24 PM
quilter

Keepsake Quilting (keepsakequilting.com - they have friendly telephone
service too) sells bags of 100 fat quarters (a 1/4 cut of fabric) for
$99. Despite what some husbands may think, you can never have too much
fabric, and I personally would be delighted with it as a gift. *Mental
note to accidentally forward this to my husband*

Lynn

Old October 28th 05, 05:56 PM
Taria

Not sure how here sewing room is set up but this is a neat new
item:
http://hornofamerica.com/products.cf...c=view&pID=101

Looks like it MSRP is something like $975. Since it is new she could
be one of the first to have one. Seems I always need another table.
There are a lot of neat newish machine cases out now. That might be fun
for going to classes.
Does she have one of those glass chest quilt holders that seem to be
sold at most of the big show? They are nifty.
How about a Featherweight maple table (the real one not the folding
card one) How about a specially colored Featherweight to put in
the table?
A bunch of pair of new ginghers? WOuldn't that be decadent?
It really gets to a point where you kind of have everything if
you quilt long enough.
Maybe a pretty stained glass window for her sewing room with her
name or something quilty on it?
Looking forward to what others come up with.
TAria

Old October 28th 05, 06:22 PM
flytyer37

The woman has a ton and a half of fabric (as measured by the movers).
The floor will not support any more. :-)
Frank

Old October 28th 05, 06:22 PM
flytyer37

Old October 28th 05, 06:26 PM
Patti

Great to see you Frank. I think my best ideas this year are things
Brenda - the vary favoured g - might already have. But, they are on
my list!
A turntable cutting board and a new OTT light that clips onto the edge
of the table. (I have a daylight anglepoise, but it gives out so much
heat ...The OTT will remain almost cool).
It doesn't have to be *one* thing; could be several smaller treasures,
no?

(Sewer = sewist, in written context, just in case!!)
..
In message .com,
flytyer37 writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 28th 05, 08:04 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
And welcome back, Frank.

So glad you asked this question, because last week I discovered
the PERFECT perfect perfect gift for anyone who quilts. And for all those
who don't quilt.
http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...;modelCode=G55

This navigation system takes you, and your lovely wife, of course,
anywhere you want to go. Well, actually, the lovely automobile that comes
w/ the system takes you there, the dvd tells you which way to turn.
It's excellent, I mean it; I wouldn't be without it and will insist on
having one w/ my next Mercedes (which could be anytime). We were in
Germany last week w/ a new SLK (well, 2, actually, but we turned one in to
the shipping company 2 blocks later and kept the silver one for the week),
and the very nice people at the factory installed the dvd for us and showed
us how to program it. [They didn't know, in Stuttgart, that there's a quilt
shop,
Stoffe und Patchwork, in Rothenburg; I knew it.
http://www.patchworkladen.de/ ] The dvd will guide you to any shop,
any festival, any eatery, anywhere, including the USA.
Alternate choice for gift-giving: the dependable, delightful, divine
PT Cruiser; also great for getting to the shops and shows.
Btw, if the lady wants a big quilting machine, why doesn't she go get
herself one? In this family, the women don't wait for permission from the
men for quilting supplies (or much else) g.
That Horn table looks pretty good; so does the glass & oak display
chest: http://quiltcurio.tripod.com/ Either or both would fold up nicely
and
fit into a PT Cruiser.
Hey, you're not cheaping out on us here, are you, Frank?
You have a Mother-in-Law to impress!

Ragmop/Sandy --commending you for making plans early

oups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 08:08 PM
Don/Gen

No ideas yet, but welcome back. We've missed you. Now off to put on the
thinking cap-----does she have an embroidery machine. If she had one, she
could add another dimension to her quilts.
Gen

oups.com...

OT, mostly-- Xmas gift Kaytee Beads 1 December 27th 04 03:49 AM
OT - need gift help Julia Altshuler Quilting 12 May 31st 04 04:23 PM
FA: FOSSILS - Dinosaur Teeth & Eggs, Shark Teeth, Plant & Fish Fossils, For XMAS Gifts Disgo Marketplace 0 December 12th 03 04:32 PM
AD:Royal Egyptian Lotus Set; Free Shipping w/Buy It Now; Gift Ideas Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 0 November 24th 03 04:55 AM
AD:Royal Egyptian Lotus Set; Free Shipping w/Buy It Now; Gift Ideas Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Marketplace 0 November 24th 03 04:55 AM