OT Survey- sharing a computer?

Old February 1st 05, 10:05 PM
Liz & Allan MacDonald

Bonnie wrote:
Diana Curtis wrote:

I have to smile....Mike and I have our computers where we can see one
another, he is just down the hall from me. There have been times we have
used yahoo to message one another. Its fun. Oh, then there was the day I
used the text message option to find out if he would be home soon, he
said
yes, and then walked in the door a few seconds later. He has a piquant
sense
of humor.
Diana

That sounds like Ralph - he usually calls to say he's leaving the
office. The trip takes around 1 hour, so I ususlly don't start cooking
until he calls. On several occasions he'll call from the driveway and
say it's "take out" tonight.

Allan got me like that one night. We'd just gotten new cell phones. He
called to let me know he was leaving work. 45 minutes later he called
to tell me "I've come to a complete stop!" Of course I asked him where
the traffic jam was. Well, I hadn't heard the garage door go up....
Liz

Old February 1st 05, 10:30 PM
Leslie in MO

Cuz us "newlyweds" have better things to do* than crawl around under the
house running wires! VVVVVBEG

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

*Like making room for his clothes in *my* overfilled closets and making room
for his 200+ elephant collection in my Victorian decorating scheme and all
those other "newlywed" thingys! ;-)))))

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
In our house we each have our own computers, but Mike uses mine for an
occasional email. When Jim was still living at home we shared one and he
was
quite gracious about the amount of time I used. He made me one as soon as
it
was possible too, tho. I shared mine with a roommate for a while. She
wasnt
really responsible about where she put my email addy so she was banned
from
it. (I dont share well and run with scissors occasionally too)
I think under most circumstances not to share if it is at all possible. I
like to keep my windows smaller so I can see a bunch at once, Mike and Jim
perfer theirs maximized. Imagine all the things I have to change over when
they are done using my system! ;-)
Now, why isnt the bells and whistles one hooked to the net yet?
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Leslie in MO" wrote in message
Just curious.... I'd like to ask the adults with partners (married or
whatever) whether they share a computer or find each having their own

works
better for them. We have 2 puters and a laptop but always seem to share

my
basic/cheap little set-up. The "big fancy" computer with all the bells

and
whistles isn't even online yet.

And, no, around here it doesn't always work out smoothly with this
sharing
stuff..... ;-)

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

Old February 1st 05, 10:51 PM
Karen Johnson

Just curious.... I'd like to ask the adults with partners (married or
whatever) whether they share a computer or find each having their own works
better for them. We have 2 puters and a laptop but always seem to share my
basic/cheap little set-up. The "big fancy" computer with all the bells and
whistles isn't even online yet.

Currently two adults, two functional laptops. (We're not counting
computer flotsam and jetsam in the closet, are we?)

In former life with DH, two adults, six computers ... or at least I
thought, until I was cleaning the house after he'd passed away, and
found five more laptops and three more desktops in the garage.

I can't imagine sharing, and am terribly grateful I have the financial
means to have my own. And if David and I ever stop being perpetual
students and get a "real" home again, I hope we'll each be able to
have our own computer space/study/hobby room -- it's the greatest
luxury on earth!

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old February 1st 05, 11:23 PM
Dee in Oz

1 desktop computer, 2 adults, 2 children (15 and 11).
The computer is set up in the lounge room as there is no space anywhere
else. I am by far the biggest user so this suits me. We are considering
a cheap laptop to take on holidays so we can download photos instead of
another memory card. Finances will dictate which option we will take
nearer to the time.

Dee in Oz

Old February 2nd 05, 12:31 AM
Carolyn McCarty

I don't think I could share my computer. Too many private documents, and
besides--when I want to use it, I want to use it! My privacy and free time
have become so precious to me, I suppose that's one reason I still live
alone.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old February 2nd 05, 12:37 AM
JS

We have three computers in the house. DH has a desktop in his office (with
2! monitors), I have a laptop in the kitchen, and the kids have a desktop in
the playroom. We mostly stick to our own machines, but primarily for
convenience issues. I don't like to touch DH's stuff, as he is very
persnickety, but I do use that machine for banking. He uses mine when he
wants to use the internet in front of the TV, but mostly he uses his own.
We only use the kids machine when we are upstairs and want to check the
weather.

Jennifer in Florida

Old February 2nd 05, 01:00 AM
Sherry Starr

DH & I have 2 computers. I have a desktop and he has a laptop. We have a
wireless network so we don't have to worry about sharing. If he needs to
print something from his computer, I just disconnect to Zone Alarm until he
finishes printing, then connect back to Zone Alarm. The first time we got a
computer - 5-6 years ago - we only had one computer, and we were always
dividing time on it. That only lasted about 6 months before he got a
laptop! We play lots of poker online so having 2 computers is the best.
When we travel, he takes his laptop, and if the hotels don't have wireless,
he can use his dial-up for MSN. He kept MSN just for that. It has come in
handy several times - like last night when the cable went out for my
computer, and wasn't back until this morning!

Sherry Starr

Old February 2nd 05, 01:50 AM
Elizabeth Young

Leslie in MO wrote:
Just curious.... I'd like to ask the adults with partners (married or
whatever) whether they share a computer or find each having their own works
better for them. We have 2 puters and a laptop but always seem to share my
basic/cheap little set-up. The "big fancy" computer with all the bells and
whistles isn't even online yet.

And, no, around here it doesn't always work out smoothly with this sharing
stuff..... ;-)

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

3 desktops and a laptop
3 people (the dog does not get to type, so there)
No one else uses my computer. Nothing interesting on it.
I sometimes use the kid's or DBF's because they have some programs that
I like to use but we don't have the liscences to load them on my
computer also.
DFB usually only uses his computer.
Kid sometime's uses his dad's computer to play games his computer won't run.

I'd say that we pretty much use our own computers.
The only 'sharing' issues we have is when the kid has whatever game
turned up so loud that it is annoying. DFB does not play his games at an
annoying volume.

liz young in sunny california
Old February 2nd 05, 02:04 AM
Raye Ahn

Well, when DH and I were working, (me a teacher and he in systems
engineering) we each had our own computer. Now that we aren't working,
we share one. It can be a little difficult as I like my desktop
different, but our ISP allows us to have separate profiles, which is
nice. Sometimes we have "marital moments" about use time (he likes to
get on at 8:00 to talk online), but we're pretty much okay otherwise.

We have dialup (tried DSL last year, but the lines didn't quite reach;
they were 200 yards away and it froze everything--even our phone line)
and that can be a little bit of a problem. DH has said that if DSL
ever gets closer to us, we'll upgrade to XP, and that will allow us to
have separate profiles in Windows. I do know you can change users in
Windows, which can change your desktop, but DH didn't set up our
computer that way. (He has the last "say so" in how that runs; makes
peace in the family that way.)

My sister, who is single and lives in a small apartment, has four, yes,
four computers. Why so many, I don't know, as she isn't any kind of a
computer person. One only knows!

Old February 2nd 05, 02:06 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Leslie in MO" wrote:

Just curious.... I'd like to ask the adults with partners (married or
whatever) whether they share a computer or find each having their own works
better for them. We have 2 puters and a laptop but always seem to share my
basic/cheap little set-up. The "big fancy" computer with all the bells and
whistles isn't even online yet.

And, no, around here it doesn't always work out smoothly with this sharing
stuff..... ;-)

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

I'd always had my computer to myself (it's been a *long* time!), since
DH isn't really interested in being computer-savvy or in exploring the
net. However, about a year or so ago, one of his little part-time jobs
required him to submit certain paperwork electronically, and I had to
start sharing. Ack! On top of that, a friend of his convinced him to try
looking up sports stats online. Double ack! Call me selfish, but the
computer has always been mine -- financed and maintained by my efforts
and income -- and I wasn't a happy camper.

That said, DH still doesn't spend a *lot* of time using my computer
(it's "mine" when anything needs to be done, "the computer" when he
wants to use it g), and I don't complain when he wants me to send an
email or something for him. I figure it's easier to do it for him than
to give up yet more computer time to him. g

We don't have space for a second computer anyway, so there aren't many
options open to us. I just have to work out ways to keep DH from messing
up what I'm doing. For instance, he doesn't know how to use an email
program (I do it for him), and I have him set up to access the web via
Netscape, while I use Safari. Devious, aren't I? G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education