OT Survey- sharing a computer?

Old February 1st 05, 07:20 PM
Pati Cook

We have multiple computers. Occasionally use each others, but not
usually. Mine is set up for graphics, with color printer. His is set
up for his work (writing) so has a laser printer, and is on DSL.
Eventually we will get mine networked into the DSL and I can get rid of
this dial up mess. G
I don't like to use his computer, and can tell when he uses mine. (He's
left handed, and his mouse is on the wrong side. )

Pati, in Phx

Leslie in MO wrote:

Just curious.... I'd like to ask the adults with partners (married or
whatever) whether they share a computer or find each having their own works
better for them. We have 2 puters and a laptop but always seem to share my
basic/cheap little set-up. The "big fancy" computer with all the bells and
whistles isn't even online yet.

And, no, around here it doesn't always work out smoothly with this sharing
stuff..... ;-)

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

Old February 1st 05, 07:36 PM
Julia in MN

Diana Curtis wrote:
I think under most circumstances not to share if it is at all possible. I
like to keep my windows smaller so I can see a bunch at once, Mike and Jim
perfer theirs maximized. Imagine all the things I have to change over when
they are done using my system! ;-)

That's one nice thing about XP -- you can each have your own desktop,
with your own settings, etc. My husband and I share a computer, though
he doesn't use it much. I set it up so that he has his own desktop and
his own Netscape profile. He also has his own e-mail address (which he
almost never checks -- I go in and clean it out once in a while). That
way there is no changing to be done when we switch users.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 1st 05, 07:41 PM
georg

Roberta wrote:

Glad to see that I am not the only one here that has had an MMORPG problem
lol - The hubby and I just quit Star Wars Galaxies cold turkey after playing
since the game came out! I fault it for my serious lack of quilting - and
that is one of the reasons I quit

We played SWG in the beta and for 2 months after it came out. I was the
first Master Image Designer on my server, and a master entertainer and
Musician. Yes folks, I was Wookie Hairdresser.

But once we reached the top of our trees, it was boring. Although, I
probably still wouldn't mind plugging in and working the crowd...

And yes, that was one of the arguments we would have- I'd want to sew,
and he'd want to play, so he'd play alone. He hated to play alone.

I've also played betas of World of Warcraft, EQ2, EQOA, and DAOC.
EverQuest was and is my favorite despite its flaws. Now when I want to
play- I have the Sims.

-georg
Tirea of Talus, and I don't remember the server!
Old February 1st 05, 07:47 PM
Cindy Schmidt

Hmmmmmmm, let's see. Four people in this house. Two computers and 2
laptops. Works well for us. VBG

Once in a great while DH will get on my computer but that's not too often.

--
Cindy from MO

Old February 1st 05, 07:56 PM
Bonnie

Diana Curtis wrote:
I have to smile....Mike and I have our computers where we can see one
another, he is just down the hall from me. There have been times we have
used yahoo to message one another. Its fun. Oh, then there was the day I
used the text message option to find out if he would be home soon, he said
yes, and then walked in the door a few seconds later. He has a piquant sense
of humor.
Diana

That sounds like Ralph - he usually calls to say he's
leaving the office. The trip takes around 1 hour, so I
ususlly don't start cooking until he calls. On several
occasions he'll call from the driveway and say it's "take
out" tonight.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old February 1st 05, 08:32 PM
Kim E

4 people, 4 computers (soon to be 5) all networked to the Cable Modem.
DH is a network engineer. When we bought the house, he insisted that
the builder wire it for double CAT5 (for Cable TV, Cable Modem and
phone) in 7 places in the house. DH, DS and I all play EverQuest, so
we need computers that can handle the game.

DH and DS are building 2 offices in the basement (an office for DH so
the 4th bedroom can be a guest room, and a designated study room for DS
and his ADD). DS's study room even has insulation on all the walls to
decrease distractions. They are planning to hang up the drywall this
week.

DH will buy a new computer with lots of bells and whistles. My
computer is pretty high end. DS's computer (in his room) is pretty
good. DD needs a computer upgrade because she now has a piano keyboard
that can be synchronized to a computer, so she will get DH's current
computer.

When the offices are done, DS will get DD's current low-end computer -
just enough for Word, Excel, Power Point and an internet browser for
homework. There will be no IM or games on his study computer. When,
and only when, his homework is done, he may use the computer in his
room for IM and games - we know the password and he doesn't.
Kim
Helium, lvl 66 cleric on Innoruuk server

Old February 1st 05, 08:36 PM
Patti

Hullo Leslie
We each have a computer and each a study! We do realise we are very
lucky. Our two computers are networked, so both are 'connected to the
Net. I did not begin with RCTQ until I had my own. DH worked/played
almost continually on his. My computer is always one 'phase' behind his
(guess why!!!)
I would find sharing a computer extremely difficult, if not impossible.
If DH comes along to sort out a problem, he always makes sure to fix
things in the way that he knows I use things.
..
In article , Leslie in MO
writes
Just curious.... I'd like to ask the adults with partners (married or
whatever) whether they share a computer or find each having their own works
better for them. We have 2 puters and a laptop but always seem to share my
basic/cheap little set-up. The "big fancy" computer with all the bells and
whistles isn't even online yet.

And, no, around here it doesn't always work out smoothly with this sharing
stuff..... ;-)

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 1st 05, 08:37 PM
georg

Kim E wrote:

Kim
Helium, lvl 66 cleric on Innoruuk server

Tarre Solskin, 65 dark elf necromancer, Xev
Tiru Dekan, 65 dwarf cleric, Xev.

Yes, I played both at the same time. I was Bad.

-georg
Old February 1st 05, 09:01 PM
Roberta

"georg" wrote in message
Roberta wrote:

[...]

Well, the game has changed ALOT since beta (as I am sure you can imagine) I
had more than one character (we won't talk about that lol) One of whom was
a Blue Twi'lik master dancer/master entertainer/master musician. The
entertainment professions went down hill super fast - now 99% of the people
that have entertainers are a "bot" (not actually there while playing)

I loved the game - I still do sort of - but I feel like that game (and
perhaps all in that type of game) really demand so much time and energy,
they rob the rest of your life. I wont ever play another one of those
online games again. Too addictive a personality to say I will only play
sometimes.

Roberta (in MD)
ky'a/Cataine/galilahi all of Naboo on the lowca server...

Old February 1st 05, 09:57 PM
Charlotte Hippen

When we first got married, DH and I each had our own. We were students then
so when we weren't in class we were each glued to our respective computer
studying. Sharing just wouldn't have worked then. Now, we kind of
share/kind of don't. My husband has a lap top for work, which is almost
always at work, unless he's working at home. He could bring it home for
personal reasons, but doesn't bother (or really even have the need). We
then also have a desktop at home that is supposed to be the "family"
computer, but mainly it's mine. We each have our own log in so that we can
customize it to our own liking since doing it with out wasn't working. We
both like things set up differently and hate changing it back and forth.
Also, that way he has is email set up and I have mine, as well as our
favorites, and documents all set up for us and organized the way we want
without having to sort through the otherone's stuff to find ours or worry
about things getting deleted that should be, etc. With as little as DH uses
it anymore its not as big of a deal, but we just left it. DS #1 is starting
to get old enough to start doing some games etc. on it so he now has his own
log in too. Perhaps when the kids get bigger and are using it more we may
have to get them their own so I don't lose mine, but this works for us now.

--
Charlotte