WH (gulp) sleeve

Old September 9th 12, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default WH (gulp) sleeve

My FIRST WH is finished. It is important. It is beautiful. It needs a
hanging sleeve. NOT just something to temporarily use for a quilt show and
then go on display on a bed to be hugging and loved. This one goes up on a
wall for always.
How do I prepare my creation for wall hanging so that the recipient (
who's probably clueless about such things) can hang it ( and we both will be
happy)?
Decades ago, I stitched silver dollars in the hem tail corners of a drum
major coat to force them to always return to straight and orderly. Probably
would have to sell a hawg and a dozen gators to do that again. What do you
suggest? Polly

Old September 9th 12, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

(
who's probably clueless about such things) can hang it ( and we both
will be happy)?
Decades ago, I stitched silver dollars in the hem tail corners of a
drum
major coat to force them to always return to straight and orderly.
Probably would have to sell a hawg and a dozen gators to do that again.
What do you suggest? Polly

So far as the sleeve if you can consult with the recipient that would be
awesome. Nothing irks like carefully sewing a full sleeve across the
back only to find they would have preferred loops or the like. If you
cannot do that, then think of her curtains. If she has runners or those
hooked kinds, then do a full sleeve on the back, if she has cafe rings or
tab tops then match that. Those are a lot easier to do on a WH than on
curtains. She will most likely be delighted however you do.

So far as weights I am particular fond of a bit of chain basted onto the
bottom in back. Comes off easy for washing, and goes back on easy. In
fact I do that for certain styles of jackets and skirts (as per retro
Dior).
You want to get fancy and solve both conundrums at once, set Mr. Esther
to putting some hardware store finials on a couple of lengths of dowel,
then stitch down a tube of fabric at top and bottom (on the ends or in
the back, your choice), slip the fancified dowels in and you will have
made a scroll. Thus providing a weight and a hanger in one coordinated
swoop. Just make sure he only glues one end of the dowel, I mention this
because Mr. NightMist would very likely do just that.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 9th 12, 10:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 09/09/12 05:57, Polly Esther wrote:
My FIRST WH is finished. It is important. It is beautiful. It needs a
hanging sleeve. NOT just something to temporarily use for a quilt show
and then go on display on a bed to be hugging and loved. This one goes
up on a wall for always.
How do I prepare my creation for wall hanging so that the recipient (
who's probably clueless about such things) can hang it ( and we both
will be happy)?
Decades ago, I stitched silver dollars in the hem tail corners of a drum
major coat to force them to always return to straight and orderly.
Probably would have to sell a hawg and a dozen gators to do that again.
What do you suggest? Polly

Oh I wish you had posted before it was quite finished as my favourite WH
"sleeve" method goes on with the binding and isn't a sleeve at all.

I use the fast finish triangles method from he
http://www.alzquilts.org/paqdisplay.html

and always put them top and bottom so that the weight of a rod in the
bottom triangles helps keep the WH straight and flat.

On a couple of occasions I have hand sewn the triangles into the corners
afterwards and that works OK too.

Lizzy

--
http://lizzyastro.etsy.com
http://www.instructables.com/member/lizzyastro/
Old September 9th 12, 10:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Just read Nightmist's excellent advice. You say your recipient is
probably clueless, so your job is to make it easy for her. The actual
sleeve is simple: long rectangle, 5-6" wide, finish the short ends so
it measures about 2" shorter than the top width of the quilt. Fold in
half and bury the raw edge underneath the binding. If you have already
sewn on the binding, you can stitch a long tube, press so the seam is
NOT on the folded edge, and simply machine stitch right up next to the
binding. It will be nearly invisible. But you still probably have to
stitch down the bottom edge of the sleeve, making sure it doesn't lie
completely flat. You need some room for the rod. Do the same on the
bottom edge. (Is it possible to hang the quilt either end up?)

For a small piece,I like to use the expandable cafe curtain rods, if
it's possible to put the 2 little hooks in the wall. The ends of the
rod should be hidden behind the quilt. You could then put a chain
weight in the bottom sleeve, or use a 2nd rod to hold it flat.
For a big piece, it's sometimes useful to make the sleeve in 2
sections with a gap in the middle. This lets you add another support
for the rod.

Instead of using a round dowel for a big piece, consider a flat
wooden... what's it called? About 3/8" thick and maybe 1 1/4" wide.
Have the hardware guy cut it just slightly shorter than the width of
the quilt and drill a hole about an inch in from each end. Then you
can run invisible fishing line through one end, up across 2 hanging
screws placed (the same width apart) right up under the ceiling
molding, and down through the other end, tie off firmly. Easy to
adjust the position up and down with this method.
Roberta in D

Old September 9th 12, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
My FIRST WH is finished. It is important. It is beautiful. It needs a
hanging sleeve. NOT just something to temporarily use for a quilt show
and then go on display on a bed to be hugging and loved. This one goes up
on a wall for always.
How do I prepare my creation for wall hanging so that the recipient (
who's probably clueless about such things) can hang it ( and we both will
be happy)?
Decades ago, I stitched silver dollars in the hem tail corners of a
drum major coat to force them to always return to straight and orderly.
Probably would have to sell a hawg and a dozen gators to do that again.
What do you suggest? Polly

I'm glad you asked the question because I have enjoyed reading all the
suggestions!
Barbara in SC

Old September 9th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 23:57:53 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
My FIRST WH is finished. It is important. It is beautiful. It needs a
hanging sleeve. NOT just something to temporarily use for a quilt show and
then go on display on a bed to be hugging and loved. This one goes up on a
wall for always.
How do I prepare my creation for wall hanging so that the recipient (
who's probably clueless about such things) can hang it ( and we both will be
happy)?
Decades ago, I stitched silver dollars in the hem tail corners of a drum
major coat to force them to always return to straight and orderly. Probably
would have to sell a hawg and a dozen gators to do that again. What do you
suggest? Polly

Same basic idea.. put some curtain weights or miscellaneous flat
pieces of metal or wood or a chain in a sleeve at the bottom.

Old September 10th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

How I wish that I could scoop up all of our rctq precious friends over at
that other place and pat them back right here. Once again, I am pleased and
blessed by your answers and help, and like Bobbie - I'm glad I asked the
question. The answers were wonderful. Polly

Old September 10th 12, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

On 09/09/12 11:28, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
[...]

Never seen that before what a great idea! Thanks

Janner
France
Old September 10th 12, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

On 9/9/2012 3:28 AM, Lizzy Taylor wrote:

Oh I wish you had posted before it was quite finished as my favourite WH
"sleeve" method goes on with the binding and isn't a sleeve at all.

I use the fast finish triangles method from he
http://www.alzquilts.org/paqdisplay.html

and always put them top and bottom so that the weight of a rod in the
bottom triangles helps keep the WH straight and flat.

On a couple of occasions I have hand sewn the triangles into the corners
afterwards and that works OK too.

Lizzy

The alzquilts method is the neatest way I've ever seen for hanging wall
hangings.

Thank you so much for posting it.

Donna in Idaho

Old September 11th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh good grief. ALL we wanted was some plain thin flat boards to slide in
the top and bottom triangles of the WH. Went to the DIY. We could have
plastic, styrofoam, carved, caved, Gothic, primitive ... but plain, thin,
flat strips of wood? Got to be highly tenacious and hell-bent to find
those. Failed. The strips we have are a mite curvedy on one side but will
work okay. Have you all noticed how very complicated the very simplest
project can become? Polly

Hanging Sleeve Sally Swindells Quilting 11 April 6th 08 01:17 AM
help with sleeve for sweater Kristine Yarn 8 December 22nd 05 04:52 AM
Pinning a Sleeve Betsy Ross Quilting 6 October 4th 05 06:06 PM
Hanging Sleeve maryd Quilting 4 May 21st 05 03:36 PM
Ad: my first...Gulp...I stepped off the high dive. Jalynne Beads 11 March 17th 04 08:37 AM