Fusing Glass Discussions

Old June 7th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Fusing Glass Discussions

But can't imagine why anybody would want a hotter tip for
soldering....

Speed.

With a 700 tip, you spend as much time waiting for the iron to
regenerate heat as you do actually soldering with it. The faster you
solder, the faster you complete the job. The faster you complete the
job, the more money you make for your time. Some users don't care how
long it takes to complete the job - some do.

..and anyway - what's the point of producing a video about how to use
irons with high-temperature soldering tips when there are only a dozen
of these things available (not even for sale!) in the known
universe...? Weller / Cooper stopped making the 900 tips - wonder what
that tells us ?

Weller stopped making 900 tips because there was insufficient demand to
justify their production runs. It takes some time to learn to solder
at high speed and many users aren't willing to take the time to master
that skill. They will make 900 tips if you order enough. The last
figure I was given by the Cooper sales rep was 1200 tips. There are
other makes of iron that operate at 900 (or even higher). The Hexacon
155 runs at 960 degrees and is a popular choice by artisans looking to
cut production time.

Dennis Brady

Victorian Art Glass - http://www.victorianartglass.biz
DeBrady Glass - http://www.debrady.com
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com

Old June 8th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Let me get this straight.
You have told this forum repeatedly that Weller 900 tips were available
and NOW you tell us that all you have to do is buy 1200 of them.
Give us a break. Next time you have a gem of information, mention it
first, not last.
Otherwise you are the troll under the bridge.
--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
oups.com...

Old June 8th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
Let me get this straight.
You have told this forum repeatedly that Weller 900 tips were available
and NOW you tell us that all you have to do is buy 1200 of them.
Give us a break. Next time you have a gem of information, mention it
first, not last.
Otherwise you are the troll under the bridge.
--

The light JUST went on!!

He must indeed be the biggest fish in his little pond, in his tiny corner of
Canada. If there were anyone in his area offering supplies he would be
gone, and if no one responded to the troll, he would be gone from here too.

Old June 8th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...

Weller stopped making 900 tips because there was insufficient demand to
justify their production runs.

Translation: Brady is the only idiot on the planet that ever bought any of
them.

It takes some time to learn to solder
at high speed and many users aren't willing to take the time to master
that skill.

Translation: Most users aren't stupid enough to waste time learning a
useless skill.

a popular choice by artisans looking to
cut production time.

Are they "artisans", or production shops?

Old June 9th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

In , on Thu, 8 Jun 2006
09:13:47 -0400, Moonraker wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Weller stopped making 900 tips because there was insufficient demand to
justify their production runs.

Translation: Brady is the only idiot on the planet that ever bought any of
them.

Nah, I was an idiot too... bought one around '96 or
so. It was a small chisel, maybe 3/16" of an inch and
a complete waste of money. Some advertising genius
at Weller decided they could hook a few fish by doing
a higher temperature tip. I bit, but 100 watts of heat
is 100 watts of heat. You can't solder any faster with
a 900 degree tip than a 600 degree tip given the same
number of watts.

I probably threw it away... but who knows, it may
still be in a box "out there" somewhere, but after
the dozen or so moves in the ensuing years, I don't
have a clue which box that might be. If I did, I'd
dig it out and send it to... who was it that wanted
it again?

Old June 9th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

If it's quick soldering you want than why not melt bar solder in a pot,
flux the joints, and pour it on the panel? OK so it's flat lines, but with
black patina no one will know the difference, as evidenced by the Chinese
products. Better yet.... lead came, than you only need to solder the joints.
I can't imagine soldering significantly faster with more heat than 100 watts
supplies. If the trade off is a heavy Hexacon iron that saves me a few
minutes, I'd still rather use a lightweight iron. Furthermore if your
cutting sucks than all the heat in the world will only make it drip through
faster. What I tell all my students is, "Take your time, and do it more
accurately, not faster."

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 9th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

If it's quick soldering you want than why not melt bar solder in a

pot,
flux the joints, and pour it on the panel? OK so it's flat lines, but with
black patina no one will know the difference, as evidenced by the Chinese
products. Better yet.... lead came, than you only need to solder the

joints.
I can't imagine soldering significantly faster with more heat than 100

watts
supplies. If the trade off is a heavy Hexacon iron that saves me a few
minutes, I'd still rather use a lightweight iron. Furthermore if your
cutting sucks than all the heat in the world will only make it drip

through
faster. What I tell all my students is, "Take your time, and do it more
accurately, not faster."

Yes. What you said. Clap, clap, clap.

Old June 9th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

If it's quick soldering you want than why not melt bar solder in a

pot,
flux the joints, and pour it on the panel? OK so it's flat lines, but with
black patina no one will know the difference, as evidenced by the Chinese
products. Better yet.... lead came, than you only need to solder the

joints.
I can't imagine soldering significantly faster with more heat than 100

watts
supplies. If the trade off is a heavy Hexacon iron that saves me a few
minutes, I'd still rather use a lightweight iron. Furthermore if your
cutting sucks than all the heat in the world will only make it drip

through
faster. What I tell all my students is, "Take your time, and do it more
accurately, not faster."

Funny you should mention that, flux and pour.
Ever hear of Belcher windows? Ever see one?
check these out, the lead was poured in, glass trapped in a mold of some
kind, I admittedly don't know how it was done, but I have seen a few of
them, interesting stuff.
http://www.antiqueamericanstainedgla...20template.htm
navigate on the left to Mosaics-Belcher and look at them.

Old June 9th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

In , on Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:20:20 -0400,
Glassman wrote:

I can't imagine soldering significantly faster with more heat than 100 watts
supplies.

That was my point. 100 watts of heat is 100 watts
of heat. Tip temperature in this context is
irrelevant.

If the trade off is a heavy Hexacon iron that saves me a few
minutes, I'd still rather use a lightweight iron.

Me too. The Weller 100 with 700 degree tip suited
me fine.

Old June 10th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Glassman" wrote in message

[...]

I've seen and fixed lots of lamps poured this way... I wonder if anyone is
still doing this stuff?

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

Craft of Stained Glass Work Vintage manual 1928 FA JaneyP Glass 0 March 4th 06 09:22 PM
Advice on kiln for small projects involving glass fusing and enamelling. Robyn Glass 13 January 5th 06 12:40 PM
SGG [email protected] Glass 2 December 6th 05 11:58 PM
Glass fusing classes in Fort Worth TX area Sue Seibert Glass 2 May 18th 04 01:51 PM