Hand quilting

Old June 13th 04, 09:31 PM
Dannielle

Default Hand quilting

Ok, so when you quilt by hand do you have to have a hoop or frame? Can you
quilt "in-hand"? Who does what, why and how well do you like it?

I am considering doing some hand quilting, and I will be doing small pieces
(no bed quilts for me!). I am being inspired by variegated threads. So
tell me what you do!

--
Dannielle

Old June 13th 04, 10:52 PM
Louise

I use a hoop that I've had since about 1980! It's an oval -- about 27" long
and 18" wide. When (if) I replace it, I'll probably go to a round one, as I
don't think they make the oval ones any longer. I'm so used to it now, I
know I'll have a hard time parting with it!

I've done a couple of quilts on a frame, and I think it's great if you're
doing a group quilt, but I prefer the hoop when working by myself, because I
can turn it in whatever direction I need (I have a tough time quilting away
from myself). The only time I work without a hoop is when I'm working on the
outer borders of a quilt -- maybe the last 2-3". I know a lot of others have
had really good luck working without a hoop or a frame, but I don't feel I
have as much control over my stitching.

Gee, just writing about quilting has given me the urge to go pick up my
current project and work a while. Thanks!

Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old June 13th 04, 10:56 PM
Sudrlg

In article , "Dannielle"
writes:

Ok, so when you quilt by hand do you have to have a hoop or frame?

Can you quilt "in-hand"?
I use a 14" hoop - no stand or frame. My stitches stay more even with a
hoop.
If they didn't cost several hundred dollars, I would be interested in trying a

hoop on a stand. A small project would be fine in a hoop. Small pieces are
almost all edges. When you get to the edge, pin several folds of scrap fabric
on the end so you have someplace to put the hoop. I often use a folded dish
towel or some scrap muslin that is often hanging around.
Re variegated thread. I recently used Valdani variegated - 35 wt -
It was ok, but I prefer real hand quilting thread (YL1 or Coats and Clark work
well for me). Also, the variegated in the hand quilting seemed like a waste/
The variegation only shows when you don't want it to - and with that single
little stitch you really don't get the pretty flow of color that you do in
other applications.
I did use it to satin stitch around some applique and also to 'draw' ribbons on
SBS bonnet - and that looked fine. I would not use it again for hand quilting.

What are you making?

Deena - in Philly

Old June 13th 04, 11:23 PM
Sudrlg

Hi Louise
JoAnn's sells oval hoops - in a pretty good size - though I can't quote inches.
Also, F A Edmunds sells an oval on a stand - again - I can't say what size -
but big enough - I think. I believe it is under $30.
I have an extra JoAnn coupon this month - if your hoop goes onto the hoop
bridge - and you need to replace it - just holler.
Sorry if this is telling you stuff you already know

Gee, just writing about quilting has given me the urge to go pick up my

current project and work a while
me too - back to my basting

Deena - in Philly

Louise wrote

Old June 13th 04, 11:44 PM
Pati Cook

Louise they still make oval hoops.
I am using a round right now, but I have an inexspensive oval that sits on a
stand. Good idea, but I also have trouble quilting at odd angles on a fixed
position hoop.

Pati, in Phx. who will probably end up using that hoop on a stand as a display
piece sometime............

Old June 13th 04, 11:47 PM
Pati Cook

For quilting edges I understand you can make a sort of half circle "cover" from
quilted material to pin your edges to. Haven't done it yet, since the things I
have quilted to edges were small and done in a square frame that you pinned the
backing to, and the top etc.

Pati, in Phx.

Old June 14th 04, 12:19 AM
Louise

I think I have a hoop around here that is actually a half circle with a
piece of ticking on it, and you attach the edge to be quilted to the
ticking. I forgot all about that! Now, to find it . . .
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
For quilting edges I understand you can make a sort of half circle "cover"

from
quilted material to pin your edges to. Haven't done it yet, since the

things I
have quilted to edges were small and done in a square frame that you

pinned the
backing to, and the top etc.

Pati, in Phx.

Old June 14th 04, 12:21 AM
Louise

Thanks for the info about the oval hoops. It's good to know I'll have some
options when mine passes (which I hope won't be in the near future).

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old June 14th 04, 12:24 AM
Louise

Pati, I have a round hoop on a stand that I'll probably do the same thing
with. What am I saying? That's exactly what I do with it! My LQS owner's
uncle made it, and it's a beautiful piece. But even though it tilts, it
doesn't rotate, and I never got comfortable using it. So, it's sitting in my
sewing room with one of my quilts draped over it. I probably should put a
sandwiched one in it to make it look more authentic -- one more thing for my
to-do list.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old June 14th 04, 12:54 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I have to quilt with a hoop. I just can't handle it otherwise, but for those
who can, it's much easier to drag around.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Dannielle" wrote in message
Ok, so when you quilt by hand do you have to have a hoop or frame? Can

you
quilt "in-hand"? Who does what, why and how well do you like it?

I am considering doing some hand quilting, and I will be doing small

pieces
(no bed quilts for me!). I am being inspired by variegated threads. So
tell me what you do!

--
Dannielle

---