Poll - quilting rooms

Old February 10th 05, 01:31 AM
Bonnie

Yes, I have a quilting room. When kids stopped returning
home we rearranged all the rooms, it had been the master
bedroom. Quilt frame and cutting table. Two sewing
machines set up and 3 others at hand. I quilt to keep me
sane - no money involved except what I spend ;-).

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old February 10th 05, 01:40 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

Oh, I took her pressing class and really loved that teacher. We had
lots of people in our class who had done the studio class and liked it.
Let us know how the class goes for you.

Yes, I have a studio. The basement is mine though I do share a corner
of it for video games. The lure of the new computer game from the
holidays is such that I haven't seen a video game player down there
since. After sewing at the coffee table with sewing supplies shoved in
a corner of the linen closet or later sewing at the dining room table,
it is heaven to have a place where the machine stays set up!

Yes, I do teach a few quilting classes. I have done a couple of
patterns for sale for our local quilt shop only.

For the person who was thinking of writing patterns....there is a yahoo
group called "quilt designers" come over and read for a while and see
what it's like. Also, Quilt University has a class on
publishing....might be too late to sign up for this session but you
could drop them a line that you'd be interested if the class is offered
again.

And yes, it's really all for pleasure. Years ago I loved garment sewing
but after making money sewing the worlds ugliest bridesmaids dresses
(six or eight times each) the fun of sewing was gone. I decided that
if teaching ever took the fun out of my personal quilting than it was
time to stop teaching.

marcella
Old February 10th 05, 01:40 AM
Anne

frood wrote:

I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

I have a room that is all mine for computer/office and sewing. BUT (big
but) it also has a queen size futon so it is the guest room when we have
company.
I quilt for personal pleasure only.

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm
Old February 10th 05, 01:41 AM
Louise

I do have a room that is primarily dedicated to quilting. It also has the
washer and dryer, which do get used for run-of-the-mill laundry as well as
washing quilt fabric, so I guess I can't say it's totally dedicated (but
it's pretty darned close!).

With the exception of one quilt -- made many years ago -- I haven't done any
quilting or anything related to it for money. Maybe someday!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"frood" wrote in message
I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has
made me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have
a room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

--
Wendy
"I could *so* save the world if somebody handed me superpowers." - Dawn

Old February 10th 05, 02:10 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:34:17 -0500, "frood"
wrote:

I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

You must have a bigger bedroom than I do! I can get the bed in the
room, along with one nightstand, a small bookcase and a shelf for a
lamp (plus 2 dirty clothes baskets).
I use the smaller bedroom for a quilting room -it also houses the
extra bed (folded up) and extra plant pots, bulbs, you name it. I do
get to put my famous wooden stash cupboard in there, and keep one
wardrobe full of fake fur and fleece, and another wardrobe full of
jeans/flannel shirts/garment material/extra stash. I can just shoo
the cat out and close the door when I want to. I am lucky.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old February 10th 05, 02:12 AM
KJ

I do have my own room for a studio. Pictures are in my webshots albums. I
make quilts for pleasure, but have sold a few.

Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old February 10th 05, 02:26 AM
georg

frood wrote:

I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

For quilting- I do most of the sewing in the living room. Particularly
quilting by hand is done snuggled under the blanket on the couch. So any
hand-quilted quilts I've made, have been thoroughly tested by myself
sleeping under, and cats sleeping on and under. (That 1390 quilt is
awesome to sleep under)

I like to think they are better that way. I do wash before giving- I
hope Jen found no cat hair or worse in her quilt.

But if it was done by machine, the cats probably just helped by sitting
on it while I cut it out, or holding parts in place for me until I
needed them. That's their story, and they are sticking to it.

-georg
duct tape is an excellent lint brush.
Old February 10th 05, 02:27 AM
Tina

The timing on this question is so funny to me. Just the other night,
daughter, son and I were sitting around in her room talking. She
asked, "Mom, what are you going to do with my room when I go away to
college?" Well, duh - a sewing room, of course! So when are you
going? "Mooooooom!"

And son pipes in, "But I want her room!" - Ok, fine, you can have her
room and I'll turn yours into a sewing room! But Moooooooooom! LOL

Since I'm new at quilting, and live in a small house - no, I don't have
my own sewing room. I confiscated the dining room! I have plastic
rolling bins from Wal Mart with four drawers for my supplies (one for
scrapbooking/one for quilting). And what isn't currently in use for
current projects, goes in specific tubs in the garage - along with ALL
that fabric!

Even before I got addicted to quilting, I sewed. So it's not new to
anyone at my house that they have to eat around the sewing machine -
don't set your drink down, you'll put it on mom's cutting mat and
she'll have a Coooooowwww! Don't move that dining room chair - mom has
quilt rows draped across it, she'll have a coooowwww! Don't turn that
iron off, mom's coming right back with another block and she'll have a
coooowwww..........

anyway, I think you get the point.

I used to sew for money - garments, mostly western style shirts for
rodeo competition, etc. but like someone else mentioned, once I was
getting paid for it and had all these requirements and demands and
found myself sewing the same darn shirts over and over and over again -
it wasn't fun anymore.

I sew for FUN! for friends, charitable causes, kids........

Tina

Old February 10th 05, 02:34 AM
taria

No, I don't have a dedicated quilting room. I use the end of the family
room. Down to one kiddo at home and she is gone or in her room mostly.
So I am mostly by myself all day.
I could have had the extra bedroom when we moved here but I really would
rather sew near the kitchen and in the middle of things. I did take the
extra room closet though.

No, I only have charged for quilts when I don't want to be bugged by
someone again or it isn't something I want to do.

Good questions Wendy. I sewed in a wonderful corner of our bedroom in
the little house we had in San Diego. I could see the whole back
yard and watch the kids playing. It was perfect.

TAria

Old February 10th 05, 02:40 AM
Lisa Caryl

Hi Wendy,
I have always had a dedicated room for quilting in the houses we've lived
in. In our current and probably last house, I have a room in the basement
that DH says is about 10x22. I don't think I ever would have lived in a
house where I couldn't have room for my things. It's important to me and DH
knows and respects that.

Most of my storage things and tables are hand me downs from friends and
family. I sew on a 50's style kitchen table that has all the leaves in it. I
put a very thick piece of foam insulation (a freebie) on that, cut out a
spot for my sewing machine and covered it with about $2.00 worth of contact
paper. Wa-la, the entire table is sewing machine height for mq'ing. I have
another 50's style kitchen table as my cutting table. I added plastic pipe
to raise the height and it's perfect for cutting. A friend gave us two 8
foot long tables that he didn't want to move, and I also raised them up
with plastic pipe. I use them for basting when they aren't coved in 'junque'
;-). Under the tables are rubbermaid bins for batting, pillow forms and
stuff like that.

For storage of fabric I bought big rubbermaid bins for the cotton, and it's
sorted by color or type of fabric. The bins sit on an old entertainment
center that my SIL gave us. I did buy sets of plastic drawers for my cq
fabric. For books and magazines and beads, I have one partial board book
shelf and one shelf made from straight wooden boards, cinder blocks and
bricks. Not pretty but it works for me. The basement isn't finished, and the
floor was really cold. We found large area rugs on clearance for $17 one day
and I snapped up three of them. Makes it much easier to be down there in the
winter!

Yes, I do quilt professionally. I've taught classes for about 6 years now. I
have also given trunk shows to a few guilds, and I have taught away from my
'home' shop a few times. I occasionally mq smallish quilts on my Bernina
for others. I used to write patterns for a local company until things went
uhm.....not to my liking. I've had a couple of things published in magazines
and a book, and I'd like to get back to doing that again. I am supposed to
have a cq in a friends book that is due in May. We'll see.....the deadline
keeps getting postponed.

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

"frood" wrote in message
I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has

made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have

room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

--
Wendy
"I could *so* save the world if somebody handed me superpowers." - Dawn
Summers
De-Fang email address to reply

Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
Help!! Hand Quilting P8nPal Quilting 6 July 19th 04 06:09 PM
In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence! Liz and Steve Ford Quilting 33 August 17th 03 04:51 AM
Quilting Thread question Carol Wolfe Quilting 9 July 15th 03 05:20 AM