OT Diet coke vs vitamins/prescriptions

Old August 3rd 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT Diet coke vs vitamins/prescriptions

Everyone should have their vit D level checked. Mine was low and I took a
mega dose to boost it back to normal and now take a suppliment (1000mg)
every day.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

And to have moderate exposure to the sun, not sunbathing but just gentle
exposure, Vitamin D is made through the skin. Also enough Magnesium in
the diet, Remember those leafy green veg
Marion in Nitten

Old August 3rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

It isn't on the ingredient list. Cola list it. There is citrus acid but is
that the same in effects? I don't know. It
has been my understanding that cola is the worst for you.
Might give you some other options if you 'have' to have
the bubbles.
Taria

"KJ" wrote in message
They don't contain caffeine...but I would guess they still have the
phosphoric acids...I think that's part of the fizz of soda.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Taria" wrote in message
Clear sodas and root beer don't. Not sure if what they have is bad too
but they are different than colas.
I keep unsweetened de-caf iced tea around and almost
everyone can drink that. I hate dealing with the recycling
of cans and bottles.
Taria

"Musicmaker" wrote in message
I hope this isn't a totally discouraging interjection, but I have to
mention something I've learned about ALL sodas that contain phosphoric
acids or some form... Phosphoric acid combines in the digestive
system with any calcium it finds, and binds tightly to it, making the
calcium unavailable to the body. Since calcium is needed in many
important functions, when there is no calcium in the diet, the body
gets the needed calcium from its storehouse of the mineral -- the
bones.

Bones are constantly being built up and torn down by cells called
osteoblasts and osteoclasts. The former store calcium in the bones,
and the latter mine the bones for calcium when it is needed elsewhere.

The other bummer is that caffeine steals calcium too.

Having been diagnosed with osteopenia of the spine (pre-osteoporosis)
I've given up sodas with p. acid. I've only managed to reduce my
coffee intake. Just a head's up - since bone density is a BIG DEAL
for all women esp.

Musicmaker

Old August 3rd 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Ask your pharmacist!

Donna in SW Idaho

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
This ng has an amazing amount of knowledge available and I haven't been
successful in my internet searches for an answer, so I come to y'all- once
again- for answers.

A friend told me that any prescription medicines or vitamins that I take
with a swig of my much-loved Diet Cherry Coke are a waste. She claims the
Coke will cause my body to not absorb them or the Coke will 'destroy or
breakdown the meds/vitamins or some such. I really didn't pay much
attention since I didn't want to hear that stuff. (She lectures me on the
dangers of any diet drink.) Does anybody know if this has any truth to it
or not? Or any ideas on what or how I can search to find out for certain?

And, please, no lectures on drinking Diet Cherry Coke- it's one of the
small pleasures I have left. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 3rd 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

The fizz comes from dissolved carbon dioxide. (Nothing to do with
phosphoric acid.) It's under pressure in the bottle/ can, and the
bubbles start to fizz and evaporate on opening. Which is why it
eventually goes flat.

I like fizzy water mixed with just about any fruit juice = spritzer.

I live in beer country. Lots of the larger breweries also make bottled
soda drinks, using the excess carbon dioxide generated in the brewing
process. How's that for recycling!
Roberta in D

Old August 3rd 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Ah....good to know Roberta! Thanks for the info. What's your favorite
beer?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 3rd 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Good pick up Taria. I've cut back on the colas in order to have fewer
drinks that stain my teeth. (But I haven't given up coffee or tea...notice
I only said "fewer".) I have switched to the de-caf version of both coffee
and tea. Baby steps.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 3rd 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT Tea vs vitamins/prescriptions

Tea v. iron? Nice nurse at the blood drive was telling a neighbor that
drinking lots of tea will make you anemic. I hope this isn't true. Anybody
know? Polly

Old August 3rd 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Taking vitamin D + calcium has good and bad. Good is I have the prettiest
nails in the Swamp except, of course for the gators. Boy! can they ever
grow nails. The bad is I have to have my toenails trimmed by Yogi's groomer
when they being to clack on the new floors. Polly

"KJ" Everyone should have their vit D level checked. Mine was low and I

Old August 3rd 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Never heard this but I am going to ask at the next dr's appt. I was just
told I was slightly anemic and I'm a tea granny at night. Pop all day
and tea at night. So we'll see.
Joanna

Old August 3rd 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I never heard that. My dad doesn't drink coffee and has
been a tea drinker since his war years in India. He is going to be 85 in
Nov. and pretty darned healthy for his
age. His method is staying away from doctors. I doubt
he has ever been anemic in his life. Maybe the kind of
tea makes a difference? Think we could get a grant funded to quilt and
drink tea?
TAria