manual for brother XL721

Old September 6th 05, 07:49 AM

Default manual for brother XL721

Hello,

I'm looking for a manual for a Brother XL721 sewing machine. I found
http://www.sewconsult.com/, but they charge money for the PDF manual.
Is there an alternative?

Thanks,

Thufir

Old September 6th 05, 08:37 AM
BEI Design

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm looking for a manual for a Brother XL721 sewing machine. I
found
http://www.sewconsult.com/, but they charge money for the PDF
manual.
Is there an alternative?

C'mon, the .pdf version is only $8.00. shrug It would probably cost
more than that for someone to copy and mail it to you. And then
there's the copyright issue...

Old September 6th 05, 06:47 PM

BEI Design wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm looking for a manual for a Brother XL721 sewing machine. I
found
http://www.sewconsult.com/, but they charge money for the PDF
manual.
Is there an alternative?

C'mon, the .pdf version is only $8.00. shrug It would probably cost
more than that for someone to copy and mail it to you. And then
there's the copyright issue...

Usually manuals are free from the manufacturer. I've never heard of
paying for a manual. As to the copyright issue, that seems backwards.
The purchase of the sewing machine should've included the manual.
Since it's a used machine the manual got lost. Really, Brother should
have all those manuals available for download. That they don't is a
bit frustrating. I doubt that Brother would really mind if someone
shared their PDF version. Even if Brother does mind, so what? As you
say, it's just eight dollars, it's kinda un-enforcable.

That company probably has a deal with Brother, so that Brother doesn't
have to deal with the hassle. However, the manual's supposed to be
there, anyhow. It's not like I'm downloading a copyrighted movie, it's
totally different. I'm just looking for a PDF or something which
*doesn't* cost eight dollars.

Also, it's not for me.

-Thufir

Old September 6th 05, 07:05 PM
Kate Dicey

BEI Design wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

If you bought the machine new, from a dealer, and the manual is missing,
then go back to the dealer and ask them to get you a manual. If this is
a used machine, and the manual has gone missing, you will need to
purchase a replacement.

For older, long out of date machines (Such as the old black Singers)
there are *some* free downloadable manuals available, but not for all -
I had to purchase a good copy of the manual for my 1909 Jones Family CS
machine. On the other hand, I will freely give email copies of the
Singer 66 manual I scanned for a friend to other enthusiasts I know. If
I had to send out a hard copy to a stranger, I'd need to be reimbursed
for my time, the paper, and the postage. When I do basic sewing I
charge £10 per hour. Had beading is £15 per hour. Teaching for the LEA
as a sessional tutor is about £18 per hour. Which rate do you want to pay?

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 7th 05, 06:09 AM
BEI Design

BEI Design wrote:
wrote in message

C'mon, the .pdf version is only $8.00. shrug It would
probably cost more than that for someone to copy and
mail it
to you. And then there's the copyright issue...

Usually manuals are free from the manufacturer. I've
never
heard of paying for a manual.

Really?

As to the copyright issue, that
seems backwards. The purchase of the sewing machine
should've
included the manual.

It almost certainly was included to the original owner.

Since it's a used machine the manual got
lost. Really, Brother should have all those manuals
available
for download.

Why? If you lost a manual or bought a used machine without
one, why should they provide it free?

That they don't is a bit frustrating. I doubt
that Brother would really mind if someone shared their PDF
version. Even if Brother does mind, so what? As you say,
it's
just eight dollars, it's kinda un-enforcable.

Do you steal the $.50 candy bars at the check out stand?
Laws against shoplifting are "kinda un-enforcable..."

That company probably has a deal with Brother, so that
Brother
doesn't have to deal with the hassle. However, the
manual's
supposed to be there, anyhow. It's not like I'm
downloading a
copyrighted movie, it's totally different. I'm just
looking
for a PDF or something which *doesn't* cost eight dollars.

Different, how exactly??? "It's not like I'm stealing this
(fill in the blank), it's totally different."

Also, it's not for me.

And that makes a difference how...???

Old September 7th 05, 07:47 AM

BEI Design wrote:
Why? If you lost a manual or bought a used machine without
one, why should they provide it free?

First, BEI Design, why did you e-mail me?

Anyhow, I dunno, why should any company provide a free manual? Yet,
they do. Amazing. Someone really needs to look into the untapped
market for all those free PDF manuals.

"24,600,000 English pages for PDF manual download," search results from
Google. I don't see that any of the listed manuals cost money to
download. In this case, the cost is for scanning in an old manual, by
the way. The "principle" of a copyright is a total side-issue.
Scanning the manual is the service.

Let's look at this from a bigger perspective. Why are those other
manuals free for download? I can't think of a single thing I've
purchased new in the past few years for which there isn't a free PDF
manual to download; you could probably download a manual for a toaster.
Why are all those manuals free?

It's a fair question, but narrowly phrased.

When I go to the Brother website and look for a fax machine, the
FAX-1820C, there's a free manual for download. Why? That's a whole
eight dollars, or whatever, that Brother is losing. They could charge
for that PDF manual, but they don't. Most curious.

If Brother really wanted to limit distribution of their manuals, why
give away this fax machines manual for free? This has almost nothing
to do with copyrights, it's just a pain to scan in the manual, that's
all.

-Thufir

Old September 7th 05, 08:16 AM
Kate Dicey

BEI Design wrote:

Why? If you lost a manual or bought a used machine without
one, why should they provide it free?

First, BEI Design, why did you e-mail me?

Anyhow, I dunno, why should any company provide a free manual? Yet,
they do. Amazing. Someone really needs to look into the untapped
market for all those free PDF manuals.

"24,600,000 English pages for PDF manual download," search results from
Google. I don't see that any of the listed manuals cost money to
download.

So what? The one you want isn't available except by paying for it.
Cough up or do without.

In this case, the cost is for scanning in an old manual, by
the way. The "principle" of a copyright is a total side-issue.

Not it isn't: it's theft if you take something that isn't yours.

Scanning the manual is the service.

And you don't believe in paying for a service?

Let's look at this from a bigger perspective. Why are those other
manuals free for download? I can't think of a single thing I've
purchased new in the past few years for which there isn't a free PDF
manual to download; you could probably download a manual for a toaster.
Why are all those manuals free?

It's a fair question, but narrowly phrased.

When I go to the Brother website and look for a fax machine, the
FAX-1820C, there's a free manual for download. Why? That's a whole
eight dollars, or whatever, that Brother is losing. They could charge
for that PDF manual, but they don't. Most curious.

It may seem odd to you, but photocopiers are not sewing machines. All
sewing machine brands sell replacement copies of their current manuals,
and some of their previous models. *Some* manufacturers make older
manuals available to download for a small fee ($8 is a small fee,
compared to the cost of a new manual for a new machine). A few have
made manuals for machines more than 50 years old available free in
various forms (there are a number available on the Singer site). Why
should they do this at all? As long as we old machine looneys can keep
our dinosaurs going, they have a diminishing chance of selling us a
brand new machine! They do it as a service to old friends. Also, most
sewing machine manuals are a lot more complex than fax manuals!

If Brother really wanted to limit distribution of their manuals, why
give away this fax machines manual for free? This has almost nothing
to do with copyrights, it's just a pain to scan in the manual, that's
all.

Maybe it makes no business sense to them? No manufacturer is in
business to make sewing machines, fax machines, whatever... They are in
business to make money. If something doesn't make money directly, they
may do it as a service to further brand loyalty or for good will. They
do not HAVE to do it at all. Fax manuals were probably prepared on a
computer, and it costs them no time to scan them: the file is available
at the click of a button. Old sewing machine manuals were type-set and
printed, with no computer involved. It takes time to scan them, prepare
them as a PDF file, and get them on a web site for downloading (I know,
I've done it). There may be insufficient call for the particular
machine machine manual for it to be worth the bother to them. For newer
machines, there IS the copyright issue. In addition, why should they
make replacement manuals available at all?

Fax machines got out of date far quicker than sewing machines. And it's
a different business with different cultural mores. Get over it.

Old September 8th 05, 07:08 AM
BEI Design

wrote in message
ups.com...
BEI Design wrote:
Why? If you lost a manual or bought a used machine without
one, why should they provide it free?

First, BEI Design, why did you e-mail me?

Sorry, my mistake, slip of the mouse pointer, I apologize.

snip nonsense
And none of your subsequent argument invalidates my point: If
Brother/Pfaff/Singer/Whomever wants to charge for a *replacement* copy
of their manual, it is their absolute right to do so, and anyone
making and/or selling illicit copies is a thief. Period.

And furthermore, anyone *soliciting* an illicit copy is encouraging
theft.

'Nuff said.