Shambles is finished

Old August 11th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default Shambles is finished

Thankyou Donna. jennellh

On Aug 10, 5:17 pm, "Donna in NE La." wrote:
What a great job. It looks just like the picture on the cover!

--
Donna in NE La."jennellh" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have uploaded the photos of the finished Shambles wall hanging and
included the photoshop details of the quilt label and birthday card
(when I print them off) - I have to tweak the image for two different
sizes and also decide about the photos that will be used for the
sisters' hug quilts - The fabric sheets are ready but I want to make
sure that I don't waste any space if possible.
Photos can be seen in my wall hangings album in webshots
http://community.webshots.com/user/barnyowl

jennellh- Hide quoted text -

Old August 11th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Glad you like it, Kathyl and certainly I will put your name on 'my
list'. jennellh

On Aug 10, 5:56 pm, "KJ" wrote:
Love it love it love it! Thanks for putting closeups of your quilting. I
love seeing what you did. It made the piece even better...if that's
possible. Congratulations. And you're giving it as a gift? Can I be on
your list??

--
Kathyl (KJ)

Old August 11th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Hi Mary, thank you for your interest in my nativity quilts.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56043956cdFbUJ
This link will take you to a photo of the church quilt in progress and
a 'backside' view of the sample design that I used for testing the
various fusing materials and glues for the stained glass veins. My
technique, as you can see is reverse applique - this means that the
black leading starts out as a large piece of black fabric. The actual
design is traced on a fusible stabilizer and this is then cut out
along the leading lines (because my picture was so large, I did fudge
on this step by leaving more of the background areas uncut until I
reached those areas to work on them) then I decided where I wanted the
leading lines to go to give the support that was needed for the weight
of the quilt). I think that you can see the white spiderweb on the
piece of black fabric which is the fusible stabilizer (this remains as
part of the quilt and is not removed). Once the stabilizer is cut out
and pressed onto the black fabric - each 'window' that is to be
coloured is cut out leaving a rough hem allowance, this is snipped and
glued to the white stabilizer (I used a trapunto stuffing tool to pick
up a tiny chunk of gluestick glue and the tool to spread it finely
over the hem allowance) - it doesn't take long to dry and then each
window can be used to audition the coloured fabric - when the
placement is right, pin in place from the front and stitch to the open
hem of the black from the front of the piece using a fine machine
applique stitch - then proceed to the next 'window' and repeat the
process. There are photos which show 'Joseph' in the background of a
couple of "My Hug Quilt" webshots' album with some of the windows
filled with colour while the majority of the black is still whole
cloth.

I hope that my explanation is easy to understand - I think that it is
an easier technique to use than the tape method and depending on the
size of the finished piece, the leading lines are one complete fabric
section which makes the whole unit more stable - the extra black
fabric on the outside of the stained glass picture is then trimmed
down to make the first outside edge and the straight of grain is
supporting the bias edges of all the coloured windows.

jennellh )

On Aug 11, 7:04 am, "MB" wrote:
jennellh.--I just had to look at other pics in your album and
love your lovely banner you made for your church. I am very interested in
the technique you used. I made a banner for my church using
Kandi Gallup's pattern...such as shown in this url from Keepsake Qltg.
The one I made was for Communion Sunday...and has a cup/bread/grapes and
giving it a stained
glass look like yours. I had bought another
pattern to do but found this one so difficult I haven't made it. Here is
the
url for other of her patterns just to give you an idea of what I made. .http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...px?PRODID=4395

The part that I found the most difficult was trying to stuff this banner
into the small space in my sew. mach. in order to top stitch all the black
tape
because while I was doing that the tape would lift in diff. areas and just
frustrated me. Anyway,,,I'd love to know the technique you used when
you made that lovely nativity scene .
BTW...Shambles is charming...I've often wondered how people
have the patience todo those PP of their pets !!...Nice job..!!

Thanks, Mary in VT

"jennellh"

Old August 12th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Jen----
....Thanks so much for explaining how you did your banner !
I do think that the reverse applique might be much easier and probably
a lot neater looking. Even though I was soooo very careful about cutting
each 'stained glass' piece they hardly ever were exact and the same went for
the tape. As hard as I tried to make it especially neat I hated
seeing my mistakes...not easy to see..but I know where they are !!
The banner I did was quite stiff by the time I got to the sewing down the
black tape part and it was so hard to manipulate it into my machine. And
as
careful as I was some of the 'glass' sections would try to stick out now and
then
and the fusible tape wasn't co-operative totally either. I finally had to
use some Fabri-TAc
glue and that helped a lot. I never did understand
the directions for the border but fortunately I'd thought that one through
beforehand and just wrapped the black backing to the front and sewed it
down.

I just went to the Ravenswood Designs site and realized that I have the
pattern called Autumn Splendor ( not yet made and bought several years ago
!! ) and it is right under
the pattern called The Creche...what you used for your center . One reason
I haven't made it is that when I bought it I didn't realize that it was 30"
x 30" --almost
too large for any wall here and probably terrified of doing a large piece
using
rev. applique.. Thanks again for sharing !! Mary in VT

[...]

SNIPPED:
. I am very interested in
the technique you used. I made a banner for my church using
Kandi Gallup's pattern...such as shown in this url from Keepsake Qltg.
The one I made was for Communion Sunday...and has a cup/bread/grapes

and
giving it a stained
glass look like yours. I had bought another one of those patterns

Old August 12th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

You're very welcome, Mary. That's the beauty of reverse applique too
- the coloured fabrics don't have to be cut to size beforehand - there
is some wastage and the fabrics tends to look like swiss cheese when
finished but it's worth it! Do you have any photos of your banner?

I went to have a look at 'Autumn Splendour' - it is very attractive -
the instructions from the designer are easy to follow and if you have
any questions when you do start it, I'd be pleased to offer
suggestions to help you. The border could be cut down to make it
smaller or you could just do the round section to see how you like the
technique? I think that any mistakes in a project only make it unique
to it's creator.

jennellh

Old August 12th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

That's Lovely!!!!!! Congrats on finishing a beautiful project.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old August 12th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Jen...the In Memory banner is in folder labeled QUILTING with a red star
that says NEW , page 5.
I uploaded it then couldn't find it and apparently added a 2nd folder named
Quilting....!!
I finally found a larger tassel for the bottom ...after I'd sewn this small
one on..only thing I could
find at the time ! Also. the chalice looks tipped in the photo but I
followed the
lines exactly and doesn't look so off in person ! Wish I'd looked at it
from
across the room before I sewed it down permanently tho.
http://community.webshots.com/user/redsandrock

ps.com...