Double Irish Chain question

Old July 7th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default Double Irish Chain question

In the early 1950's my grandmother made a Double Irish Chain quilt for
me in yellow and white, and used Prairie Points as the edging in
yellow. It's lovely, and one of my treasures.

Old July 7th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

IMO yes. Borders look good on an Irish Chain.
Roberta in D

"Kate T." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
If you were making one of these would you put a border on it or not.
I have enough fabric for a couple borders but that's not what interest
me. I'm interested in the look.

Borders yes no.

Kate T.
South Mississippi

Old July 7th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:11:23 -0500, Kate T. wrote
(in article . com):

If you were making one of these would you put a border on it or not.
I have enough fabric for a couple borders but that's not what interest
me. I'm interested in the look.

Borders yes no.

Kate T.
South Mississippi

I put borders on mine. Actually, I used the borders from the Eleanor Burns
book with Nine Patch blocks in the corners.

Maureen

Old July 8th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

On Jul 6, 8:20 pm, John wrote:
On Jul 6, 9:11 pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."

wrote:
John, both are gorgeous! I love to look at your quilts- you do great work!
I like the look either with or without the border. The only thing I would
say is stick with a pieced border- I think a single piece of fabric type
border would take away from the piecing and the pattern it makes. JMO, of
course! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"John" wrote in message

roups.com...

Kate T. wrote:
If you were making one of these would you put a border on it or not.
I have enough fabric for a couple borders but that's not what interest
me. I'm interested in the look.

Borders yes no.

Kate T.
South Mississippi

If you go to my webshots posting below you can see two examples I did.
One with and one without of the same fabric. I like them both. The
baby quilt is of course smaller and does not lend itself to borders
because that would diminish the size of the Double Irish Chain
pattern.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557991633BYARSd

John

Point well taken. The only thing is, with the bed size quilt, I was
trying to use up a large amount of "extra" squares. (read; cut too
many). Ergo, the border as pictured. I also like to break the rules;
or at least bend them a little.

John- Hide quoted text -

John, first let me say WOW!!! you did good, as we say here in
Mississippi. Your work is extremely well done both in quilting and
woodworking. Glad to see a man's point of view in this group. By
point of view I mean your choice of pattern, fabric and construction
of quilts. I know it won't be long before we hear that you have
gone on to machine quilting. I see you already have the 9 inch
throated SM that can be used on a Hinterberg, B-line, etc type frame.
Woth your woodworking skills I'd bet you would make your own frame
instead ob buying what's out there. Thank you for your suggestions.

Kate

Old July 8th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

wrote:
John, both are gorgeous! I love to look at your quilts- you do great work!
I like the look either with or without the border. The only thing I would
say is stick with a pieced border- I think a single piece of fabric type
border would take away from the piecing and the pattern it makes. JMO, of
course! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"John" wrote in message

roups.com...

Kate T. wrote:
If you were making one of these would you put a border on it or not.
I have enough fabric for a couple borders but that's not what interest
me. I'm interested in the look.

Borders yes no.

Woth your woodworking skills I'd bet you would make your own frame
instead ob buying what's out there. Thank you for your suggestions.

Kate

I have investigated the Grace Frame and it would be doable for me but
the thing that I keep running up against with construction of such a
frame is the metal and bearing parts. They are proprietary in nature
and not available from the mfg. I am sure something that would
substitute for them is available but I have not had the time to search
out alternatives. Quilting takes up most of my time, and I live in a
rural section of Ohio and there are not a lot of sources for that kind
of thing hereabout. I just need to sit down at the computer and see if
I can source them from online and then it would be a simple matter to
fabricate the frame. I think I could do a really nice solid cherry or
maple frame for less than the Grace plywood model and but for the
metal parts it would have already been built. Oh well, It gives me
another project to consider. Not that I need one right now. I am
actually in the process of working up a design for a Weaving loom for
fabric construction. I have made a number of them for various people
over the years, and now I would like to do one for myself. I am
finally living in a house that is big enough to accommodate such a
large item and not have it be the 900 lb. gorilla in the room. I have
the perfect attic loft that will take it and still be out of the way
but allow the full time setting up of such a monster. I have found
that if you constantly have to be putting away and setting up whatever
you want to work on it tends to inhibit the spontaneous usage that
would happen if there was a dedicated space with full time access to
whatever you want to do. I am currently more than half way through the
top for the Library quilt and should be ready to make up the sandwich
by next weekend. Then quilt the top and take it over and hang it up
and sit back and wait for the inquiries. Or at least hope for the
inquiries.

John

Old July 8th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

I would consider a border if the quilt asked me for
one, but I would insist on adding a 1" to 1.5" inner
border of the background fabric first. This would
'float' the chains away from the borders. PAT in VA/USA

Old July 9th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Thanks Pat

I'll give your suggestion a try. Auditions have begun to see if a
border or borders will work for me.

Kate T.

Old July 9th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey John

Have you taken a look at the Hinterberg, I'm not affiliated with the
company but I have one of their frames. You have to buy the poles but
you can have any length you want.

When I ran from the hurricane 22 months ago I was able to disassemble
the frame completely in 2 hours.

Yes it is made of plywood also.

Kate T.

Old July 9th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

John:
Over the years I HAVE noticed 'parts' available for
making quilt frames. IIRC, these were mainly the gears
and were sometimes wooden, sometimes metal. (I noticed
because I thought I'd ask DH to make a frame.) These
advertisements have been in back pages of quilting
magazines. Maybe we here in RCTQ Land can keep an eye
out for a recent ad, and post the info for you. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

John wrote:

I have investigated the Grace Frame and it would be doable for me but
the thing that I keep running up against with construction of such a
frame is the metal and bearing parts. They are proprietary in nature
and not available from the mfg. I am sure something that would
substitute for them is available but I have not had the time to search
out alternatives. ......cut.....

Old July 9th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 9, 8:29 am, "Kate T." wrote:
Hey John

Have you taken a look at the Hinterberg, I'm not affiliated with the
company but I have one of their frames. You have to buy the poles but
you can have any length you want.

When I ran from the hurricane 22 months ago I was able to disassemble
the frame completely in 2 hours.

Yes it is made of plywood also.

Kate T.

I will check it out. thank You.

John

Figuring out fabric needed for a Double Irish Chain? Johanna Gibson Quilting 2 April 25th 07 01:44 PM
Double Irish Chain Jessamy Quilting 11 June 14th 06 06:22 PM
Yardage for lap-size Double Irish Chain? Renée Clark Quilting 3 March 6th 06 10:25 PM
Irish Chain maryd Quilting 0 February 28th 06 03:46 PM
On the way to the Irish Chain... Kathy in CA Quilting 3 September 14th 03 01:06 AM