DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Old December 13th 05, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Suicides.

I don't think having a belief system makes one weak any more than going
to a doctor for help makes one weak. There are times we need more than
just ourselves.

Tina wrote:
oh Snigs, I hope you didn't think I was angry? It was a hypothetical
question that I have often asked myself, that's all. Sometimes I
wonder how others handle pain and grief if they don't have some sort of
"belief" system. And that makes me wonder, is it weak of others to
HAVE a belief system to lean on?

Tina, just being hypothetical

Old December 13th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT: Why Suicide?

What an "Insensitive Ass" (and very misinformed) you had for an
administrator!! The Living Will is a directive to hospital personnel about
THEIR patients wishes regarding DNRs (do not resuscitate), and life support.
Unless S/he wants to be sued S/he better wake up and smell the coffee.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
When I worked at a hospital, the administrator told us they didn't have to
deal with the person who had died, but the family left behind. That is
why they (at that time) didn't pay attention to a living will.

Donna in Idaho wrote:
Sandy, I wasn't aware of that. I just assumed - you know what happens
when you assume! Wonder what the reason is that Nevada doesn't recognize
living wills?

Old December 13th 05, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My dear Pollock and I made that pact also. But in the end he was alert and
oriented and made the decision himself. He was told he would die if he was
taken off the ventilator - he chose to come off. He chose to stay in
hospital (for my convenience) and lived less than 48 hours after he came
off. It was peaceful. He was watching TV and dozed off at the end of the
program - during the commercial - and just stopped breathing between one
breath and the next. He was had a DNR and living will. I was had his
medical proxy. It was so easy and peaceful. He had such great courage for
one who loved life as much as he did. I had lunch with him yesterday. I
always take him some peanut brittle and clean around his grave markers and
put up fresh seasonal flowers. White poinsettias this year. I do miss him
so.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"miriam "mim" spencer" wrote in message
I have debated with myself of adding to this thread -- My DH had RSD which
is much more painful than the diabetic neuropathy he also had. After
having a brain aneurism give way, he was paralised on one side but with no
cognitive problems. He later developed leukemia, and kidney failure in
addition to heart problems. He was at home with me (and a day male aide).
He had a brilliant mind and read classics in the original languages to keep
alert. He did not want to ever be in a wheelchair and struggled to walk.
To cross a room could take an hour.

We talked about living wills and he had one. He asked me if I would help
him if he ever found the pain and life too hard to bear and if he was too
weak to mnanage himself . Because of all the medications he had, he had
the means at hand to go at any time. I did promise but broke down later
by myself. I am one of those "stiff upper lip" Yankees.

He died a week later and we had a last few days when he was in and out of
a coma. Would I have helped?? I don't know and I am eternally grateful
that I was spared that choice. We were married for 13 years and it has
been that long since he died. I still miss his wonderful mind and the way
we enjoyed life.

Mim

"Butterfly" wrote in message
I have a cousin that is in a coma---has MS and had a series of strokes.
She is being kept alive via a feeding tube. Don't know ANY details other
than the family is very upset about that.

Butterfly (she's younger than I by a few months)

"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
Sandy, I agree with you 100%.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
I've frequently thought -- and said -- that humans are much kinder to
our QIs than we are to ourselves. We know when the animal members of
our
family are suffering too much and need relief and release, yet we're
not
allowed to do the same for ourselves. I know there are issues of how to
know that someone made a truly informed choice, rather than being
forced
into something they didn't want or doing something permanent as a
result
of mental illness or other less obvious reasons, but I think we should
be allowed to do what we feel is necessary for ourselves without our
loved ones having to suffer or leave us to do it alone. JMHO.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old December 13th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That med balancing act is SO difficult with BPD. Aside from the chemicals
themselves, so often when people are at one pole they don't think they need
the meds. My heart goes out to them, and to the people who love them.

I knew quite a bit about depression, but until I facilitated a support group
for caregivers of people with chronic illness in which there was a spouse of
a person with BPD, I never knew--or would have understood--how the manic
phase is usually the greater nightmare for their loved ones.

--Heidi
Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old December 13th 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

hfw wrote:
That med balancing act is SO difficult with BPD. Aside from the chemicals
themselves, so often when people are at one pole they don't think they need
the meds. My heart goes out to them, and to the people who love them.

They really need to find better treatment for BPD. My brother was
murdered by his BPD girlfriend when she was on a manic high and had gone
off her meds. So you can see it goes way farther than just the effects
on the person with BPD themselves -- I wish it were somehow mandatory
for them to stay on their medication. I don't know how you'd legislate
or enforce that, but perhaps it's understandable that I would wish there
could be a way, since I'll never get my brother back because his
girlfriend went off her meds and there was no one to make her take them.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old December 13th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Y seams was DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month(BOM)

Anne: Pat gave excellent instructions to stitch from 1/4" from
corner of square out to the end. I do that method, but I always
mark a wee dot on the corner spot. Your own comment about motif
is particularly significant if one is using stripes or plaids in
the house shape pieces.
PAT in VA/USA

Anne in CA wrote:

I know they aren't as hard as I once feared. But, I must admit, if I can
re-draft a block to avoid them and still get the look I want, I will.

Sometimes that extra seam really messes up the look or causes you to cut
into a fabric motif that should stay whole, so I agree that it is a good
idea to practice and get over any Y-seam phobia.

Thanks for the nice clear instructions too Patti.

Patti wrote:

For anyone who is thinking that a 'Y' seam is difficult - it really
isn't.
If you try going from one end, into the centre, pivot, and then out
the other side, yes perhaps it might not give a satisfactory result,
and so it is seen as: 'difficult'
BUT, if you make a habit of seeing the seam as *two* seams: sew the
first - and I would suggest going from the centre to the outside; then
take the piece out of the machine and re-fold so that the second seam
is convenient for sewing, again sew from the centre to the outside,
and *always* sew only to within a quarter of an inch of the centre end
of both seams (another reason why it is a good idea to start from the
centre!), then these seams are absolutely no more difficult that any
other kind of seam. Truly.

(I'm not in any way criticising anyone who has found a way to avoid
them, if that is what they want to do, just thought it might be timely
to suggest an easy method - since we haven't had 'Y' seams crop up for
a while)

Old December 13th 05, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I had been avoiding this topic; seems macabre for this NG as well as the
season in general. However, I did read this one. My first GF was bipolar.
Her mother was a nurse. GF wouldn't take the meds b/c they made her gain
weight and her mother made comments about it. Things got really ugly; she
was a nasty person w/o the meds, high or low. I escaped, and now avoid BP
people like the plague.

Old December 13th 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It is hard for me to believe that someone who commits suicide is in their
right mind. I have also had the thought it would take a lot of courage to
commit suicide too but maybe that's not it at all. Maybe they are just so
despondent that they can't think of anything but getting out of whatever is
making life so unbearable in their minds at that time. Suicide is life
shattering to those left behind. Spoken from experience I'm sorry to say.

Dixie Sugar
"Dixie" wrote in message
As far as I can understand it takes quite an amount of courage
for a person to commit suicide.
Dixie.

When I give to you something I made with my hands I share my heart.

Old December 14th 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Nope didn't think badly of you - or if you were angry - at all but certainly
would understand having a good rant at The Creator for some of the things
S/HE has "allowed" to happen. I've shook my fist in impotent anger at the
sky a few times and screamed "why?" Faith, a strong sense of self and a
good sense of humor has gotten me thru some really horrific times in my
life. Sometimes acceptance is really hard and that old adage " ... won't be
given more than I can bear..." has made the unbeareable - bearable. I
understand where you are coming from. You are one of those rare folks that
shows an open heart.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Old December 14th 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I love my daughter with all my heart but she is capable of violence when she
is manic. i try to encourage her to stay on the meds and avoid the drastic
highs and lows. I think my DSIL deserves sainthood for all his patience and
love he has for my DD. They have been married for over 11 years and she was
just diagnosed this year. He has been thru hell and stood firmly by her
side.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
JULY's BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 26 June 28th 05 07:09 PM
Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:34 AM
Now taking sign-ups for the third Harry Potter block swap ! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 8th 05 05:46 PM
DIY RCTQ Block of the Month Club M. Wetmore Quilting 25 January 6th 04 01:28 AM