ok - the story

Old July 18th 05, 07:21 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Now this is an honest consequence to bad behavior and I say go for it. If
this quilt was sold it would go for $100s of dollars. Depending on the
state of origin it is a felony - perpetrated twice. Forgive her - it's good
for the soul. But there must be consequences to such blatantly deviant and
illegal behavior. I say file charges and I will gladly give my name and
address in the list of victims.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Nancy Speicher" wrote in message
I'd don't usually post and I don't understand the "whole" story, but I'll
share a similar experience. It's long, so feel free to just delete, but
it' an example that says there are lots of people out there who are taking
advantage of kind-hearted folks. Anyway, before quilting took over my
life, I wasted too much time on the Internet. I met a group of people
online in a bingo game (free!) and we got to know each other quite well in
the chat. One person made up several stories about herself - how she was
graduating from college and getting a fabulous job at a big salary even
though she lived in a very rural area, where such a college and such a job
probably wouldn't/didn't exist. She created a pregnancy with twin girls
that she lost, but which caused lots of sadness in the group. People sent
her presents and made donations. Then one day her husband showed up in
the chat (like my DH would be able to figure out how to find out how to do
that) and told us she had died in a car accident. People went crazy.
Flowers were sent and again donations were made in her memory (at least
that went to a good cause). A few of us were suspicious but so many were
sucked in that they would not have believed the doubters. So 6 months or
so went by, and about 6 people received an email from her. It was just
one of those jokes or stories that get circulated on the 'net. A few
people didn't even believe that we had been duped even after the email.
Some of us suspected that she was still playing bingo with us using
another name and watching all of this. The email was probably a mistake
on her part but one of the people who had been most upset by her death
(from Canada) called the sheriff's department in rural Georgia and got the
response "So what has Angela done now?" So it was part of her lifestyle
online and off.

So, Linda, let us what the police say.

Nancy in muggy Maryland

"nana2b" wrote in message
I still think a call to her local Police Dept. might just scare her off.
She did commit a Fraud and on the internet too. I'll make the call!

Linda

Old July 18th 05, 07:23 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

If she did it to us - she's done it to others. If she goes without
consequences she will do it again to others. I still say Linda should call
the police and file a report and be sure and mention that this is second
time she has done this.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Taria" wrote in message
I think her address is in order so we can all send her sympathy cards.
She is pretty pathetic and needs them.
There are a lot of jerks in the world. ONce in awhile we run into
dealings with them. The big judgment to be made we won't be
making. The higher powers that be will do the job fine.
Let's move forward and forget about this sad sorry soul. We do great
stuff with our Hugs this won't change that. Her negative energy will
hopefully go into hiding for some years.
Taria

Old July 18th 05, 07:31 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

The fact this is her second scam sort of rules out this premise. Call the
police they will know whether or not she can be prosecuted. Vindictive? So
what - just add that to the list of her other deviant behaviors - but I
don't think there is a one of us that doesn't know how to block messages or
how to use our delete key. I for one am not going to live in fear of such a
small and mean spirited individual and I think Linda should most certainly
file a report with the police and I will back her up 100%. This is the
appropriate response to this kind of behavior. Living in fear only makes
one her victim - over and over again.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Don/Gen" wrote in message
news
How do you consider she committed fraud? I truly hate this person, but in
fairness she committed no crime. She did not ask for blocks, a quilt, or
anything else! It's not a crime to lie, or tell false stories. I think
that would be taking this a bit too far. The best thing to do is for ALL
of
us to quit posting on the subject. Remember she's reading the group.
Let's
quit feeding her. She's very vindictive. If you do make this call, it
might
be wise to change your email account.

Gen

Old July 18th 05, 07:42 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Yes we were scammed. Because she scammed this group before and said she had
intentions to do it again - and did!! She lied - she lied delibertly for
one purpose only - to get a quilt not made by her own labors. She is a liar
and lazy as most scammers/criminals are. The thief who steals your car is
too lazy to go out and work for the same car he steals in the dark. She is
also dumb as most common criminals are - her own words written here are
going to be used to convict her if the local prosecuting attorney files
charges against her. I know our local PA personally and trust me - he would
file in a heart beat - $500 value on a quilt is a felony in Arkansas. Our
PAs mother is a quilter. He values quilts and knows all he needs to know
about the kindness and the hearts of quilters.

As for your question - yes I would donate blocks for a quilt and have - just
put 2 in the mail today for a quilt that had no sad story attached - just
that a top was needed in a hurry and I was glad to help out. But the rules
that we judge ourselves by can't be used to someone like the scurrilous
NanaV. It's apples and lemons!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Just an introduction for new people-- I am Lia. I used to be fairly
regular on rctq. Then I quit several months ago to get busy with other
things. I'm bopping back into my usenet groups for a few days while Jim
is out of town. (For the first few days, I adore having the house to
myself, do all sorts of chores I can never get to when he's here, and eat
all the foods I love that he hates. Following that, I miss him terribly
and spend all my time on usenet.) So here I am reading this incredible
story. I don't remember the first time it happened 5 years ago, and I
missed it this time too. I have contributed to the hug quilts on and off.
Most recently, it has been off because my sewing room has been in such
disarray while it got painted and new shelves. (The shelves are now
complete and look wonderful. I was going to put that in another post.)

Now let me get back on topic. I have a hypothetical for all of you. Let's
imagine that a regular on this list plain asked for a hug and gave no
specific reason. What if she said basically that there's nothing
particularly wrong with her life, that she's essentially healthy, that her
family members are fine, that she's suffered no financial woes, that her
house hasn't blown away in a hurricane and that her car hasn't caught
fire. What if she said that she'd just love to have a quilt that everyone
contributed to and made for her? Would any of you be willing to send
blocks for that quilt?

I've thought a lot about my answer to the question, and I'm not sure, but
I like to think that I might. Every time I have sent a block for a hug, I
try to concentrate more on how much I enjoy playing around with the colors
for a 6" or 12" block without committing to designing a whole quilt. I
purposely DON'T think about the troubles the recipient is going through.
I just ask myself if I feel like making a block and then make it if I do.
A lot of times I make one that doesn't turn out very well and another that
turns out better. I stick them both in the envelope.

I suppose my point is that none of you scammed even a little bit.

--Lia

Old July 18th 05, 07:45 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I don't feel bad and didn't get the impression that anyone here was feeling
"bad". Righteous and deserved anger isn't necessarily bad. It's a healthy
act of self preservation. Even Christ became angry with the money changers
in the Temple. ... and the good Creator knows that man was more perfect
than I am. LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Butterfly wrote:
For the record, we HAVE sent blocks to an RCTQ'er that simply ASKED if we
would.

This gal already has had a HUG and it was by deception the first time and
again this. It's the 'deception' that rankled.

There is nothing wrong with flat out asking.

Oh, I got that and agree with you. When I've been scammed out of so much
as a quarter, I remember and am bothered by it far out of proportion to
the amount of money lost. Deception rankles me too. My pointing out that
we would have given if asked was an effort to help us all feel better
about what happened.

--Lia

Old July 18th 05, 07:59 PM
nana2b

I second that.

Old July 18th 05, 09:57 PM

I remember this all so perfect. My first hug block at the time and was
so proud of it..I remember the sickness she had, her almost dying
several times, Disscussing her to my friends, her visitor from out of
the country that was horrified when she found out it was a scam and
etc..Yep, I remember thinking she died and then found out what
happened..
Michele from Ohio

Old July 18th 05, 10:08 PM

I was under the impression that even the MS was a scam by her..Of course
this was 5 some years ago. ..Michele

Old July 19th 05, 01:27 AM
Listpig

More to the point, perhaps, is this:

What makes a hug different from, say, a quilt from a store?

The caring and wishes that come from the piecers and quilters.

Caring and wishes for a particular person in a particular situation.

Caring and wishes that you cannot help but know are NOT aimed at you if you
have misrepresented who you are or what's happening in your life.

Which means they aren't there anymore. So what have you really gotten?

A free quilt. Big deal. And a continual niggling reminder that you're a
fraud.

--pig, who can't find the original post anywhere

On 7/18/05 12:56, in article W2SCe.18416$fV.15859@okepread06, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

I don't think that one iota of our warmth and caring has disappeared but
stealing is still stealing and deception is still just a lie no matter what
color you give to it. Her deliberate and intentional acts - on two
different occasions - to defraud and prey on kind and loving people is
reprehensible and dispiccable. To minimize that is only enabling her to be
more dysfunctional than she already is. All criminal acts are a result of
abnormal psychology but that doesn't make them inexcusable. We forgive but
we don't forget.

Old July 19th 05, 01:28 AM
Listpig

Ditto, with little French knots on the i and curlicue quilting around all
the letters. g

--pig

On 7/17/05 19:45, in article , "maryd"
wrote:

Good to see you posting again. I've missed ya.

eScrew [email protected] Yarn 0 December 20th 04 10:54 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 December 20th 04 09:23 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Quilting 0 December 20th 04 08:59 AM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM