JULY's BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Old June 25th 05, 03:25 PM
Melissa in NJ

Default JULY's BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Sorry these are a week early. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get online
between now and the normal time I post them due to a hectic work schedule
and my and my DH's 5 year anniversary celebrations. So you get the July
BOM's a week early!!! Bad news is it will seem like forever until the
August's BOM's!!!!

NOTE: If you want to skip ahead to the July blocks and skip the background
info, July's blocks are at the very end of this post.

Melissa in NJ

=======================
RCTQ BOM Background Info:
=======================
How this BOM works is that I post two block patterns each month near the
beginning of each month. One pieced and one applique. They are all free on
the Internet. It is up to you whether you would like to do the pieced block
or the applique block (or both!). You will work at your own pace over the
course of each month. You keep your blocks. You do not mail them to me.
At the end of the year you will have twelve blocks to set into a quilt. You
keep the quilt. You do not mail it to me. You will then have your very own
2005-2006 RCTQ BOM Quilt. At that time I will collect pictures of the
finished quilts so we can all see how different each quilt looks even though
we all started with the same block patterns. When I announce a month's block
patterns, I will also include the previous months' as well so if you decide
to join along the way you will have all the blocks. Pieced blocks will be
12" in size and applique blocks will be 8" in size. This is driven by what
is available for free on the Internet. Feel free to size up/down if you so
chose.

==============
Monthly Pictures:
==============
To see pictures of each month's completed blocks navigate to the following
URL (Thanks Teri!):
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM
To submit pictures, email Teri at: teri at terbear dot com

At the end of the BOM year I'll create a gallery website for the completed
quilts.

============
BOM Schedule:
============
This BOM runs from February 2005 through March 2006. This is how the
schedule breaks down:
February 2005-January 2006: Monthly blocks
February 2006: Completing the Top (setting, sashing, borders, etc.)
March 2006: Completing the Quilt (quilting, binding, labeling, etc.) - Done!

====================
Previous Months' Blocks:
====================

FEBRUARY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/V_Z/Wat...tionBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/FolkFeathersBlock.html

MARCH:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/AntiqueTileBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt99/
The instructions are for a 6" block with very little whitespace around the
design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6", or if
you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you want to keep
the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background in the same
manner as you did for February's block, as I don't think any of the future
applique ones specify that type of background.

APRIL:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/TwistingStarBlock.html
NOTE: This one uses templates. If you'd prefer not to fiddle with templates
(I didn't!!) do the following instead. Pattern tested by me to make sure
this works:
A (Color 1): 5 1/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
B (Color 2): 5 3/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
C (Color 2): 3" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
D (Color 3): 7 1/4" x 2" rectangles. Make 8. Cut 45 degrees off ends to make
trapezoids.
E (Color 1): 2 3/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...TQAprilBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the
background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

MAY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/P_R/PrairieQueenBlock.html

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...RCTQMayBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the
background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

JUNE:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/J_L/Lad...ake2Block.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/Sta...centBlock.html
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece
the background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

====================
JULY's Blocks:
====================
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/Cas...eAirBlock.html

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...CTQJulyBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the
background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

Have fun!!!!!
Melissa in NJ

--
Pics of My Quilts:
http://community.webshots.com/user/quiltngryhndlady

Quilt Something for Yourself!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply

Old June 25th 05, 11:41 PM
maryd

Time to sew? LOL

--
Mary
"Christina in Ok" wrote in message
: a week early!! how can ask for anything better then this!!
:
: Thank you Melissa!!
:
: "Melissa in NJ" wrote in message
: ...
: Sorry these are a week early. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get online
: between now and the normal time I post them due to a hectic work
schedule
: and my and my DH's 5 year anniversary celebrations. So you get the July
: BOM's a week early!!! Bad news is it will seem like forever until the
: August's BOM's!!!!
:
: NOTE: If you want to skip ahead to the July blocks and skip the
background
: info, July's blocks are at the very end of this post.
:
: Melissa in NJ
: =========================================
:
: =======================
: RCTQ BOM Background Info:
: =======================
[...]
: ==============
: Monthly Pictures:
: ==============
: To see pictures of each month's completed blocks navigate to the
following
: URL (Thanks Teri!):
: http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM
: To submit pictures, email Teri at: teri at terbear dot com
:
: At the end of the BOM year I'll create a gallery website for the
completed
: quilts.
:
: ============
: BOM Schedule:
: ============
: ================================================== ========
: February 2005-January 2006: Monthly blocks
: February 2006: Completing the Top (setting, sashing, borders, etc.)
: March 2006: Completing the Quilt (quilting, binding, labeling, etc.) -
: Done!
:
: ====================
: Previous Months' Blocks:
: ====================
:
: FEBRUARY:
: ---------------------------
[...]
: --

Old June 25th 05, 11:47 PM
AliceW

Thanks so much, Melissa! My hubby just bought a new boat and will be
spending the day on the bay, so I have the whole day to myself for quilting!
I have to take pix of my April and May blocks, and I found the perfect June
fabric today, so that one will be done tomorrow as well. I am traveling
most of July, so waiting for August will be ok for me. And I love your
choice of block as well - already know the fabric I'm going to use!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old June 26th 05, 04:20 AM
nana2b

I am just getting June's done. Thanks for the early July. Maybe I can get
it done before I have to pack up for the move part 1. Linda

Old June 26th 05, 06:40 PM
DrQuilter

oh, no, not july already! I am falling way behind! I'll do some catchup
today, I think...

Melissa in NJ wrote:

[...]

(take the dog out for a walk)
Old June 26th 05, 09:33 PM
Patti

Thanks for thinking of us Melissa.
This is a really pretty block.
..
In message , Melissa in NJ
writes
Sorry these are a week early. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get online
between now and the normal time I post them due to a hectic work schedule
and my and my DH's 5 year anniversary celebrations. So you get the July
BOM's a week early!!! Bad news is it will seem like forever until the
August's BOM's!!!!

NOTE: If you want to skip ahead to the July blocks and skip the background
info, July's blocks are at the very end of this post.

Melissa in NJ

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 27th 05, 06:40 AM
DrQuilter

I loved it! I finished June and cut and pieced the 9 units for july but
didn't put it together yet, when I do will post pics. however, I already
know it looks great! This house hunting is cutting big time into my
weekend quilting time! But we'll be happy in a nice new place of our own
for the first time ever so it is worth it! BTW, taking Sofi with us is a
hit, today a lady let us into her house sans agent - we probably look
harmless (the agent sends us listings, we drive by to figure out which
ones we want to see the inside of and which ones are too ugly/close to
the highway/need to much work to be worth it.

I think I am going to stop making the apliques, I fail to see how they
will all fit together - maybe I'll make a wall hanging with the 4 I have.

Old June 27th 05, 01:43 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I've had too much to do and haven't got the June blocks done so will set
down and do them both this week.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old June 27th 05, 02:12 PM
Melissa in NJ

"I think I am going to stop making the apliques, I fail to see how they

will all fit together - maybe I'll make a wall hanging with the 4 I
have."

What can I do to make them better? I didn't realize they were so
disjointed. I thought they all had a kinda folk look to them. Except
for maybe the crescent being a little different. Beleive it or not
there isn't a lot of free 8" applique out there that isn't too
intimidating, but also isn't so simple people get bored.

What should I be looking for then?

Melissa in NJ

EVIL SUNBONNET SUE BLOCK SWAP georg Quilting 0 June 1st 05 08:55 PM
ATTN - Lisa "The Larsons" Melissa in NJ Quilting 0 May 11th 05 06:04 PM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
HUGs & Blocks from Newbies :-) Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 6 April 18th 04 03:44 PM
DIY RCTQ Block of the Month Club M. Wetmore Quilting 25 January 6th 04 01:28 AM