Taking the Name of Camels in Vain

Old September 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Kim E

A friend moved into our area and commenting on how all her kids
friends immediately take off their shoes and leave them by the front
door. She said it makes it easy to see how many kids are in her house
- she just counts the extra shoes.

Kim

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote in message ...
In article H3I_c.2110$Va5.1928@trnddc01,
Taria wrote:

I banned anything that has the fake red color dye from the house.
That stuff is terrible. Clear uncolored are the best.

I had to take my shoes off at a woman's house for a boy scout meeting
once (just the adults). I was really mad. I never would have worn
dirty shoes on her floor and I was insulted that I wasn't at least
warned of house rules before I got there. I tend not to wear shoes
in the house but I was really insulted that day.
Taria

I'm with you. I think it's tacky to expect that of guests -
particularly guests who have not been warned. I really dislike showing
up at someones house and being imposed on that way. I am generally cold
and at times will be ok with shoes and no socks, but have been caught at
a no shoe house and frozen in my bare feet. Had I known, I would have
worn socks or brought slippers or something.

marcella
actually rarely wears shoes but always wears socks in the house and lets
guests do what makes them comfortable.

Old September 9th 04, 08:19 PM
georg

Taria wrote:

I don't wear shoes in MY house. I just don't want to be told
after I am at someone else's house to take mine off. My problem
was it was from a controlling woman and was pretty offensive, no
warning, no choice.

I'm big on choice. If someone knows they have stinky feet, they are
welcome to keep their shoes on!

If you come to my house it is pretty clean and i will probably be
running around in socks but they are my socks. If I am sewing at
your house my shoes will come off cause that is how I sew. Bet
all you no shoe folks mostly don't have dogs in your houses?

I have a dog and several cats, and run around barefoot all summer. Pins
and all.

Winter comes though, and I'm in slippers. My feet get too cold now to
put up with the bare feet then.

-georg

Old September 9th 04, 09:24 PM
NightMist

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:41:32 -0700, DrQuilter
wrote:

Wow, I am surprised by how strongly people feel about this issue!
And here I am, innocently still thinking the japanese got it right.. )

I am never going to wear my boots to Japan.
If I ever come to visit anybody with the policy, y'all had best
include "NO SHOE HOUSE" in big red letters on the invite so I don't
wear my boots.
Thing is, the boots are knee high and fasten with eight buckles each.
If you see me at the door with my boots on, best fetch the lawn
chairs. Give me some warning and I can wear hose and pumps and carry
my skunk slippers in my backpack.

In my own house I am a run around barefoot kind of person. Drives DH
nuts (which is how I got gifted with skunk slippers), I figure I will
make some mocassins because he says I'm setting a bad example for Ash.
Ash is a boy after my own heart, you put shoes on him and you have to
take him outside immediately or he takes them right off first chance
he gets.

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old September 9th 04, 11:45 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I guess I've just always had considerate friends. I insist kids take their
shoes off cuz they are usually a mess, but I never insisted on adults taking
theirs off. They just did. I always kept a batch of slippers by the door for
guests and they would just toss shoes off and put the slippers on... or
bring their own. But maybe it is just something that people do up here cuz
it's messy most of the year. Summer is prolly the only time it isn't messy.

In the winter, I try to remember to bring my slippers with me when I visit.
--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
news
As you pointed out your hostess was rude and overbearing to *insist* on
your taking shoes off. I dont think its polite to insist your guests do
*anything* unless, like smoking inside, it endangers someone's health or
safety. The way I heard it, a hostess's job is to make her guests feel at
home, comfortable emotionally and physically, to the best of her ability.
This gal fell short of the mark.
Come on over... leave your shoes on.. or take them off.. Id be glad to
have you.
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but

let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

---

Old September 10th 04, 01:26 AM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

[...]

James has been known to pad outside to the car to go to school in the
morning, and only notice he has no shoes on when the puddles penetrate
his socks! It's become part of the 'going out the door' litany:

Shoes on!
Visit the loo!
Take your coat! (or Kag-in-a-bag for summer)

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 10th 04, 01:39 AM
MB

Could the hostess possibly have a bad back or other health problem that
makes it difficult to vac. etc.?....Vacuuming is very hard on the back I
think.
Or just an aversion to cleaning?.....

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
news
I dont have a dog. I wish I did. I still would like it if my friends took
off their shoes in the house, even if I did have pups.

Old September 10th 04, 01:40 AM
MB

While dd lived here w/ her two dogs I wore shoes.....as one of them
really shed an awful lot......Mary

"the black rose" wrote in message
Taria wrote:
Bet
all you no shoe folks mostly don't have dogs in your houses?

Sorry, you'd be wrong.

--
Only cowards fight kids.
the black rose

Old September 10th 04, 02:28 AM
Boca Jan

We leave our shoes by the front door and ask our guests to do the same. I
keep a small trash can by the door filled with slippers and flip flops for
people to use if they don't like being bare foot. Just think about what must
be on the bottoms of your shoes. Would you lick them???? Rub your fingers
over them????? Well, we don't wear shoes and don't want anyone tracking in
what is on the bottom of their feet all over our clean floors to end up on
our clean feet

I have made an exception when a workman comes to our house, but when he
leaves I immediately wash the floor. I guess everyone has their own
idiosyncrocy (?)

Boca Jan

"nbhilyard" wrote in message
In North Dakota (and western Minnesota) it is customary to take off shoes
when entering someone's house. It drove me nuts when I lived in Fargo.
I'd go over to my sorority house at NDSU and everyone's shoes would be in

huge pile in the front entry. When my collegiate adviser would come to my
house I'd say, "You can keep your shoes on!" and she'd look at me
sheepishly; obviously going against a life-long habit. I'd go to

someone's
house for a meeting--grownups, not kids!--and people would slip their

shoes
off. [Mind you, these are groups of women. I have no idea what guys do.]

Do you think this comes from slipping off muddy boots when coming in from
the fields?

Nann
(pointing out that I *almost* wrote "I'd go BY someone's house," which is
how they say it in Wisconsin..."I went over by my mom's last
weekend"....straight from the Deutsch, "uber bei")

Old September 10th 04, 02:36 AM
Boca Jan

As a no shoe person, We have a dog, and when our dog comes in from his walk
I take a hand towel I keep by the door, and wipe his feet. He doesn't bring
in any dirt and neither do we. Simple solution!

Boca Jan

the black rose wrote:
DrQuilter wrote:

Wow, I am surprised by how strongly people feel about this issue!
And here I am, innocently still thinking the japanese got it right..

)

I'm with you, Marissa. I don't like shoes in the house either, but the
best I can do with my guys is ban shoes upstairs.

Old September 10th 04, 02:53 AM
Taria

Nope 2 strong sons. The house was spotless and the one time
she came into my home (with her shoes on) she asked how
I kept my floors so shiny!
Taria

"Taria" wrote in message

I don't wear shoes in MY house. I just don't want to be told
after I am at someone else's house to take mine off. My problem
was it was from a controlling woman and was pretty offensive, no
warning, no choice.
If you come to my house it is pretty clean and i will probably be
running around in socks but they are my socks. If I am sewing at
your house my shoes will come off cause that is how I sew. Bet
all you no shoe folks mostly don't have dogs in your houses?
Taria

"Taking a spin at pottery class" Mike Pottery 0 October 12th 04 03:56 PM
Taking a break frood Quilting 4 October 20th 03 12:34 AM
taking health risks seriously , silicosis Christina Marriott Pottery 2 July 8th 03 05:57 PM