Taking the Name of Camels in Vain

Old September 11th 04, 11:13 PM
Judy Grevenites

Oh Piglet! You weren't going to the loop,---you were going todaloop!

("Driver, does this bus go todaloop?---No, it goes beep-beep") RQ

Old September 12th 04, 12:52 AM
nbhilyard

Only a ChiCAgoan would really know this.

Nann

Old September 12th 04, 03:52 AM
Boca Jan

I grew up in the North side of Chicago - Morton Grove to be exact. I sure do
relate to all that by stuff. My grandparents were all german, but I know or
think, most people use4d thata expression.

Boca Jan

"Listpig" wrote in message
"I'm going by Debbie's" doesn't mean I'm planning to drive past her house;
it means "I'm going to Debbie's house." South side didn't do "over by" so
much as just "by". (Grocery shopping: "I'm going by Joolz" = "I'm going
shopping at Jewel Food Store.")

I don't know enough Slavic languages to know how that translates, but I've
always suspected it might actually be slop from the German immigrants
sliding "bei" into "by".

Another one that's fallen by the wayside that was common on the South side
of Chicago (city and suburban) at least in the 50's and 60's is the
distinction between going "uptown" and "downtown": If you were going
"uptown", you were going to your local (town or neighborhood) commercial
district. If you were going "downtown" you were going to the Loop (main
commercial district of Chicago).

--pig, from da sout east side

On 9/10/04 21:01, in article ,
"Judy Grevenites" wrote:

The phrase "over by" is used all the time by my DIL and her friends and
siblings. Born and raised in Cicero, Ill, of Boheimian/ Czeck (sp)
background.
That is pure Chicago speak---Over by dere, etc. RQ

-- pig

http://www.faloshi-studios.com/

Old September 15th 04, 09:16 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:55:43 -0400, "MB" wrote:

You know...it might be a germ thing with her, or , perhaps she wants to
keep her house clean so that she can quilt more...or whatever!!!....I once
heard
that in Hawaii that is something that people do too...not only Japan. .In
fact , I wouldn't mind it
if all my family took off their shoes at the door....Dh does....and I do
and that helps keep my living room carpet clean....Also, no dogs were
allowed upstiars or in my "parlor" while dd lived here....That really
helped
a lot. Those carpets have been down for 10 yrs and I've never had them
prof. cleaned....and they look nice and clean.
If it is a germ thing...I don't blame her..after all...people hack up (
sorry )
up on the sidewalk....you walk in it...after it dries......and then walk it
into
your house?....Dogs do things too....!!!......Think about it....!
It certainly does sound more hygienic.....
Mary

Everyone takes their shoes off at the door in Russia, and puts on
slippers. It is very rude and inconsiderate to wear your street shoes
in a Russian house, and it is very difficult to keep the floors clean
there - they don't have floor chemicals and spiffy mops like they do
in the West. I cleaned my own floor in Russia on my hands and knees
with a rag - made sense to try and keep it clean!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 16th 04, 04:41 AM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

What about those of us who need the support of good shoes while working
around the house? I need them just as much in the house as I do outside.
My feet would kill me if I wore slippers all day.

--
Donna in Idaho
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove "invalid" to reply

news

Old September 16th 04, 05:33 AM
maryd

I'm glad you said that. As a diabetic, I am very protective of my feet.
Even at home I wear shoes and rarely the same pair in consecutive days.

--
Mary
"Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)" wrote in

Old September 16th 04, 08:11 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 03:41:28 GMT, "Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)"
wrote:

What about those of us who need the support of good shoes while working
around the house? I need them just as much in the house as I do outside.
My feet would kill me if I wore slippers all day.

I don't function as the shoe police in my house/flat/whereever - my
friend Keith is diabetic and never takes his shoes off, and I suppose
I never thought about it. I take my own shoes off, and all the
Russians do. I have several pairs of handmade slippers, if anyone
wants to use them. I'm just saying it does make a huge difference to
how clean the floors are, even when people think their shoes are
clean. Maybe Dundee is a muddy place to live in.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 16th 04, 10:16 AM
Kate Dicey

Donna in Idaho (remove invalid) wrote:

What about those of us who need the support of good shoes while working
around the house? I need them just as much in the house as I do outside.
My feet would kill me if I wore slippers all day.

While I love bare feet, and will probably die with my boots off, there
are times when I HAVE to wear something to cushion them because of the
fibro. I slide my feet into Rohde mules: the only shoes I really like!
I bought the first pair to use as 'slippers' in hospital when I was
pregnant. It was big sis's idea. I was winging about having to have
slippers and hating them, as we walked past the shoe shop. She pointed
to them and said, 'Buy those: better than slippers, and I bet you'll
love them.' I've never looked back, and wear them indoors and out,
rain, hail, snow, fine weather, whatever. Just avoid deep mud, as they
tend to get sucked off! If they get grubby, I scrub them with saddle soap.

They are espensive compared to your average slipper, but they last
several years.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 16th 04, 12:08 PM
Pat in Virginia

Donna:
Another shoe person reporting in! I like to wear shoes in the
house. If I am just lounging about I wear flip flops. When I am
working I wear sneakers or clogs or sturdy Birk type sandals. I
love the slip off shoes for sewing, as I slip them off at the SM
and slip them back on to cut and press. Outside I wear garden
clogs. I NEVER wear those in the house.

Quite frankly, offering people some slippers is off putting to
me. Wearing some shoes or slippers that have been passed around
the kith and kin? Athlete's Foot? Toenail Fungus? UGH! That is
why I think people who want me to remove my shoes in their homes
should give me fair warning so I can bring my own house shoes.

PAT in VA/USA

Old September 16th 04, 12:33 PM
DJDREVNA

Wouldn't be a problem with my grand-daughter because she is always bare foot
inside and outside.LOL

She

"Taking a spin at pottery class" Mike Pottery 0 October 12th 04 03:56 PM
Taking a break frood Quilting 4 October 20th 03 12:34 AM
taking health risks seriously , silicosis Christina Marriott Pottery 2 July 8th 03 05:57 PM