Ethical Question -- Connie Fox

Old November 28th 03, 08:40 AM
BeckiBead

Default Ethical Question -- Connie Fox

I spent a lot of time on her website yesterday. I have always wanted to learn
how to make that clasp. I did -- not very well, but I did. I made a couple of
bracelets that I really like, and thought I couldn't sell them because they are
clearly copying her clasp.

Then, I found this. Does anyone know if it is OK to sell work that looks like
hers? It will never feel right to me, but I wonder if that clasp has become
public domain or not. Would love to hear what you think about this. Because
if we can't sell them, then Carol is getting a bunch of great bracelets for
Christmas (but I really need the money, LOL). I can always change out the
clasp, and then sell it. It is, however a sharp look.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old November 28th 03, 12:19 PM
Lisa

I was just going to "say" that vj. I saw that clasp in a museum catalog a
couple of years ago...and I believe it is in Making Wire Jewelry, and even
in one of the Design Originals leaflets.

There are really only so many things that can be done with wire, and it's
been around for quite some time LOL!

Lisa
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from uybeads
(BeckiBead) :

]Does anyone know if it is OK to sell work that looks like
]hers?

i don't know who originated that clasp - but i've seen it on all kinds
of jewelry, from all kinds of people.

Old November 28th 03, 03:24 PM
Carol in SLC

Because if we can't sell them, then Carol is getting a bunch of great
bracelets for Christmas

LOL!! Actually, I don't believe Connie Fox *invented* that clasp - I'm pretty
sure a coiled clasp like that was in one of my Wire Artist Jeweller mags a
LOOOOOOONG time ago!

Carol in SLC
My newest creation (11/24): http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/elissa.jpg
http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/elissacu.jpg
Old November 28th 03, 04:05 PM
Karen_AZ

I've been taught a similar clasp in two different wire-wrapping classes, so
it's apparently out there in public domain one way or another. And honestly,
it's a logical offshoot from making coiled charms so it's kind of
inevitable.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old November 28th 03, 04:45 PM
Mary Ann

Well, first of all I love and admire Connie's work. The way she puts
her designs together is just amazing. Now, as far as the clasp being
public domain, I was making that clasp nearly 20 years ago when I was
designing and selling jewelry to a chain of stores in California
called "Beadazzled", only in copper. I made bangles with African trade
beads and wire wrapped around a copper base then accented it with
brass wire wrapped in places. I sold them wholesale to Beadazzled. If
I were to make those today, someone might think I copied the idea from
Connie. I was also using the "clasp" design as earrings, both upright
and upside down with a bead hanging from it. Now that I'm back to
making some jewelry, I have thought about reviving that earring
design.

I'm not going to get into the ethics of copying or the perception of
copying, but just because someone is the first to become "known" for a
design, does not mean they were the first (or only one) to come up
with it. :-.

Mary Ann

Old November 28th 03, 05:09 PM
Mary Ann

"I was making that clasp nearly 20 years ago when I was
designing and selling jewelry to a chain of stores in California
called "Beadazzled","

Ha! My husband just reminded me it was 30 years ago, not 20. He, ever
carefully , reminded me I was 48, not 38. Yikes! When did I get that
old?? :-

Mary Ann
Old November 28th 03, 06:06 PM
BeckiBead

I'm thinking I had seen it before also, as a tutorial in one of the jewlery
magazines actually, but she is rather famous for using it, so I wanted to ask
the question first.

Old November 28th 03, 06:08 PM
BeckiBead

Mary Ann -- thanks for that perspective. I have used coils also, at the bottom
of wires in place of a head pin, but not a clasp like that. I appreciate all
who weighed in.
Old November 28th 03, 06:51 PM
VManes

And how bruised did he get for reminding you? If I said something like to
my wife I'd end up in traction. She intends to maintain her age the same
way Jack Benny did (perpetually 30-somehting)
Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

"Mary Ann" wrote ...

Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
Ethical Question on Beads Maeven Beads 17 September 25th 03 02:51 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM