Propane regulator question

Old July 19th 05, 03:22 PM
Fragile Warrior Bees

Default Propane regulator question

I'm working with our local propane (and propane accessories guy to get a
100# propane tank for the studio. He has some regulators on hand and has
asked specifically what sort of PSI lampworking uses for the propane end of
the mix. Can someone help me with that? In the books or sites I've seen,
they talk about one-stage and two-stage regulators but they never mention
the PSI needs. He has the two-stage regulators, I believe.

Also, he thought that a flashback arrester was just sort of a gimmick. He
had actually never heard of the term and is going home at lunch to look at
the site where I first saw them to find out what they are. What's
everyone's opinion on this bit of info? Does he not know what he's talking
about, is the terminology just odd or are they a gimmick?

Thx,
Giselle

Old July 19th 05, 03:46 PM
Kalera

You should be able to just use a pancake regulator with most torches;
it's a cheap little doohickey and drops the pressure down to about what
you need, which is, depending on your torch, 5-10 PSI. A two-stage
regulator is going to be a very large and not entirely necessary
expense; most people do fine with single-stage regulators at half the
cost. Pancake regulators are a fraction of even that cost.

I'm mildly alarmed that Mr. Propane & Propane Accessories doesn't know
what a flashback arrestor is. :O! All it is, is essentially a backflow
valve that prevents anything (FIRE) from flowing backward into the tank
and causing an explosion.

You might want to check your Yellow Pages for a welding supply shop in
your area. Their torches are very similar and the way you set them up is
virtually identical, so they will probably be many times more helpful.
They'll have the right hoses, regulators, quick-connects, flashback
arrestors, the works.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old July 19th 05, 06:14 PM
Tinkster

Giselle, the pressure you need is determined in large part by the
torch you have. What torch will you be using?

Also, the propane tank will be outside the studio, yes?

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:22:17 -0500, "Fragile Warrior Bees"
wrote:

I'm working with our local propane (and propane accessories guy to get a
100# propane tank for the studio. He has some regulators on hand and has
asked specifically what sort of PSI lampworking uses for the propane end of
the mix. Can someone help me with that? In the books or sites I've seen,
they talk about one-stage and two-stage regulators but they never mention
the PSI needs. He has the two-stage regulators, I believe.

Also, he thought that a flashback arrester was just sort of a gimmick. He
had actually never heard of the term and is going home at lunch to look at
the site where I first saw them to find out what they are. What's
everyone's opinion on this bit of info? Does he not know what he's talking
about, is the terminology just odd or are they a gimmick?

Thx,
Giselle

Tink Martin - Art Glass
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old July 19th 05, 06:34 PM
Fragile Warrior Bees

"Tinkster" wrote in message
Giselle, the pressure you need is determined in large part by the
torch you have. What torch will you be using?

A Nortel Minor.

Also, the propane tank will be outside the studio, yes?

We're deciding. Since we operate the house on propane, there's a 300# tank
between the house and the studio location. The "studio" will be a room
sectioned off in a large, empty metal structure. The tank can be place
anywhere at this point but are you asking if it will it be far away from
open flame? Far enough. I'm chicken. But I am getting used to living
around tanks of propane that can obliterate all life in a 1/2 mile area.

Old July 19th 05, 06:38 PM
Fragile Warrior Bees

"Kalera" wrote in message
You should be able to just use a pancake regulator with most torches; it's
a cheap little doohickey and drops the pressure down to about what you
need, which is, depending on your torch, 5-10 PSI. A two-stage regulator
is going to be a very large and not entirely necessary expense; most
people do fine with single-stage regulators at half the cost. Pancake
regulators are a fraction of even that cost.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm buying the regulator or renting it at this
point. We'll have to see.

I'm mildly alarmed that Mr. Propane & Propane Accessories doesn't know
what a flashback arrestor is. :O! All it is, is essentially a backflow
valve that prevents anything (FIRE) from flowing backward into the tank
and causing an explosion.

Yep, he said that can't happen. No propane = no flame. The end. Honest to
God, unless they call it something entirely different here in East
Bubblebutt, Indiana, he did not know what I was talking about. I gave him
the backwash scenerio and he said he did not think it could possibly occur.
Their welding torches do not use it.

You might want to check your Yellow Pages for a welding supply shop in
your area. Their torches are very similar and the way you set them up is
virtually identical, so they will probably be many times more helpful.
They'll have the right hoses, regulators, quick-connects, flashback
arrestors, the works.

Nearest welding place is like 50 miles away. I was hoping to find something
closer to home but I'll keep it in mind in case I need to go elsewhere.

Thx,
Giselle

Old July 19th 05, 06:50 PM
Tinkster

The Minor requires2-5PSI for propane and 5-10PSI for O2.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:34:40 -0500, "Fragile Warrior Bees"
wrote:

.. .

Old July 19th 05, 06:52 PM
Tinkster

Pancake regulators don't typically offer enough pressure to allow a
flashback arrestor to work. The good news is that for a surface mix
torch, an arrestor really isn't required.

Old July 19th 05, 08:03 PM
Cheryl

We're deciding. Since we operate the house on propane, there's a 300#
tank
between the house and the studio location. The "studio" will be a room

sectioned off in a large, empty metal structure. The tank can be place

anywhere at this point but are you asking if it will it be far away
from
open flame? Far enough. I'm chicken. But I am getting used to living

around tanks of propane that can obliterate all life in a 1/2 mile
area.

sheesh -why get another propane tank at all then?
All you need is a T line off your main house tank - contact a local
plumber and have them come in and plumb a line to the "studio."
Most professional glass studios I have been in have such plumbed gas.

Your local plumber can set you up with a proper connection and the
proper regulation (if required)for your needs.
Please don't depend on the people you have been talking to at the
propane place - they obviously do not know what they are talking about.
Additionally, I believe that you can run a Nortel Minor off regular
"house" pressure line....they only need a few pounds like 5 psi.

regardless - you should NOT PUT the tank inside the studio!

Cheryl

A Nortel Minor.

Old July 19th 05, 08:19 PM
Fragile Warrior Bees

"Cheryl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

House pressure is 1/2 PSI according to the guy I've been talking to. In
fact, he says an entire neighborhood can be powered by that. (Hey, I'm just
repeating what he's telling me.)

My kid is resisting the line from the main tank to the studio. Plumbers are
hard to come by here and, in the end, I'm not sure that will be any cheaper
than the extra tank but I will call around.

Would the plumber set up the line to go over or under ground? (One of her
main objections is seeing the line go between the tank and the studio.)

Giselle

Old July 20th 05, 03:00 PM
Meredith Williams

Hi Giselle,

I set up a shed studio in my backyard last fall and I was asking the
same questions. I don't use propane at all in my house, so I had a 100
lb tank installed for the shed to supply both the torch (minor burner)
and the wall mounted heater. The tank is about 10 feet from the shed
sitting on a concrete pad. Copper tubing runs underground to the corner
of the shed where it goes into a 25psi regulator. The output of the
25psi reg is then split into 2 separate lines - one goes to another
regulator that brings the pressure down to the 1/2psi for the heater;
the other line goes to a single-stage propane regulator* (with gauges
for tank and line pressure) that can be adjusted from 0 to 25psi. Both
lines coming into the shed have their own shut-off valves, and there is
a master shutoff at the tank.

*I bought the torch, hoses and regulator from Arrowsprings

Meredith