Marking Michelle's quilt top

Old August 17th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Marking Michelle's quilt top

Recently, I saw this comment from Michelle
The biggest reason for this is that I have never found a method to
mark the quilt yet and again, don't have the confidence to just wing it
without
marking first.

Please climb in here and tell Michelle what you use to mark a quilting
pattern on a quilt top. Mine is probably the most primitive. I use Crayola
Washable felt tip pins. I do Not leave it 'in' for very long and I do wash
my quilts when finished. So far, this simple method has worked quite well.
[A warning: one summer I used one of those blue water-soluble expensive
pens to mark some embroidery for traveling. The heat in the car did make
those lines a very permanent black.]
Sometimes for just a general line of how far to curve this way and then
lean the other way, I use plain old white blackboard chalk. Kind of messy
but easy to remove. Polly

Old August 17th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Not much help, as I don't mark my quilts either! However, I have been
able to come up with enough ways of working out how to do what quilting
I want that I can do more or less any quilting that I want or am able to
do. My quilting repertoire is expanding a bit, so I just have to devise
new methods where necessary. I am pretty good at eye-balling a line
(straight or curved) bridging two points, provided they are not *too far
apart; and I also do a lot of 'quilting round freezer paper', or through
Press 'n' Seal.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 17th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

[...]

Polly, when I mark I do like those washable blue markers; I'm just very
careful not to leave a marked quilt near a window in our sunny, hot
climate. G However, not too long ago (two years? less?) I "discovered"
the Bohin chalk pencils and really love them. The chalk isn't messy like
the stuff we used to use on blackboards; it's a very fine "lead" like
you'd find in a mechanical pencil. The best part, though, is that it
comes in several colors! There's white, grey, yellow and green/teal --
which means there should be something for just about any color of
fabric. Anyway, the stuff washes out like a dream, and it erases
(there's an eraser on the pencil) when I make a wrong mark.

Most of the time, I don't really mark entire motifs, though. Like you, I
may only mark where a curve is to reverse direction, or I may mark the
spine of a feathered motif. The less marking, the better, IMHO. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old August 17th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate

Hey Neighbor:

Your right about the blue washible pens. I've tried the expensive
papers and even the press and seal. I found the freezer press and
seal is a little thicker, therefore easier to get out. But I didn't
like that either. I tried marking on freezer paper and that was a
mess to get out.

So I went with plain old wax paper. What ever design I want I print
it out on my printer and tape the design to a glass top table . I put
a table lamp under the table to get enough light so I can trace the
design on the wax paper. I tape the wax paper down so it will not
slide and use of all things a crochet hook, a size zero, for tracing.

I then apply double sided scotch tape to the wax paper then stick it
where I want to do quilting.

I tried the spray adhesive on the wax paper but it gummed up on the
needle too much that's when I started using the scotch tape.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old August 17th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

The hassle of marking quilts was what led me to investigate the
different free motion techniques that require NO MARKING. It is so
much easier and faster. I got the best ideas from
http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com but I also bought a book called
"Freehand Filler Patterns," by Sue Patten, that was a tremendous help
to me. (And John, she does hers by staying inside the seam lines!!!)

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:59:04 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Please climb in here and tell Michelle what you use to mark a quilting
pattern on a quilt top.

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old August 17th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I like using a lot of background/filler type quilting that requires no
marking. When I mark it's small areas at a time using a Chaco Liner. It's
a little tube thingy with powdered chalk that comes out via a roller wheel.
The chalk comes in several colors and removes easily- and the markers are
cheap. Works for me!

Leslie & The Furbabies in stormy MO.

Old August 17th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

The last time I tried machining through Press 'n' Seal was on a white
background. I had marked with a black pigma (Micron) pen and left it
overnight to dry well, but when the needle went through some of the
black was transferred through. I ended up appliqueing leaves in that
area instead of quilting them.

What sort of pen do you use? I have been saving Press 'n' Seal for
darker quilts, but am about to start quilting a pastel coloured baby
quilt, and it would be the easiest method. Perhaps I should just have a
practice at drawing daisies freehand.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Patti wrote:
Not much help, as I don't mark my quilts either! However, I have been
able to come up with enough ways of working out how to do what quilting
I want that I can do more or less any quilting that I want or am able to
do. My quilting repertoire is expanding a bit, so I just have to devise
new methods where necessary. I am pretty good at eye-balling a line
(straight or curved) bridging two points, provided they are not *too far
apart; and I also do a lot of 'quilting round freezer paper', or through
Press 'n' Seal.
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old August 17th 09, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I love watercolour pencils like Caran d'Ache and the like. They wash
out really easily and stay on till the job's done. On the Blue thing
I used about every chalk, pencil and crayon on the market. In the end
I was lucky and they all washed out, but I am a bit pickier now. The
watercolour pencils are soft, so they don't drag the fabric. They
sharpen as pointy as you want and you can get them in a miriad of
colours. I can either match or contrast the colour of the thread or
quilt depending on whether I shall wash it out or let it fade.

I get a bit frustrated with chalk-based markers on wholecloth or hand
work because they disappear before I get there. I am so slow and mush
the quilt about so much in my dump bag, it all just rubs off. The
pencils don't.

I also like the Sewline pump action pencil. It carries easily and
doesn't need sharpening (down side to the above). Comes out well,
because it is chalk based, again. I use that to titivate a line if it
looks wonky, or is unclear in the light. No good on white fabric
though!

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Patti wrote:
[...]
of messy but easy to remove. *Polly- Hide quoted text -

Old August 18th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

On dark fabrics, like black, I like to use either a soapstone marker or
a mechanical "pencil" type device that holds little "leads" of chalk. I
have a packet of white chalk "leads" and also one of lavender, yellow,
pink, green, etc "leads". Sometimes one of those pastels is easier to
see on black than white.

For lighter fabrics, I use Crayola washable markers and try to finish
the project quickly, not leave it in the sun or near heat, and have not
had any problems with that method so far.....

I have one of those Hera markers, and I want to try that as well,
especially on another black UFO I have lying around somewhere. Once I
dig it out, I will try using that method.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 18th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

My hera marker has never had any success. Any tricks to using one? Polly
"Jo Gibson" wrote On dark fabrics, like black, I like to use either a