Macs

Old August 13th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_4_]

Default Macs

Kathyl, I bought a new laptop and it came with Vista (don't really like it
but am getting used to it). I found out then that my Bernina software
wasn't compatible with Vista so had to upgrade. If I remember correctly my
Version 4 wouldn't work and I had to go to Version 5. Check with the
BerninaUSA site, I believe that is where I found that it wasn't compatible.

--
Donna in NE La.
kd maine 77 at yahoo dot com
"KJ" wrote in message
Yes, XP can still be ordered and will be supported by MS for a few more
years. I have XP now. Maybe that's what I should do...order XP. My
current embroidery program is a version behind (soon to be two behind) and
doesn't work on Vista. Though I was thinking I'd do an upgrade at some
point.
Hummm...the Windows decision looks pretty obvious! Does anyone know the
difference between the 32 bit and the 64 bit? (And don't answer...32!)
But what do you really think about Vista, Polly??

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Will you have a choice between Vista and XP? I hate, hate, hate Vista
(not that I'm going to be emotional about it). I don't know Mac from
BurgerKing but I do know that Vista is a curse.
Trying to be calm. Pass me my crayons. Polly

"KJ" wroteI have a new Mac laptop. Now I need to figure out how to get
newsgroup
access without using Outlook Express. I know we've hashed this in the
past....but at that time it didn't pertain to ME!
So far I like it, but I wouldn't say I'm in love yet. I have a lot of
work to do to get programs loaded. I haven't yet installed a Windows
program (XP or Vista), nor Parallels or Fusion (any suggestions as to
which ones should I use for EQ6 and Bernina embroidery program?)
Thanks for any help, tips, trick, and info you can give me. This group
knows EVERYTHING!

Old August 13th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

This is one of the few instances I know of where software is not
upwardly compatible, and instead of doing the right thing the vendor
forces its customers to purchase a whole new version rather than a
reduced-price upgrade or providing a fix. When we bought the SM, we
had to buy a whole new computer because Bernina's software wouldn't
run on the one we had at the time (and it was the ONLY piece of
software that wouldn't run on it). As I mentioned previously, we're
stuck with that now obsolete machine just to run the software we spent
a small fortune on to begin with because of the dongle (and now that's
ALL we can do with that machine). It's going to be food for
considerable thought the next time we upgrade SMs. YMMV.

Old August 13th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article IrLgm.596$5H6.184@attbi_s21, "KJ"
wrote:

I have a new Mac laptop. Now I need to figure out how to get newsgroup
access without using Outlook Express. I know we've hashed this in the
past....but at that time it didn't pertain to ME!
So far I like it, but I wouldn't say I'm in love yet. I have a lot of work
to do to get programs loaded. I haven't yet installed a Windows program (XP
or Vista), nor Parallels or Fusion (any suggestions as to which ones should
I use for EQ6 and Bernina embroidery program?)
Thanks for any help, tips, trick, and info you can give me. This group
knows EVERYTHING!

Congratulations, Kathyl!!! I hope you'll love your Mac as much as I do
mine. Do you have a MacBook or a MacBook Pro? Mine is a MacBook --
almost three years old now.

I don't know what others are using for newsgroup access, but I've used
MT-NewsWatcher http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/ for *years* and never had it
let me down. It doesn't have the prettiest interface, but it works well.

As for loading EQ6 and your Bernina embroidery stuff, I've heard people
who use either Parallels or Fusion, and both seem to work quite well. I
don't have embroidery, but I do run EQ6, and I use Parallels quite
happily. There will be a few modifications to the keys you use in EQ6,
but that happens in either Parallels or Fusion. I'd recommend that you
join the EQonMacs Yahoo group, and there's also a Mac group for the
Bernina software, though I don't know the name of it.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old August 13th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I have the same question. Thanks Bev. I'd like to keep downloading the
messages. I'd rather not have to do it through Google.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Bev in TX" wrote in message
On Aug 13, 6:42 am, John wrote:
I have a Mac laptop and just use the Safari Browser to get all of the
newsgroups that I want to pull in.

.... portion snipped ...
John

How do you access the newsgroups via Safari? I currently access them
via Google via Safari, but I don't see how to access them via a
newsgroup reader via Safari?

Thanks,
Bev in TX

Old August 13th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Bought my Mac from the university bookstore with the small faculty discount.
So I don't have a local dealer for that sort of thing. The nearest Apple
store is over 100 miles away.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:07:20 -0500, KJ wrote
(in article IrLgm.596$5H6.184@attbi_s21):

I have a new Mac laptop. Now I need to figure out how to get newsgroup
access without using Outlook Express. I know we've hashed this in the
past....but at that time it didn't pertain to ME!
So far I like it, but I wouldn't say I'm in love yet. I have a lot of
work
to do to get programs loaded. I haven't yet installed a Windows program
(XP
or Vista), nor Parallels or Fusion (any suggestions as to which ones
should
I use for EQ6 and Bernina embroidery program?)
Thanks for any help, tips, trick, and info you can give me. This group
knows EVERYTHING!

I use a shareware program called Hogwasher to read the ng. I think I
downloaded it from Apple's website.

When it came time to load Parallels and Windows I had the gurus at our
local
Mac dealer do it for me. I could probably have done it myself, but spared
myself the headache and anxiety.

Maureen

Old August 13th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Yeah....I have version 4 too. So that's why I think I'll get a version of
XP. Ver 6 is coming out soon, but I'm not sure if I could do the upgrade
easily with the program/computer issue. I haven't used the embroidery much
lately, so I hate to upgrade the program due to the operating system. On
the other hand, the support issues become a problem if you get too far
behind on the versions. A can of worms!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 13th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I know, the Bernina software is a real pain sometimes. Though the upgrades
aren't full price if you stay within a version or two of the most current
one. But that's also where the computer/OS comes into play too.....if the
old software won't load on the new computer, you can't upgrade the old
software. Catch 22

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 13th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 13th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Thanks Sandy, I have the MacBook Pro. I've been on the EQ for Macs list
for a couple years. I'll look for the Bernina group, too. I'll check out
the NewsWatcher.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 13th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Newsgroups made easy: http://www.eternal-september.org/

After dumping the evil empire aka at&t, I've been receiving ALL the
ng notes from E-S. (Google newsgroups seems so clunky)
Entourage is good to me.

Having a chuckle at all the notes from the non-Mac users. Until you
have a Mac you don't realize how easy it is; it just makes sense.

The View from Mac is great, who needs a vista? ;-P
Leave the X-ing behind.

Safari is okay; Firefox is faster w/ fewer slow-downs (as the
apple tech recommended):
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

Congrats on your new MacBook, Kathyl.
Enjoy!

R/Sandy - "this is how computers are supposed be" ;-D