Quality child's sewing machine

Old October 30th 04, 09:48 PM
Joan

Default Quality child's sewing machine

Anyone know the reputation of children's sewing machines? I want to
get one for my 8 year old granddaughter, but after looking on eBay
it's confusing. I don't want to get junk -- it would frustrate her
to have something that doesn't function well.

Thank you

Joan
Old October 30th 04, 09:49 PM
Pogonip

Joan wrote:
Anyone know the reputation of children's sewing machines? I want to
get one for my 8 year old granddaughter, but after looking on eBay
it's confusing. I don't want to get junk -- it would frustrate her
to have something that doesn't function well.

Thank you

Joan

There is no faster way to turn a child away from sewing
than to have them wrestle with a toy machine. Many people
have found it much better to give a simple "real" machine
such as a Singer 99, which is smaller than a standard
head. Not light, but lighter. Some have removed the
motor and put on a reproduction handcrank, others have
rigged the foot control to limit speed. There is even a
needle guard that I understand can be had.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old October 31st 04, 02:14 AM
taria

99's are great little machines. Once in awhile you see them
in cabinets and that is a fun set up. They are small but heavy.
If you can swing a Featherweight they are great to learn to sew
on. Singer 301's are great too.
There are some good pictures on my website with a little info too.
Taria

Old November 1st 04, 05:52 AM
Joan

That's kind of the conclusion I'd reached about the kids' machines. I
know the Barbie is useless.

The needle guard sounds really essential. Thanks, because it's not
something I was even aware existed. (I bought my LAST sewing machine
in 1960s, a Bernina, then the Cadillac of sewing machines.)

What about the Kenmore Ultra mini #11206 or the Sew D'lite sm888.
I've seen both on eBay.

I'm leaning toward the Kenmore because they live in Las Vegas (I'm
not) and they could take it to Sears for help.

Thanks,

Joan
Old November 1st 04, 06:54 PM
Kate Dicey

taria wrote:
99's are great little machines. Once in awhile you see them
in cabinets and that is a fun set up. They are small but heavy.
If you can swing a Featherweight they are great to learn to sew
on. Singer 301's are great too.
There are some good pictures on my website with a little info too.
Taria

If you want a greater range of stitches than the Featherweight, look out
for an Elna Lotus: there's one with my son sewing on it on my web site.
He's 10.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 2nd 04, 08:14 PM
Pat in Virginia

Pfaff makes a needle guard. You can ask about similar
attachment for other SM. PAT

Joan wrote:
That's kind of the conclusion I'd reached about the kids' machines. I
know the Barbie is useless.

The needle guard sounds really essential. Thanks, because it's not
something I was even aware existed. ...cut...

Question about Old Viking Sewing Machine flan Sewing 9 August 11th 12 05:33 AM
Please help me identify my New Home Sewing Machine Frosty772 Quilting 2 June 5th 04 07:49 PM
FAQs for June Diana Curtis Quilting 14 June 5th 04 10:53 AM
sewing machine repair (Long winded) Christina in Ok Quilting 8 November 2nd 03 03:51 AM
New addition to the sewing machine family shhdesigns Quilting 2 August 6th 03 01:57 AM