Kenmore 385.15516000 - Can it sew elastic?

Old August 23rd 04, 01:21 AM
Oakdale6884

Default Kenmore 385.15516000 - Can it sew elastic?

I own a Kenmore sewing machine, model 385.15516000. Does anyone know
if this can sew elastic? I need to sew a piece of elastic into a
circle, so it would be sewing elastic to elastic (3/8 inch swimwear
elastic). If it can handle elastic, what tension setting do I need to
use?
Old August 23rd 04, 01:25 AM
pas

Oakdale6884 wrote:
I own a Kenmore sewing machine, model 385.15516000. Does anyone know
if this can sew elastic? I need to sew a piece of elastic into a
circle, so it would be sewing elastic to elastic (3/8 inch swimwear
elastic). If it can handle elastic, what tension setting do I need to
use?

Any domestic ( home) straight stitch can sew elastic. Do not change the
tension settings under any circumstances. You might want to get a book on
sewing basics out of the library.

Penny S

Old August 23rd 04, 11:45 PM
Oakdale6884

Penny,

Thanks for the info, but it does not completely answer my question.
Are you saying that it does not matter what the tension setting is?
The tension settings on my machine go from 0 to 9, so I would think
there would be quite a bit of difference when sewing different types
of things.

Kim
Old August 23rd 04, 11:57 PM
pas

Oakdale6884 wrote:
Penny,

Thanks for the info, but it does not completely answer my question.
Are you saying that it does not matter what the tension setting is?
The tension settings on my machine go from 0 to 9, so I would think
there would be quite a bit of difference when sewing different types
of things.

Kim

you will seriously screw up your sewing capabilities if you mess with the
tension **UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!**... this would only be
for an experienced sewist, in certain situations like an off thread size,
embroidery, or a double needle. Ideally you leave the top and bottom
tensions alone.

It matters what number it is set at because if it is not set correctly you
will have lots of sewing headaches. Do not change it unless you know what
you are doing. If the machine is sewing correctly as it is, do not mess with
the tension. Typically, tension is set correctly when the machine is
serviced, and you leave it like that until the next service, with the above
exceptions.

penny s

Old August 24th 04, 01:09 AM
Kate Dicey

pas wrote:

Oakdale6884 wrote:

[...]

Indeed. I use lots of different threads of differing weights and fiber
content. I also use a lot of different stitches that require different
tensions. I change my tension all the time, BUT I always check that
what I have done with it is easily put back to the standard setting.

With elastic the needle type is more important than the thread tension:
use a ball point needle. You MAY find that you need to tighten the
upper tension a notch or two, but remember what it was set for before,
and PUT IT BACK before you even consider the next project.

I would add that I have been sewing for slightly more than 40 years
now... AND I use a serger, where changing the tension is something you
do all the time, so tension settings are no mystery and hold no fears
for me. I even play with my bobbin tension! And I have been known
to dismantle a tension mechanism and clean all the bits, and reassemble
it later to perfect working order rather than the useless mess it was
before... Not, I hasten to add, on my Lily! No, this was on the old
15-88 treadle. I also removed the latch and spring from the bobbin case
and cleaned them of fossilized grunge. Not to be tackled by the faint
of heart or those without a good diagram to follow and a really
experienced feel for what good tension should feel like!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old August 24th 04, 08:15 AM
Tom Farrell

(Oakdale6884) wrote in message . com...
Penny,

Thanks for the info, but it does not completely answer my question.

Kim, please don't take this as an insult, because it's not intended as
such: the fact that you asked what you did tells us that you have
insufficient knowledge of and experience with sewing for you to be
able to sew as easily and happily as you deserve. That's why I agree
with Penny that it would be a good idea for you to get a good book
about basic sewing. I also suggest you call a local fabric shop or
sewing machine shop and ask if they offer an introductory lesson or
can recommend someone who does. Introductory sewing lessons are
usually fairly cheap, and should help you gain a lot of confidence. We
want you to find sewing to be fun and easy, which is why we're
recommending additional education for you. You're worrying about the
easy stuff: just a little basic education should make you a lot
happier.

Are you saying that it does not matter what the tension setting is?
The tension settings on my machine go from 0 to 9, so I would think
there would be quite a bit of difference when sewing different types
of things.

I understand why you might think about it that way, but in this case,
just because the option is there doesn't mean you need to frequently
use it. I could count on my fingers the number of times I've had to
adjust the tension on my machine in the 20 years since I learned to
sew, and most of them were because I accidentally brushed against the
knob and threw off my previous adjustment. (One time was due to
someone toying with my machine's knobs when I wasn't paying attention,
and three were "I got a new machine and have to adjust the tension".)
I can't honestly tell you how many years it has been since I last
adjusted it... it has been too long and I've forgotten.

Many sewing instructors will tell you to take some scraps for each
project and make some sample stitches to check the tension before you
start sewing. In practice, I've never found this necessary with my
sewing machine. (Sergers are another story, for another discussion.)
Of course, some machines have loose parts and need to be readjusted
regularly, but that's a defect, not indicative of a normal practice.
My machien happens to be particularly stable in that regard.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old August 24th 04, 08:47 AM
Kate Dicey

Tom Farrell wrote:

[...]

Kim, Please PLEASE pay attention to Tom! He has hit the nail very
fairly and firmly right on the head! I teach sewing classes
occasionally, to both kids and adults. *I* check the tension on my
students machines, set it to suit their fabrics, and then instruct them
firmly to LEAVE IT ALONE! At least until they know more about how
it works and why it's important.

My main machine, on which I do the bulk of my customer sewing, is a
Husqvarna Lily 550: it has a built in 'sewing adviser' which advises me
of a range of tension settings suitable for each stitch pattern I
choose, from a menu of 240... If your machine is like this, then there
will be times when changing the tension will be necessary, to get the
best stitch finish. If yours is a simpler mechanical machine, you will
rarely need to alter the tension. Once sorted, I rarely touch the 15-88
tension, no matter what I sew or what with. The same applies to my
Featherweight and my 66. It applies also to my mothers Viscount, and
most other mechanical machines with a small range of stitches. When
using zigzag or other 'wide' stitch patterns, you may well have to alter
the tension, but for straight stitches I usually only alter stitch
length and presser foot pressure, and use the right type of needle for
the fabric/job to get good results.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

HELP FIND 4-WAY STRETCH ELASTIC John Hansen Marketplace 2 December 1st 04 02:23 AM
White Kenmore... Good Deal? KittyG Quilting 2 October 20th 04 03:33 AM
help with elastic Carey1003 Sewing 1 April 7th 04 11:39 PM
Need source for red waistband elastic [email protected] Sewing 2 November 20th 03 03:52 AM
Looking for elastic in fluor colors John Marketplace 0 October 10th 03 10:54 AM