Singer Monogrammer

Old August 19th 04, 02:41 AM
Tom Farrell

Default Singer Monogrammer

As I was saying when I was so rudely interrupted, I really like my
antique Singer Buttonholer for the very hand-worked-looking
buttonholes it makes, and in the manual they mention cams to do
monograms. I searched ebay for a Singer Monogrammer and I only found
them for a slant needle machine, and searched for cams and didn't find
any letter cams that would work on my buttonholer. I've seen an old
boxed Singer Monogrammer for sale used in the past, but it only had
three letters, none of which were my initials. The ones shown on ebay
are newer and have all 26 letters.

Does anyone know if Singer actually made a monogrammer for a short
shank straight needle machine like my Janome? Or letter cams that fit
the Buttonholer? Knowing if it exists or not would be helpful as a
first step. If it doesn't I'm wasting my time, but if it does I can
keep hunting.

Tom Farrell
http://www.sewingwithtom.com/
Old August 19th 04, 03:44 AM
Taria

You might try posting a note to the Featherweight Fanatic digest.
Ask if they are made and if anyone has one to sell.
The only monogrammer I have ever seen is for the slant shank
machines. Like this:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer/mono.html
I had a Kenmore made in the mid 70's that had a nice monogrammer. I
see those around more than the Singer ones.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
If you put 'Singer monogrammer' into Ebay favorite list they will just
e-mail you if any matches show up.
TAria

Old August 19th 04, 04:14 PM
Marilyn

Tom Farrell wrote:

[...]

Hello, Tom!
I remember you from when you posted a long time ago. Good to hear
from you again. Yes, I am pretty sure there is a Monogrammer that will
work on your machine from what I have read on the Singer Yahoo group.
If you have the time to go over there and post your question, they are a
friendly group that will give you all sorts of expert advice on how to
fix or use a vintage Singer or Singer parts, like the monogrammer. There
are very knowledgable folks who can even give you the part number on the
correct monogrammer. The group is just Singer in the Yahoo groups. Of
course, they may try to get you to rescue a slant shank machine from the
thrift store instead. Their influence is pernicious. I picked up a
Singer 66 Red Eye that I probably won't have gotten if they hadn't
infected me with old Singer fever. ;-)

Marilyn

Old August 21st 04, 05:19 AM
Tom Farrell

Marilyn wrote:

I remember you from when you posted a long time ago. Good to hear
from you again.

Thanks!

Yes, I am pretty sure there is a Monogrammer that will
work on your machine from what I have read on the Singer Yahoo group.

Oh, that's good to know. I'll keep looking. Meanwhile I'm trying to
acquire a Kenmore monogrammer, although from pictures I'm not sure how
the heck it attaches at all. Oh well, if I hate it or it's useless to
me I can always put it on ebay.

If you have the time to go over there and post your question, they are a
friendly group that will give you all sorts of expert advice on how to
fix or use a vintage Singer or Singer parts, like the monogrammer.

Hmm, okay.

Of course, they may try to get you to rescue a slant shank machine from the
thrift store instead.

Good luck, I really don't want a slant machine, or in fact any old
machine. I don't want to have to deal with maintenance on it. If I
still had my grandmother's old Pfaff I'd keep that, but otherwise, not
my thing.

Their influence is pernicious. I picked up a
Singer 66 Red Eye that I probably won't have gotten if they hadn't
infected me with old Singer fever. ;-)

I have little nostalgia for old Singer machines. A friend of mine
recently was given one that turns out to be the exact same model I
learned to sew on 20 years ago. (The machine came with its original
sales receipt... it's a year older than I am.) I had forgotten what a
pain in the neck it is to sew, and how slow it is, and how few
features it has. Give me a new machine any day. I'm hoping next
year I'll be able to afford to upgrade to a computerized embroidery
machine. We'll see. But, if I can get a nice mechanical monogrammer as
well, that'd be nice.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com
Old August 30th 04, 02:15 PM
Marilyn

Tom Farrell wrote:

Marilyn wrote:

snip

If you have the time to go over there and post your question, they are a
friendly group that will give you all sorts of expert advice on how to
fix or use a vintage Singer or Singer parts, like the monogrammer.

Hmm, okay.

Tom,
Some of the Singer experts have spoken up so it may be that I'm all
wrong about the monogrammer. I'm a neophyte with the older machines. I
have my mother's vintage 1940s Singer which I am restoring to good
shape. I learned to sew on it and I'm hoping to teach my daughters
using it. Advantage that it goes slowly and is not one of my Vikings.

Of course, they may try to get you to rescue a slant shank machine from the
thrift store instead.

Good luck, I really don't want a slant machine, or in fact any old
machine. I don't want to have to deal with maintenance on it. If I
still had my grandmother's old Pfaff I'd keep that, but otherwise, not
my thing.

I understand. I like the fact that the old machines were nearly
indestructible. My mother's old machine does an absolutely beautiful
straight stitch. Then again, it _only_ does a straight stitch.

Their influence is pernicious. I picked up a
Singer 66 Red Eye that I probably won't have gotten if they hadn't
infected me with old Singer fever. ;-)

I have little nostalgia for old Singer machines. A friend of mine
recently was given one that turns out to be the exact same model I
learned to sew on 20 years ago. (The machine came with its original
sales receipt... it's a year older than I am.) I had forgotten what a
pain in the neck it is to sew, and how slow it is, and how few
features it has. Give me a new machine any day. I'm hoping next
year I'll be able to afford to upgrade to a computerized embroidery
machine. We'll see. But, if I can get a nice mechanical monogrammer as
well, that'd be nice.

I too love my modern machines. I bought a Viking about 10 years ago.
It hasn't balked at any of the projects I have asked of it and
sometimes they were a bit challenging. I had literally wrestled with an
older machine for several years before that and finally gave up sewing.
The machine had to be readjusted mechanically after sewing each
garment. We took it to the shop several times and then my husband just
started realigning it himself. It was old and a bit worn. My new
sewing machine was such a dream to sew with that I became much more
interested in sewing again. So much so, I bought one of the older
Viking 1+ sewing/embroidery machines about a year ago. I love it. It
isn't the latest and greatest embroidery machine but the possibilities
with it are amazing. I hope you will be able to get an embroidery
machine too next year. They are fun! If you have time to read a bit of
alt.sewing.mach-embroider, they have good advice over there.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com

Now that I have three machines running, I find that I often use all
three on one project. Serging for major seams. The embroidery machine
for embellishment and the Viking 500 for standard sewing. What happens
when the Singers are up and running, I don't know.
I'm glad to see you posting here again. I'll keep an eye out for
your video project to appear.
Marilyn

Old August 30th 04, 09:00 PM
Tom Farrell

Marilyn wrote:

I hope you will be able to get an embroidery
machine too next year. They are fun! If you have time to read a bit of
alt.sewing.mach-embroider, they have good advice over there.

Thanks, but I actually co-wrote the FAQ on how to select and purchase
a sewing machine, so I think I'll be okay.

I'm also very fortunate that I have an excellent sewing machine dealer
whose agenda is to sell me a machine that will make me happy so that
next time I want a machine (or accessories or whatever) I'll come
back. So, unlike most sewing customers, I don't have to worry that my
dealer will try to push me into a machine that will make the dealer a
big profit instead of a machine that will do what I want the way I
want it to.

I'm glad to see you posting here again.

Thanks. It's nice to see that the groups have calmed down a lot and
that rec.crafts.textiles.sewing is neither obliterated by spam nor
filled by a perpetual discussion of "what sewing machine should I
buy?" any more.

I'll keep an eye out for your video project to appear.

I'll post about it when it's done. It'll probably be a few months at
least. I'm scripting it fairly extensively so I can shoot precisely
what I need, and then I'll need some time to edit everything together
in the computer since I'm doing nonlinear shooting and combining shots
from multiple locations. However, that means I'm not even halfway
through scripting the first draft, and then I need to go back and
revise the text to add humor. It's important to me that the video have
a sense of fun so people will come away really wanting to sew.

In the video I plan to, among other things, go to a sewing machine
store to show how to shop for a sewing machine, go to the fabric store
to show how to shop for fabric and patterns, and to show the work
being done on a variety of different kinds of machines so it's not
obvious which machine is mine. (I don't want people to run out and buy
a machine like mine just because I have it.) All of that will increase
my editing time. As for other content, I'll be showing how to cut out
and use a pattern, how to use rotary cutting equipment to cut out your
fabric, how to make finished seams, and the complete assembly process
of at least two projects.

I've also planned a series of future videos which will cover more
advanced techniques and projects, to help someone who already sews
take their sewing to a new level.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old August 31st 04, 03:17 PM

Singer Monogrammer

(Tom=A0Farrell)
snip
It's nice to see that the groups have calmed down a lot and that
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing is neither obliterated by spam nor filled by
a perpetual discussion of "what sewing machine should I buy?" any more.
---
Guess you've jumped the gun on this one, Tom. Christmas is coming...
(I hear the faint echo of the theme from 'Jaws' already, my hearing
being rather acute.)
---
snip
...I'm not even halfway through scripting the first draft, and then I
need to go back and revise the text to add humor. It's important to me
that the video have a sense of fun so people will come away really
wanting to sew.
---
Ahh, glad to hear this! Much as I like Nancy, et al, I cannot sit
through any of the sewing/quilting shows. They're well-done, but too
serious, which makes them snoozers.

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Tom Farrell
=A0=A0=A0http://www.SewingWithTom.com/