Xmas ornament pattern

Old July 6th 03, 03:38 AM
Laurie

Default Xmas ornament pattern

That fringe is too die for...I love fringe.

The Use of Foul Language in Written Communication: The Tiny Rumblings of the
Ineffectual and Stunted Thinker. The Inability to Think Beyond The Obivious and
The Crude. ~~~Henry A. Byrne
Old July 6th 03, 04:21 PM
Kari

That is a beautiful ornament!!!

--
Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,

"Nita, White Raven Designs" wrote in message
This is my first attempt at writing out a pattern, so please do let me

know
if there is any parts that are incomplete or confusing and I'm assuming

you
have a some bead working experience.
Links to photo's
http://www.users.bigpond.com/juanita...urplexmas2.jpg

http://www.users.bigpond.com/juanita...purplexmas.jpg

Ok, even though I make loads of these I don't have a set pattern and tend

make each one up as I go along and yes I do un-pick lots!

You will need. Glass or plastic ball decoration, lots of seed beads, bugle
beads and fancy beads for embellishment, Fine beading needle and bead
thread,
An egg cup with a bit of blue tack dotted around the top helps as a stand
for the ball while you are working on it.
( I add thread as needed by knotting it together, dabbing with glue and
hiding it inside a bugle bead )

The first step is to cover the ball with a beaded netting.
Start by stringing enough beads to fit snugly around the top of the Xmas
ball at the hanging bit.
Leaving several inches as a tail, and go through all the beads again to

make
a complete circle, Knot the thread and the Tail and dab with a tiny dot of
glue or clear nail polish.
I work out the spacing of the points by dividing the number of beads by

the
number of "points" needed, usually an odd number, 13 or 15 works well.
(For example 62 beads around the loop divide by 13 = 5, so your points are
spaced by 5 beads)
Please note, this is an example only, not the number of beads you should
have.

Row 1, Start making points by threading on 9 seed beads. I like to start
with 4 colored seed beads, 1 metallic, 4 colors.
Count over the number of beads on the loop, calculated by your division
worked out above, take the thread through the 5th (or whatever number you
calculated) bead from the Starting point. Repeat until you have gone all

the
way around.

Row 2, pass the thread through the first 5 beads on the point,( Step

down )
exiting through the central metallic bead. Thread a metallic seed, bugle,

3
seed beads (metallic, colour, metallic) bugle bead, seed bead and go

through
the 5th bead on your next point, continue this pattern until you get back

your starting point,
Row 3, "Step down" through the first seed, bugle and two seeds, so your
thread is exiting through the central seed bead and continue to thread the
seed bead and bugle pattern as above.

Continue to repeat the pattern above until the ball is almost covered, on
mine it took 6 rows, don't panic if it seems to be loose, it will tighten
around the ball when you close in the bottom.

NOW's a good time to polish off any fingerprints on the ball.
You should have netting of diamond shapes.
Start decreasing so the beadwork pulls down and tightens around the ball,
Pass the thread through the first group of seed, bugle, seeds, as above,
thread on 4 colored seeds, 1 metallic, 4 colors, go through the central
colored bead and repeat all the way round,
(This is the bit where I do lots of unpicking until it sits flat)
The next row has fewer beads, 3 colours, 1 metallic, 3 colours and now you
should be able to pull the bead work tight around the ball with just a

small
circle bare around the bottom.
You can knot off the thread if you want to but I run it up inside the

beads
to start the embellishment.

Find the central band of diamonds, and exit the thread out though the

center
colored bead at a join. (There should be clusters of seed beads at the
corners of the diamond shapes, a colored seed bead surrounded by metallic)
Thread on your chosen beads, in mine is 1 metallic seed, 3-mm faux pearl,
6-mm Czech fire polished, pearl, seed, in through the next central colored
seed bead and repeat all the way round.

Take the thread inside the beads up to the top of the diamond, exit the
colored central bead and thread on more chosen embellishment, mine is, 1
metallic seed, 2 colored seed, 1 metallic, 5-mm satina Czech tube, 1
metallic, 2 colored, 1 metallic,
Go through the central seed bead in the cluster below, working either left
to right or vice versa, whichever way is most comfortable for you but you
must continue in the same way.. Repeat the embellishment pattern,
Take the thread up through the netting (you could get tricky here and
"backstitch" a daisy spacer and seed bead) and then down to the next point
and repeat the embellishment pattern (working in a zig zag pattern all the
way around)
When that's all done run the thread down to the bottom and start on the
tassel,
Thread on a pattern of seed beads, bugles and Czech beads that sort of

echo'
s the embellishment. Make it at least as long as the ball. I sit mine
upside down in the eggcup and thread beads on until the strand reaches all
the way up the side to the top of the ball. Skip 1 bead or make a tiny

loop
at the bottom and run the thread all the way back up to the bottom of the
ball.
Go through a bead or two on the bottom circle and repeat until the tassel

is
complete.
I finish off by zig zaging the thread through the netting beads and making
several tiny knots to securely end off the thread.
Add a hanging loop to the top and you should be all done!

Nita!

--
Warmest Regards,
Nita,