OT, Storm at Sea and long

Old November 16th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Default OT, Storm at Sea and long

So, where to even begin. I've been so busy, and have not really wanted to
write about things yet.

I've been back from Michigan and Dad's funeral since Oct 24. Just finally
catching my breath from everything. Grades were due two days later for
conferences the following week on the 30th and 31. To say the least, I had
a huge pile of papers from being gone 7 days so there were a couple of late
nights grading. My students were so quiet and concerned and helpful and
understanding while I got back on track. I was beginning to question if
they really were teenagers.

On top of all of this, I had also signed an extended contract to write
curriculum for three new classes at the Career/Tech center that opens next
year. That is due today for review before I have to present the week after
Thanksgiving. I just emailed it off for pre-review. I really just need
some time this weekend to read and sew. I think it will be so.

Anyways, everything went as well as could be expected as far as your Dad
dying and all of that. Hindsight is always 20/20 and so many things had
happened over the past couple of months that were good. Bert and I had
dinner with my folks in August before flying back north and I got a big
going away hug from Dad, rather than the usual handshake. The family also
had a reunion the week after Labor Day, Mom and Dad had only been back about
two weeks from visiting my sister and BIL in TN and had had dinner with my
other Sister and BIL and Niece and Nephew and cut their hair the day before
he left, and I had called to talk to him that day as well. The best part,
and a bit sad, is that he had just gotten an elk and unbelievably had gotten
cell phone reception in the mountains in Colorado and called Mom to describe
to her where he was, (she had been there before, too), that he had gotten
one and so on. They talked for about a half hour and had a really good
conversation. About three hours later he was gone. How wonderful that they
talked. His poor hunting buddy had to leave dad on the mountain overnight
to go get help. He is still having a really hard time.

What is so frustrating is that he was in such good health. Not overweight,
great blood pressure, good sugar, and low cholesterol. He was the
healthiest of all his siblings, and the youngest. Go figure.

In spite of all the tears, we really had some good laughs. Sitting on the
floor and going through pictures was good therapy and people commented on
all the good pictures we displayed. There were also so many stories and
laughs and more laughs. Being a barber, Dad knew most everyone in the
community and there were always jokes and stories. Over 100 people came to
the visitation and 215 to the service. What a testament and we felt so good
about that. Our family has been known for giving a good event, whether a
meal between services on music Sunday at church, my sisters weddings, and
now a funeral. We are still getting comments that it was really different
but so good. The hymns were favorites of Dad's that were uplifting, not the
old dirges, we choose other than the usual scripture, and the minister
relayed lots of our stories about Dad and we had people outright laughing
during the service. That was okay though, because every picture we found of
Dad, he was smiling.

Both of my parents were/are planners and organizers, so while Mom has to now
deal with being a widow, there is very little to worry about in getting the
finances and other things in order. Everything was all set up. They had
just revised several things this summer and were just intent on enjoying
retirement.

So, now I am sorting through memories and wearing a new coat that Dad had
just gotten for his Birthday and had never worn. It is helping me to feel
close. What else can I do? It will just take time.

You're probably wondering how this is going to be on topic. Well, I have
not been back there in the fall since I had built this shed, so now I have a
picture of it. http://home.gci.net/~rainbowmoose/flowers.html It is the
shed that Mom wanted that I built for me.

Mom and Dad got me this book of Fabric Balls by Jinny Beyer this summer for
my Birthday. I hadn't even shared the picture with them yet, but now it is
posted here. http://home.gci.net/~rainbowmoose/this_and_that.html They are
quick and easy and so much fun. Easy take-along projects.

Lastly, and most sad, is the picture of the Storm-at-Sea quilt that I asked
Dad to take a picture of for me the last time we talked. Well, obviously I
took it myself. You'll have to scroll to the bottom to see it.
http://home.gci.net/~rainbowmoose/tr..._patterns.html

While I was not the son that my Dad expected to have, we had come around to
understanding each other and truly enjoyed each others company. I'll miss
being the carpenters assistant and picking his brain of a wealth of
knowledge. No more woodworking gifts or pictures that he thinks would make
a good quilt. Heavy sigh.

Tonight, hug those you love and don't sweat the small stuff. Life is too
short.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Steve
Alaska

Old November 16th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I am so glad you had so many good memories to comfort you.
Your dad sounds like a wonderful man.

My own dad has been gone for nearly 30 years now, and I find
I am thinking of him more and more - how he would be amused
by this, or would laughingly disapprove of something else.
We had almost nothing in common in our day-to-day lives but
he is the benchmark against which I now measure so much that
is truly important to me.

You're right. Life is too short. Enjoy every minute you
are blessed with, and when you lose a loved one (and we all
do) treasure those memories you have. For as long as you
remember them they are not truly gone.

(((HUGS))) Steve

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:

Old November 16th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

This is a wonderful piece of writing, Steve.
It seems to mark a real step in your recovery from the shock and
sadness. I do hope your Mother will get on all right - passing all the
'first times' in the first year after a loved one's death is *so* hard.
My mother-in-law is almost at the end of her first year without my DH's
Dad. His death was sudden too, so I understand a little.
..

In message , steve
writes

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 16th 06, 09:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

Steve your dad was proud of you, of that I'm sure and he loved you no matter
what your differences may have been, or his expectations. Every parent has
expectations, dreams really, for their children and while they may not chase
the same dreams, we love them just the same.

Take care

http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes awhile to load)
quicker)

Old November 16th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

What a wonderful moving post Steve. I will be thinking of you as you adjust
your life.
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old November 16th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

steve wrote:
Lots of lovely stuff...

Steve, it sounds like your dad had a really good send-off after
departing this life in the middle of something he enjoyed. What could
be better? He'd certainly come to terms with what you are, rather than
what he originally wanted you to be, from the sound of things, and the
two of you were at peace with each other, and happy. This is good.

Enjoy those memories: treasure the moments you shared. The sewing will
be great: it'll occupy you in a creative way while leaving enough mind
free to re-run your favourite bits of him. I still do this, and my dad
has been gone since I was 25. It keeps him close.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 16th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Steve:
Good to see you back in RCTQ. You write
with such compassion and kindness. I am
sure your parents were/are proud and
delighted to have you as their son.

Thanks for posting that Storm at Sea
quilt. It was one I'd 'nagged' you to
add to the site. I am impressed with the
results, especially for novice quilters.

Good luck with your contracts, etc.
PAT in VA/USA

Old November 16th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

It's good to see you again, Steve. Once again, I'm so sorry for your
loss -- it sounds like you're handling things pretty well, though, and
that's good. Your wonderful memories of your father, and the fact that
you last parted on such good terms, are a treasure.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old November 17th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

Good having you back Steve and you can ramble anytime. Sounds like you're
keeping (extremely) busy and maybe that's a good thing, but do take time for
yourself. Take care
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.