Carl-Pearl-Copper Sheet

Old April 3rd 04, 05:09 PM
Raane

Default Carl-Pearl-Copper Sheet

Hi Carl,

I've been meaning to get back and assuage your curiosity about
attaching the pearls to the earrings. Unfortunately, I became overly
curious about setting up my 'puter for "web sharing" as yours is. My
computer, although a Mac, is not a friendly creature and hates being
asked to do anything unfamiliar - actually it hates being asked to
process Xs & 0s, similarly to a human hating to breathe. I've been
told on the QT by the local Mac repair place that I actually managed
to acquire on of the few lemon Macs around. In any case, it died
(with a graphic design deadline this Sunday) and is at the
aforementioned Mac spa.

Anyway, I melted up a very small ball on the end of some copper wire
and annealed the heck out of it. I threaded the wire through a tiny
hole in the sheet, from back to front (one of the reasons I couldn't
do the reverse was that I couldn't get in to make the rivet around the
earring post - and could not solder the posts on afterward without
endangering the pearl). I had to increase the size of the pearl
channel, so made the opening very slightly larger at the front.I then
threaded the pearl on the wire, and using some strong round-nosed
pliers, just kept squeezing the wire around the bead opening, until it
flared out a smidge. I trimmed it right up at the hole, then
carefully sanded it down to flush - being mindful of the pearl. It's
ok, but I am not 100% happy with the appearance, so, I will be making
more and trying other things.

Now just need to decide if I should ask my computer, really politely,
to try websharing again when it gets home - so I can show you. Maybe
it will return refreshed and ready for new challenges - or not!

Take care!

Ranne
Old April 4th 04, 08:00 AM
Carl West

Raane wrote:
... melted up a very small ball ... threaded the wire through a tiny
hole in the sheet, from back to front ... strong round-nosed
pliers, just kept squeezing the wire around the bead opening, until it
flared out a smidge. I trimmed it right up at the hole, then
carefully sanded it down to flush - being mindful of the pearl. It's
ok, but I am not 100% happy with the appearance, so, I will be making
more and trying other things.

Hmm...
put the ball on the front, run the wire through to the back, fold it over with
a tool, curl it around with needlenose pliers, tighten up a little with
flat-tip pliers and put a dab of epoxy on it. Won't go anywhere. Might not be
too much of a lump.
http://h00050207be9f.ne.client2.attb...ireinepoxy.gif

OR

Use half drilled pearls.
Flatten your wire a little and twist it.
ball the end as before, go back-to front and cement the pearl on the wire
and maybe the wire to the earring.
http://h00050207be9f.ne.client2.attb.../twistpost.gif
I'm not a big fan of adhesives, but _lots_ of pearls are held on by cement.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.

A sort of OT question on copper Karen_AZ Beads 6 July 6th 04 12:00 AM
Connecting a Pearl Bead to copper sheet Raane Jewelry 7 April 1st 04 10:04 AM
Mixed media - copper and stained glass - need various petina's Lori Hurt Glass 19 March 26th 04 05:42 AM
Sparex pickle Don Robinson Jewelry 9 February 18th 04 02:49 AM
Pearls and Copper Valerie Beads 4 August 5th 03 02:05 AM