OK - I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not OT - stupid Baby LockQuest Minus

Old November 20th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OK - I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not OT - stupid Baby LockQuest Minus

I didn't mean you literally meant the same exact machine. Should
have a serial number that may be on your original receipt or paperwork.
Something is bad here beyond the sewing machine. I really am sorry.
This stinks.
A BRother 1500 or the Juki TL98 are both great larger
harp machines that quilt well. Lots of gals here have those and they
serve real well. Since they are ss only they should be easy to
service.
Taria

Musicmaker wrote:
I wish I could, Taria. The nearest dealer, who has been very helpful
in working as a mediator between me and BL, had never even seen a
quest until I brought mine in. There is an example of one of the few
disadvantages to living in rural midwest. I'm returning it, and
editing the letter as Polly has suggested. I believe that this is the
same machine. 3 reasons.
1st - it's doing exactly the same thing as the other one
2nd- I kept one of the screwdrivers that came with the original quest
cause it was so short and useful. The new machine came missing the
short screwdriver.
3rd, - the manuals are the same as came with the original.

I know a little bit about how appliances are replaced - the
replacement comes off the shelf, complete with all the extras that go
with it - they don't unpack the new one, trade the manuals, remove a
screwdriver, repack it and send it out.

I believe they only tuned up the original, slapped some pretty new
stickers on it that say plus, and gave it back to me.

Musicmaker

Old November 20th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Oh, Musicmaker. I had such hopes for you to be sewing up a storm before
Christmas.
I sure hope the President KNOWS we all are watching the outcome.

Butterfly (I feel like they pricked our proverbial balloon on this)

Old November 20th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

To any quest owners - I'd be willing to pay the shipping both ways to
have someone else evaluate my machine. Since it is POSSIBLE that I'm
doing something wrong - I NEED TO KNOW. Are there ANY quest owners
(who have no troubles with their quest) who'd be willing to give my
quest plus a real work out, free motion quilting on a bed quilt?

Musicmaker, delaying the tantrum
Old November 20th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

ps - I really appreciate the way you all jump on my side with such
sympathy, assuming that I know what I'm doing and it must be the
machine's fault. I'd like to believe that that's the case, but this
morning I'm acknowledging that there is a likelihood that I'm to
blame.

Musicmaker
Old November 20th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

It's not a matter of blame here. IF IF IF it is you and not the machine,
it is not a matter of blame, it is a matter of style. Maybe this machine
does not suit your style.

BUT - no matter what is going on - there is nothing for you take blame for.
Period.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old November 20th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
Musicmaker wrote:

I swear that the Baby Lock Quest Plus that they sent me "in exchange"
for that lemon Quest I had IS THE SAME
MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As long as I was piecing, or free
motioning on a thin wall quilt, which were the first 2 projects I
tackled, it seemed to work fine, though I did notice that the needle
threader caught and shredded the thread in THE SAME WAY THE OLD ONE
DID. Today I tried to free motion a larger, hug sized quilt and GUESS
WHAT?!?!?!? The stupid thing started skipping and the top thread
started breaking - Never more than a few minutes of quilting before
bamm - broken thread. changed threads. changed needles, changed
speeds. changed top tension. changed bottom tension. sometimes it
quilted for 5 minutes before the thread broke or skipped. I'm done.
with baby lock. I'm returning the machine. I'm demanding a refund.
Don't want to ever have anything to do with baby lock again. I refuse
to believe that I, of all the people in the world, CANNOT MACHINE
QUILT - having had lessons, classes, talked to the BL educator etc etc
etc. I'm not even disappointed - I'm just angry. Good thing I save
the letter for the President.

Musicmaker. period. end of discussion.

Oh, Musicmaker -- how awful for you! I'm so sorry you've had such a
terrible time with what should have been a wonderful new tool.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old November 20th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Aaack! What a disappointment! You are right to be angry. You've bent
over backwards to make this work, and now it'S time to look at another
brand!
Roberta in D

Old November 20th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Send the gators after BL Polly! That'll teach them!

Pauline
Northern California

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I just can hardly BELIEVE it! This goes way past organizing a pity party.
I think we ought to launch into a full-fledged rage! How dare they send
you a machine that was just as sorry as the first one? How dare they?
If the machine had been bought for $5 at a yard sale - that would be
one thing but as high as Babylock is priced ...this is just incredible.
It's been a while since we put your letter to the president together;
we'll need to edit it to demand a full refund. Their head on a platter
may be optional. Polly

Old November 20th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Lizzy - thanks for that suggestion - I checked - and the serial number
is different
so my theory is incorrect - either the quest is not compatible with me
- or they need to go into the lemonade business.

how about gently scratching the machine in a a few places - just normal
wear and tear scratches, my 10 months old machine certainly has a few.
Take photos and write them all down. You could also try and put a tiny
blob of nail varnish somewhere hidden too. I think they really should
give you a refund, but let's face it replacement is way more likely, so
I'd do these things send the letter than demands a return, but be
prepared that they may not do that and at least you'll have back up to
determine if it's the same machine or not.

I've been so lucky with my similar problems, you're right about how they
replace just the machine part but as I did it via the shop I bought
from, I took the machine in only once they had the machine to replace it
with and had both of them within sight during the exchange - they also
gave me a 50 dollar gift card for the store, I'm going to be sticking
with this dealership!

Cheers
Anne
Old November 20th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
It's not a matter of blame here. IF IF IF it is you and not the machine,
it is not a matter of blame, it is a matter of style. Maybe this machine
does not suit your style.

I think she managed to get some time on one in a shop whilst these
problems were going on? Maybe I misremembered - I have a lot of sympathy
as it's the exact same problem I had with my Brother QC1000, skips
stitches, makes a funny noise, then something suddenly shreds the top
thread, but it was definitely the machine, as I'm a happy owner of the
replacement and have done plenty of quilting and embroidery with
different weight threads.

Good Luck, Musicmaker.

Cheers
Anne