A Favor of you Please

Old August 18th 03, 03:39 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Diana Curtis
writes
Most of you dont know but Mel surprised my new grandson with a
most beautiful totally hand done GFG quilt. It was amazing! Mel, may I post
a picture of it?

I'd like that. Especially if it's a picture of the baby snuggling in it.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old August 18th 03, 03:39 PM
CNYstitcher

Yep, just like my sewing and cross-stitch.....With those, I started with
only wanting to do one project, but enjoyed it so much that I just kept
going. Of course, I alsodo the odd thing of putting puzzles toether,
gluing them, and frmaing them as "artwork" LOL......Actually, DH thinks
it is pretty cool, and it *does* cost a lot less than real art, and it
gives me something to do during my restless periods (DS, age 3, is
pretty good at helping me sort pieces).

I picked up my State Fair reject this morning, and found a quilt that I
have set my sights on.....it is lovely beyond words, looks like the
basis is a whole cloth quilt, with added applique of flowers and such on
it....When I first saw it, I just stopped and stared...sigh

Larisa

Diana Curtis wrote:

It started out innocently enough for you didnt it? And now..
bwuwahahahahaha... sucked you in deep didnt it! lol
Im glad you set your goals high. Why not. There doesnt seem much point
unless youre willing to try to do better than yourself.
Diana, thanking you for hte diversion

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 18th 03, 03:47 PM
Diana Curtis

Very sad tale indeed. It moved me to tears to know you had gotten to meet so
many nice RCTQers and to make quilts, and the part about the teddy bears
bringing you to quilting touched me in ways only another teddy bear lover
could be touched. :-) Thank you so much for sharing your tale. Im glad for
the time you can find to spend here with us.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"shhdesigns" wrote in message
. ca...
Oh Diana, here is my sad tale to share.
I came to quilt making via needlework and teddy bear making. I move to

New
Westminster in 1988. I'd made Teddies for some time and needlework since
the 70's. A friend told me of the shop in Burnaby and by entering a teddy
bear snow angel ornament in their Christmas ornament challenge I got to

know
the shop.
They were primarily quilting and needlework/cross-stitch.
I got to know the owner and long story short, started to go the Wednesday
night drop in. Then progressed to teaching teddy classes and then on to
quilting.
Well the Cross-stitch and Teddies are on the sideline more now and

Quilting
is more my main interest.
My friend Deni in Burnaby introduced me to the ng about 1998 when my

brother
built me my first computer. We'd met at a retreat from that infamous shop
in Burnaby. Well she e-mailed Sairey, and I met her before the group and

so
the tale ends.
I love meeting folks in my travels, as you can attest from my visit to
Houston last year. I've been fortunate to meet a few of our friends from
Britain at Donna Dean in Bellevue's, had Phyllis [BBL] sleep over at my
place. Met some of our Canadian friends, go to San Diego and also

Houston.
I've slept at Sairey's hostel, and met Florence in Tucson and her husband
Ren. I almost met up with Dragonfly [Pam] in Albuquerque except her phone
answering machine was acting up.
I hope to meet even more of our great RTCQ friends and be a part of the
group for many years to come.
Another traveloque will be due shortly, as I'm due vacation at the end of
the month, not sure where I'm going, but will share with all on my return.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

yo
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 18th 03, 03:50 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you. With these great stories to read its going better now. :-)
Thank you too for sharing your story. Its amazing to me the many ways people
have come here and why.. ok.. its one reason really, with infinite
variations.
Im glad youre here.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"K. Reece" wrote in message
The bored part of recovering is the hardest. I hope it goes fast for you.

I found RCTQ when I had a webtv. I was just searching thru the list of
groups on "discuss" and ran across this one. That was back in late 98 or
early 99. I don't always have time to read or post but I try to check in

on
a regular basis. At that time I was trying to finish my first quilt. I

had
started it in 1979 and it needed quilted. I hand quilted it and it's
hanging over the back of my couch right now. When I finished that quilt

the
quilting bug really took hold and I've made several quilts since then.

I've
even managed to win a grand champion ribbon at the county fair two years

in
a row now. (a quilted pillow and a tree skirt) The problem with that is

you
have to come up with something bigger and better every year!

Kathy in Ks.

Old August 18th 03, 03:54 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you Bev,
That is so beautiful that you got to learn this wonderful craft at the side
of such loving women. I love the story of the quilt you made for your
parents and how you presented it to them. How ever did you manage to do that
without bursting out laughing??
Thanks again
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"grbev" wrote in message
Hi there,

I joined this group about three months ago and enjoy it very much. I have
been quilting for a long time. My grandmother taught me to hand quilt a

few
months before I married my husband in 1964. My mother had made me a

pieced
pinwheel quilt top for a wedding present and she and my grandmother, Dad,
and I did all the quilting on it. My grandmother was a little Danish

woman
who did beautiful handwork and insisted that I make my stitches very tiny
and even. She would say, "It's good, but not quite good enough." So I
would pick it out and start over. But it did teach me to be a very good
quilter. After my husband and I got out of the Navy and moved to Salt

Lake
City and my three daughters were born, my neighbor (then 30 years older

than
me) got me interested in attending quilting bees with her and I loved to

go.
Because my grandmother had taught me well and I was a fast quilter, I was
invited to many bees because the ladies liked my work. I have made so

many
quilts over the years. I love to draw and design my own patterns. My
favorite quilt is a tricot one because it quilts up so easily and feels so
good to wrap up in. My family loves to get my quilts.

One of my most fond memories of quilt making took place in 1972. My

parents
were about to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. I made a quilt of
appliqued blocks honoring their life together. I drew all the blocks and
painted and appliqued them and set them all together. The quilt turned

out
so well, that I entered it in the large Salt Lake County fair and was
thrilled to win a blue ribbon. I talked my parents into going to the fair
(they had no idea that I had made this special quilt for them). As we
approached the glass case where the quilt was hanging, I could hardly
contain myself. My mother said to my dad, "Look, Honey, here's somebody

who
lived in the same place we did." As they stood and looked at the quilt,

she
said, "They lived in the same house we did.... Oh, it's us!" I will

never
forget how fun that was to surprise them like that. They have passed away
now and I have that quilt that they cherished for so many years (it still
has the blue ribbon pinned on it) and it is tucked away in my mother's

cedar
chest.

In the last 5 years I have devoted much of my life to making quilts for

the
LDS Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake City. I have made over 400 tied

quilts
(these are 9 1/2 inch blocks sewed together and tied with yarn) to be
distributed around the world to those who are in need. I also have

devoted
at least one day a week to work at the Center where I sew together quilt
tops and bottoms that are distributed to volunteers who add batting and

tie
quilts for the Center to distribute. I love doing this work and have

gotten
great satisfaction out of using what I have learned over the years to help
others.

I have been taking a class on learning the Jodi Barrows' method of A

Square
Within A Square. It is a fun concept and is very challenging for me. I
hope to do a lot of pieced quilts in the future. I have not learned to
machine quilt (mostly because I can't afford the expensive machines to do
it) but my great love is hand quilting. I get such joy out of stitching

and
creating a "warm hug" for someone. I am so grateful to my grandmother and
dear friend Carma who taught me to quilt and encouraged me along the way.
What joy and satisfaction it has brought to my life (and in turn, to

others
who share in the fruits of my labors).

From Utah,

Bev Forsling

Old August 18th 03, 04:03 PM
Diana Curtis

I have indeed Mel! Id love a website of our tales and pics.. and
quilts..favorite recipes. It would seem to be a huge undertaking tho...a
book would be interesting too!
Thank you for sharing your story as well. I think you got the last laugh on
your sister! Most of you dont know but Mel surprised my new grandson with a
most beautiful totally hand done GFG quilt. It was amazing! Mel, may I post
a picture of it?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Mel Rimmer" wrote in message
What a great idea, Diana! I hope you've enjoyed all the stories posted
so far as much as I have. It gave me an idea - we could write a book. Do
you think other quilters would be interested in reading this kind of
stuff, or is it just interesting to me because I know all these lovely
people and I like to get a clearer mental picture of who they all are
and what is their background? Maybe a book with some of these stories in
one chapter with photos of some of the people and their first quilts,
another chapter about squishies and hugs, with pictures of some of the
hug quilts if we can, another chapter about quilts we have made with
interesting stories and maybe recipes for how to make some of the
quilts. Anything else? What should be in a book about this group and our
quilts that would be interesting for other quilters to read?

Before anyone panics - I haven't started writing this, it's just an
idea! If it ever happens (and it may not - most of my wonderful plans
never see the light of day) I would never mention anyone's name or
handle or anything about them unless I had obtained clear permission
from them directly.

So here's my story - My mother taught me English Paper Piecing when I
was a child, and I still have some patchwork items she made using that
method. I never knew there was another way to make patchwork until a
couple of years ago. I couldn't sit still in the evenings because I was
hyper after chasing my three young kids around all day. I developed a
terrible "The Sims" habit, which wasn't exactly productive! I wanted a
hobby that I could do whilst sitting next to my DH in the evening with
the TV on. I considered knitting and crochet, but I settled on quilting
instead. I bought a couple of books from my local craft shop and told my
sister "I have a new hobby, quilting" She asked me "Great - what are you
making" and I had to say "Oh nothing, I've just bought a couple of
books". She laughed at me so much I went straight back out and bought
all the fabric and notions for my first quilt (which still isn't quite
finished, BTW - just waiting for a pieced border I got sick of doing
half way through).

I found this group because one of the first things I did when I took up
quilting was to search for a usenet group about it. I have been using
the internet since before the world-wide-web was invented, and Usenet
has been my home for a long time. But I have never come across a group
quite like this one. In particular, the constant flow of squishies,
block swaps, "hugs", round robins, BOMs and all the rest of it means I
have come into contact with many members in a much more direct way than
is usual for a newsgroup.

I now have more UFOs than I have finished quilts. I don't think I've
ever used the same technique twice, so even after a couple of years I
always feel like a rank beginner. I have so many ideas for quilts I
would like to make, I wish I could just quilt all day long. Instead I
have to chase after my small family all day long and quilt in the
evenings, however exhausted I feel. Like Merry, I love the whole hippy,
barefoot, self-sufficiency, pioneer thing about quilting. It makes me
feel connected with women all over the world and all the way through
time to be engaging in the same craft as them. As well as that, I just
love quilts. I love looking at beautiful quilts, even if I have no plan
to make a similar one myself. I think quilts are beautiful and
fascinating and looking at them feeds my soul in exactly the same way as
a great painting or sculpture or symphony. And the final thing I get out
of quilting is sisterhood with all my lovely friends I have made through
this list.
--
Mel Rimmer

Old August 18th 03, 04:07 PM
Diana Curtis

Well said!
I hope you find your ventures into new quilting worlds fun and exciting.
Remember, it is all just fabric! :-)
Thank you for sharing!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Helen Hansen-Pye" wrote in message
in a nutshell most newsgroups
are incredibly boring. Just alot of little minds who are sure that what
they have to say is of some importance......EXCEPT RCTQ. I know I dont

post
often, but I always read! I just love the newsgroup.

Old August 18th 03, 04:08 PM
Diana Curtis

Not a bad thing at all! Friends are priceless and its so lovely to hear of
yours and Roses. Im glad RCTQ could bring you even closer together.
Hugs,
Diana

--
"georg" wrote in message
Diana Curtis wrote:
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol

I go through phases of what interests me mosts, and my usenet posting
history has reflected this. It boils down also to how much time I have
to spend on the computer- the more I have, the more groups I get
hyperactive on.

This past year, I've been more fascinated by quilting. So I came here in
January after finishing a wall hanging for my mom. Sadly, I haven't had
the actual time or funds to work on my quilting like I would like to. So
I come here to talk about quilts, and plot my next projects. And all of
you ladies and gentlemen are quite generous and supportive. There are
only a few instances of flared tempers, but I can dodge those arguments
all right. And I've seen more beautiful fabrics and quilts since coming
here than before. So I'm enjoying my visit here. I'm guessing I'll
actually be posting less when I have the time and money to quilt.

I mostly peek in during the day as a short study break, and then return
to my homework.

But the quilting is something that has deepened my friendship with Rose,
and that's certainly not a bad thing. =)

-georg

Old August 18th 03, 04:16 PM
Diana Curtis

That is a wonderful bonus to RCTQ, that chance to meet wonderful people who
might ordinarily never cross your path. That is a wonderful thing, as well
as what these people can help add to your quilting scope. Just think if we
only quilted with people who made tradional quilts and ONLY that. How
limited we would be. Here, we get folks creating anything and everything and
sharing the fun they have, lighting fires of desire under others, spreading
the madness! lol
thank you Pat for using your tender wrist to tell your tale. :-)
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Hi Diana!
First, please e-mail me. My mail has bounced. Thanks.

Now to answer your questions ... I must be brief so as not to
aggravate the Tendonitis in wrist. (BTW: It is NOT Carpal Tunnel
... Thank Heavens! ... but still needs some consideration.)

PART ONE, RCTQ:

I came to RCTQ because DH was tooling around and came across it
and enrolled me. I read a few times but didn't realize *I* could
answer, so forgot about it. I had NO idea about newsgroups,
lists, and so on. I probably never even introduced myself, as the
whole www subculture was a foreign place to me!! Came across RCTQ
again and someone mentioned answering, so I tried it and the rest
is history!! (I haven't shut up since LOL!!) That was in early to
mid 1999 ... I got into the Millennium Swap and collected my
2000+ squares. Haven't made the quilt yet though. I stayed around
because it is fun, entertaining, educational, and friendly.
Sometimes I get into swaps or do squishies. I've enjoyed
getting/giving advice on quilting techniques. Several have
mentioned these things already, but I don't think anyone has
mentioned the opportunity to 'meet' people with TOTALLY different
lifestyles, as well as people who may have similar families but
live in far continents. This place affords opportunities never
even dreamed by my fore parents! Oh, not only has it been fun to
visit on line, and in the real mail, but I've even met quite a
few of you at quilt shows and other activities. Yep, I like it
here.

Will talk about actual quilting next time. Gotta put this hand
through the Physical Therapy exercises now.

Take care of yourself too! PAT in VA/USA

Old August 18th 03, 04:28 PM
Diana Curtis

There is Always enough stash to bother thinking about a raid.
I can hardly wait to see where you go next with this craft. Your sense of
colors is wonderful. Ill help J come over and we can finish your UFOs. How
does that sound?
Thanks for coming out of the shadows to help keep me amused and sane!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"cas" wrote in message

(snipped lots)
"Jalynne" wrote in message
ink.net...
If i could do nothing but quilt, I'd be happy. Piecing is a real pain

for
me,
because I like to rush to get through making the top so I can quilt

it...LOL. But
i'm getting much better. I'm also learning to appreciate hand applique,

ok, and
machine applique, too. I've made it a goal to challenge myself to learn

couple of
new techniques every year. That goal has been put to the side for a

little while,
but next summer, I'll be ready to jump in again with both feet and quilt

my fingers
off. I love the fact that there is so much to learn, and that beautiful

things can
happen with little bits of fabric sewn with love, whether by hand or

machine.
--
Jalynne

how about you move here like i suggested n buy out the neighbours from

hell
and i'll do the piecing and you do the quilting and we'll both be happy ?

my start here was through accidently finding the needlework ng about 4

years
ago (when i was about to dump the net account through boredom) when i
searched on cross stitch. after lurking and sometimes posting there i read
some posts about the quilting ng (pre quilting days for me) and checked it
out. found this group much had a much friendlier feel and decided to hang
around and then discovered there was more to patchwork than grandmothers
flower garden and double wedding ring patterns that i'd tried and hated
about 15 years earlier and started experimenting and got thoroughly

hooked.
haven't finished a lot of quilts yet but i am getting a good stash of

ufo's
plus when i cleaned the sewing room i discovered i had more stash than i
thought (not enough for anyone to raid though so don't get any ideas). my
hand sewing (and machine sewing to a lesser extent) has improved heaps

since
starting - i mainly hand piece and quilt because i can't sit at the

machine
long enough to do much. now i just need to FINISH some quilts so i can go

on
to more fun ones like the family tree quilts i'm planning for me and my

sis
(plus the denim ones to keep the brothers quiet) and kaleidoscopes (a bed
and a wallhanging one). i eventually want to be able to make some art

quilts
that people will want to display (along with the ones that are MEANT to be
used and abused and enjoyed til they fall apart).

cas