A Favor of you Please

Old August 20th 03, 04:52 PM
DeB Shaw

WAIT!!!
Come back, Butterfly. I'm enjoying all these stories too ... but ... but ...
ummmmmm .... I'd sure like to see yours too. grins

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern*Lights*
(maybe I missed it, or missed lots of them???)

-----

We can make YOU the HERO!
http://www.ProjectRescuers.com

-----

"Butterfly" wrote in message
.. .
Before ANY of you RCTQ'ers get any ideas--it was NOT in
MY Mr Friddggie......altho he does have a couple of pieces of fabric
on his front-- courtesy of a coupla RCTQ'ers vbg
Butterfly (I am SOooooooo pleased that HoBo NOW likes Green..WHEW..she
might let me visit with her again : )

HoBo wrote:
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
. ..
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up, thank you muchly! But the days linger long

sometimes. I havent energy to do much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the

power to entertain and amuse me if you

feel like it, and I hope you do... Would you please tell me how you came

post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your

quilting future. Maybe everyone else will get some

pleasure in reading these .. then I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored
-- http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Hi Diana!

Here's my short story of how it all began per your request :^)

I started quilting in 1989 after getting a quilting catalog in the mail.
Got my curiosity so I ordered a quilt kit. Not feeling all that sure in
selecting fabrics much less a pattern it was easy to let someone else

pick
out the fabrics for the design I liked. I'm self taught since where we

used
to live it took an hour to get to town and all the guilds met in the
evenings. Night driving is not my cup o' tea. But I discovered all the

fun
books, patterns & gadgets that all work together. Since then I've made
probably at least a dozen quilts. I've learned to enjoy working with
triangles, green fabric & will master applique if it kills me g

I found r.c.t.q. way back in 1994 (!). DH (then boyfriend) had just
purchased a computer & he had run across the newsgroups so he subscribed

me
to rctq. I lurked for awhile, then hopped in (after The Great Flame War

was
over g)- and have participated in the goings on like block/fq/siggy

swaps
& HUGs (first one was Ruth's HUG) and have been in on many HUG's

thereafter.
And maybe even an instigator of at least one or two. :-)

I've stayed because of the friendships of those I've met & those that I
haven't met personally, even when they have sent me green fabric ;^)

the
swaps, silliness & fun that the group has offered over the years. I

have
laughed & cried with you all. If you ever get a chance to meet an

rctq'er,
do it! It is even more fun when you gather in groups! You'll discover

all
sorts of things, like there ARE quilt police.... they just reside in

Burbank
g (I'll have to get that picture posted one of these days) Or that

fabric
CAN be stored in the refrigerator, isn't that right Butterfly??!

If I can only find more 'spare' time (and a cooler sewing room) I can do
more quilting & other crafty things that I like to do. Along with

getting
back onto the ng. Back to my little corner of lurkdom.....for now g

Hope
you are feeling better soon!

(((gentle hugs)))
HoBo

Old August 20th 03, 05:04 PM
Butterfly

she's better folks, she's better
yayayayayyayayaayyyyyy
butterfly //already missin my 1's...no capitals used....oh, what we
don't do for friends//

Diana Curtis wrote:

That is a terrific idea! Hmmmm.. I could very easily create a small stuffed
doggy for her. Guilt is a wonderful weapon. Bwuahahahahahahaha
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"cas" wrote in message

just remember that anything you make that even slightly resembles that

story

is going to Wendy as a constant reminder of her guilt (just so you don't
send me something that makes me think of dog puke).

cas

Old August 20th 03, 05:08 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mind Boggling? To say the least. I just love to casually say in a
conversation: 'oh, I got that piece from my friend in Australia'
..... 'hey, here is a great stamp from England' ...... that sort
of thing.
This is a fun thread. I really enjoyed reading Judy's 'Early Net
History.' Now I can say 'my friend the internet pioneer.' LOL
PAT

Diana Curtis wrote:

This is so interesting. I had no idea how or when the net really started....
To think, without the net this rather wonderful congregation couldnt exist,
and none of us might know one another... its mind boggling.
Thank you for sharing your very interesting story Judy!

Old August 20th 03, 05:09 PM
Pati Cook

G The books are available, the series is being re-issued in collected
volumes: books 1 and 2 are out as "Wiz Biz", 3 and 4 as "Wiz Biz 2".
Don't really remember coloring books, but then my folks were both teachers.
Lots of books at home.

Pati,in Phx

Diana Curtis wrote:

I shall have to go find his works. They sound right up my alley!
Drawing outside the lines is more fun. Im going to guess your parents didnt
buy you coloring books?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
No, I am married to a different SciFi/Fantasy writer............ Rick

Cook. He
does have books out. A series dealing with magic and computers and full

of
puns. And my favorite of his is "Mall Purchase Night" , the heroine of

which is
the owner of a shop called "Bell, Book and....... Candle shop".

A real giggle.

I never have been able to keep inside the lines, always want to draw new

ones
G.

Pati, in Phx

Diana Curtis wrote:

Ahhh the BOM. Im just hoping I can come up with something that appeals

to a
wide range of tastes and abilitys!
Id like to hear more about your punster husband! You arent married to

Piers
Anthony are you?
Thank you for sharing your quilting story too. I happen to like people

who
arent afraid of coloring outside of the lines. :-)
Diana, healing well!!!

Old August 20th 03, 05:41 PM
Butterfly

mine..tis only 46 years long..but not today
it will come, soon

DeB Shaw wrote:
WAIT!!!
Come back, Butterfly. I'm enjoying all these stories too ... but ... but ...
ummmmmm .... I'd sure like to see yours too. grins

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern*Lights*
(maybe I missed it, or missed lots of them???)

-----

We can make YOU the HERO!
http://www.ProjectRescuers.com

-----

.. .

HoBo wrote:

t...

Old August 20th 03, 09:45 PM
Diana Curtis

I'm sure Kate could be persuaded to let you have a few ! and capitals
back...
No one should have to live !less for long, its just to much..
You may have mine.. wait... um.... I know! Use nzl*s .. she doesnt use them
at all!
There.. simple!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
.. .

DeB Shaw wrote:
WAIT!!!
Come back, Butterfly. I'm enjoying all these stories too ... but ... but

ummmmmm .... I'd sure like to see yours too. grins

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern*Lights*
(maybe I missed it, or missed lots of them???)

-----

We can make YOU the HERO!
http://www.ProjectRescuers.com

-----

.. .

Old August 20th 03, 09:50 PM
Diana Curtis

Im so glad you posted this. I was looking on Amazon.com for your DHs works
and that is what I found, Wiz Biz... etc.. and now I know what Im looking at
I can put it on my wish list! Yay!
Thank you
Diana

Old August 20th 03, 09:53 PM
Diana Curtis

Im glad you added your story to this thread.
And Im so glad you found your way here to rctq!
Good luck on your chemo!
hugs,
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Ann Adamson" wrote in message
I haven't been spending too much time online in the past few days -
getting psyched up for my 2nd chemo. So I've missed this long, but
interesting I'm sure, thread. Not sure If I'll ever be able to wade
through the whole thing, though I've "browsed" some of the answers here
and there.

I began quilting in early 2001. May I think. I hadn't sewn much since
my home ec class in middle school, and before that just a bit with my
mom. But I always loved crafting of almost any kind.

Anyway, my dad had passed away in 2000 and I had gotten the idea of
making some memory quilts in his honor to give to my siblings
(incidentally, to date, I'm the only sibling that doesn't have one --
yet). I saw something like that in a catalog and loved the idea of it.
I just love the soft and tactile aspect of the fabrics mixed with the
warm memories from treasured photos.

Anyway, I was talking about it with a friend, and she mentioned that she
had started quilting with another friend in the past months and they
were taking some classes at a LQS. She asked if I would like to take a
class, but I couldn't commit to an evening class because of our schedule
with kids baseball and scouts and etc. And the daytime classes were out
of the question anyway because we both work. But I asked her tons of
questions and went with her to the LQS and bought a book or two and
ordered some fabric and a new sewing machine online and plunged right
in. And I haven't had a break ever since. I like to make small quilted
projects as gifts, and thus I mostly like to stick with simple patterns.
Someday I hope to make a project just for me, and I would really like
to tackle a Lone Star and also make a queen bed-size Irish Chain. But,
those are "stretch goals" for me. Mostly I like to make memory quilts,
WH's, baby quilts, doll quilts, snuggle/lap quilts. And my new favorite
short project - tote bags!

I found rctq because my friend had been lurking for a while, and was
always talking about hints and stuff she found here. I subscribed and
lurked just a bit before jumping right in! I really enjoyed that this
was such a warm and welcoming place. And I got a LOT of help. So, even
when the group seems to go through a "quilting lull" (where there seems
to be more OT posts and rants going than talking about quilting) I stick
it out and wait for someone to post a quilting question or tip, or even
better - pictures of projects -- my VERY FAVORITE reason to stick around
in rctq! They are so inspiriational!

Whew!

Ann

Diana Curtis wrote:
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

Old August 21st 03, 04:25 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
(some copy&pasting may be necessary; beg pardon!
this looks right on my screen g)
Must be the longest THREAD on a subject Ever! ;-D

My family's always been "in cotton." From my grandparents
on Mom's side who were cotton dusters, gloves and tack cloths,
http://www.theragcompany.com/
to my dad's people, industrial mops and floor rugs.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c200/c226r.jpg
We evolved into at least 5 generations of quilters in my family,
I've been quilting since I was a kid, a mere moplet;
here's a typical home scene:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c192r.jpg
Our family song: *warning: music plays*
http://louiseward20.tripod.com/ragmop/ragmop.html
R I say R-A R-A-G R-A-G-G
R-A-G-G M-O-P-P: Rag Mop
So quilting was kind of in my fiber, you see;
I've always handcrafted & quilted:
http://home.att.net/~ellison-texas/w...ome.html-.html
Thru' some very vigorous shaking, I ended up here at RCTQ.
It definitely was not because my husband, RagMan;
I introduced him to newsgroups and talking on-line .
(What was I thinking?!)
Good ol' RCTQ-- friendly faces and friendly fire,
good ideas on and off topic, why go anywhere else?!
What made me stay?
Wellllll, this Quilting Party that Sarah threw made a big impression:
"The door is always open and everyone is welcome" at Sarah's;
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008820+X-8820
"Come one, come all, she said; we're gonna' have a Quilting Party;
I don't care how you get here; just get here!"
Here's Joan, tucked in and waving goodbye:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10062917+X-62917
LN and Kris and Pat traveled together, picking up Susan & Marcella,
and a few others along the way:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00170155+P-155
Linda and the Gang wanted to bring their own stuff:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c140r.jpg
Some of the party-goers took a little side trip on the way:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c189r.jpg
We had Nurses on call:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10012150+X-12150
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10011879+X-11879
Sarah's planning committee met us when we arrived:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c102r.jpg
and she reminded us that she has a Stash Guard:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c109r.jpg
But I wasn't skeert:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022137+X-22137
We got a tour of the premises to inspire us:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10013332+X-13332
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10017869+X-17869
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10031433+X-31433
There was space set aside for smokers:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c130r.jpg
as well as other amenities:
http://www.moore-warner.com/coups/coup012.gif
Men and children went out to pick cotton for the batting:
http://www.kountrylife.com/content/vin70.htm
Polly gave a demonstration of how to prepare fthe cotton
for batting, carding w/ deftness and speed:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c2300...0/8c23936r.jpg
while the rest of us stayed around to wash the new fabric.
Sarah & Wendy heated up the water:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c195r.jpg
(that's Sarah's favorite punch stick);
Ruth showed us the most efficient way to rinse the fabric:
http://runyon.lib.utexas.edu/r/RUN02...0/RUN02392.JPG
Entering the house w/ our clean fabric thru' the kitchen door
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008941+X-8941
we divided into several small groups and began our quilting;
some of us chose to work outside:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37156r.jpg
Here's LN preparing a frame:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37150r.jpg
while others worked inside, full of joy and merriment
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3000...0/8b30393r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c1700...0/8c17428r.jpg
We quilted.
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3d02058r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3500...0/8b35946r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3c18916r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120179+L-179
For tips and lessons, Nann took charge of the quilting books:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008315+X-8315
Lori and Teresa volunteered to help Merry
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10009859+X-9859
with a visit to Vickie in the summer parlor:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022290+X-22290
Mid-morning break saw us taking a little exercise out-of-doors:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105177+NS-177
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105183+NS-183
but soon it was back to the quilting:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/det/4a2000...0/4a21210r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3700...0/8b37107r.jpg
http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co...s/vict-bea.jpg
At last it was time for lunch, very much a serve-yourself buffet:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c188r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00073973+MCC-3973
during which Roberta Z favored us w/ a little Eatin' Music:
http://memory.loc.gov/afc/afccc/p000/p051r.jpg
And then back to the quilting:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10000297+X-297
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c000/c079r.jpg
One of the most exciting parts of the day,
when Sarah's boyfriend from the LQS showed up:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c186r.jpg
We all indulged, esp. Sarah. *snicker*
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105331+NS-331
Someone just couldn't keep up:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00187158+Rh-2158
Indulged & inspired, spirits revived after our afternoon respite.
Kathy called for her "boys, aka Kathy's Kut-ups:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105793+NS-793
& not to be outdone, we were soon visited by Donna's Dudes:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105732+NS-732
even Donna had to kick up her heels over this bunch:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105587+NS-587
Mim
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185348+Rh-348
was soon surrounded by admirers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185229+Rh-229
The neighbors
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10032152+X-32152
thought things were getting a bit rowdy & called in
some peace keepers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185700+Rh-700
We stopped for tea:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00074312+MCC-4312
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10007596+X-7596
and other refreshments:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120470+L-470
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186821+Rh-1821
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/colle...ges/7062-8.jpg
Show&tell at the close of day brought many delightful sharings;
from one of the smaller groups who had been quilting/piecing
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10030176+X-30176
Suzie showed off this quilt:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25287r.jpg
Taria had a Finished Quilt (& lovely booties)
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2700...0/8b27060r.jpg
Hanging outdoors with pride:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c3500...0/8c35738r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21515r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185282+Rh-282
(oh, those Kut-ups!)
Some of the day's results were *not* destined to be ribbon-winners
(perhaps too much exposure to Donna's Dudes):
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21356r.jpg
On to supper and more fun and games:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25473r.jpg
when Butterfly took the dance floor w/ her troup...group:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186180+Rh-1180
Alas, the day ended, the shindig came to a close,
and we departed in high good spirits
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10006414+X-6414
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00171777+P-1777
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10002412+X-2412
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00125039+K-39

And that's some history to entertain you, Diana!
As to the futu more of the same, please!
Raggmopp/Sandy
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4775/

Old August 21st 03, 06:32 AM
Nell Reynolds

Sandy, what is the address of the French-speaking group? I used to teach
French, but that was 10 years ago, and languages are definitely in the
category of Use it or lose it.

Nell in Austin

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
ally wrote:

In article , Diana Curtis
writes
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy

to do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you

stay, and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Hmm I joined when I first got my own computer and got online (until then
I had been looking at a few ngs on a friends computer at his home once a
week). That musta been in '97 but I have a real bad memory so it could
have been a year either side.

I joined this ng cos I liked quilting. I stay because its like home -
warm and comfy and full of people who I love, even though we all get
made at each other sometimes. I have made some of my best friends here
and done things I would never have done otherwise.

Hope you're feeling better real soon.
:-)

I also got online in 1997 and immediately started searching for quilters
-- important since I was then living in an area far from any other
quilters. g This group was so friendly and welcoming that I've stayed
and stayed -- I'm still not tired of it!

I've met several people from the group in person, some when they came to
the Las Vegas area in the past four years and some at the Tucson and
Houston quilt shows. I've quit reading other quilting groups (email
groups), except for one French-speaking group so I can stay in practice;
but this one is an addiction!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster