De-lurking properly.

Old July 14th 03, 02:27 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default De-lurking properly.

Claire, welcome to the best newsgroup on the net.
Loved your intro, very informative, and who cares if you supposedly
'rambled'????
Hugs,
Noreen

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)
=A0
=A0
http://www.myegroups.com
Group Code:
3258C1
Picot Page
=A0
Group Code:
32B6E6
Needles, Hooks, Shuttles and Bobbins
=A0

Old July 14th 03, 06:28 PM
Katherine

Hi, Claire,
What is a Harry Potter jumper?
Katherine
Old July 15th 03, 03:01 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:08:56 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

nobody's going to mind if I give it a little pruning, to feed my silk
worms, especially where it sticks out into the bike path. Well that's my
rationale if anyone stops and says anything to me. I still feel like a
mulberry pirate, though. It's growing in full sun, unlike the ones in my
yard which are shaded by oaks, but the silk worms don't seem to mind.

I would have done the same thing, or rather I have done the same thing.
At the corner of my neighbours house, right in the road allowance grew a
large clump of Tansy. I dug some up before they came and cleared it.

My sister gave me some tansy in a large pot, which I only half sunk into
the ground and still have a devil of a time keeping it from spreading!

There are also lots of black berries growing in the ditch and on the road
allowance, but sadley the new owner of the house loves to clean up and
tansy and black berries are gone. I have several large clumps of tansy
growing on our lot now. Good dye plant but also a great flower palnt,
love the aroma as well. Righ where our recycle bins sit in Mill Bay,
there is a patch of wild bleeding hearts happely growing among all kind of
rubbish. I have dug a bit of it up as well and have the plants growing in
my garden. LOL

I love volunteer plants, but this is the furthest I've gone in raiding.
Other years I just asked permission to prune the mulberry behind the yarn
shop. Alas, the shop moved, but maybe the book store that expanded into it
won't mind if I supplement my own trees by pruning theirs again. I have a
little prickly pear in a pot, from a careful cutting I took in front of the
Mexican restaurant the last time we ate there right before they closed. Now
that they've moved down by the university we never get there. Feels like a
living piece of history. Now if I could just find some cochineal for it...

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old July 15th 03, 05:18 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
wrote:

snip snip

Now if I could just find some cochineal for it...

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

That is what dreams are made of, some wishful thinking.....(big smile) i
have to look, I think I have a wee little bag of cochineal sitting
around. First I have to get a new campstove, our old one was not usable
anymore.

I do have lots and lots of Fernambuk or Red wood or Brazil wood. It is a
fantastic dye. Reds purples pinks etc. It is an old one as well.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old July 15th 03, 07:50 PM
CMM PDX2

Els wrote:

I would have done the same thing, or rather I have done
the same thing. At the corner of my neighbours house, right
in the road allowance grew a large clump of Tansy. I dug
some up before they came and cleared it. There are also lots
of black berries growing in the ditch and on the road
allowance, but sadley the new owner of the house loves to
clean up and tansy and black berries are gone. I have
several large clumps of tansy growing on our lot now.
Good dye plant but also a great flower palnt, love the
aroma as well.

LOL Els...the dyer side of me is nodding approvingly re the tansy, and the
livestock side is making horrified little squeaking noises. bg Down here in
Oregon, there's been an active campaign going on for decades to get rid of as
much tansy as possible, because it's poisonous to grazing livestock. (it builds
up in their systems, and eventually kills them. if I remember right - not
guaranteeing this bit - they also get a taste for it, and keep wanting to eat
it.) Anyway, I can remember when living in the country on our 'hobby' farm -
all 10 acres of it, with 25 acres up the road - we would frantically grub up
any sprig of tansy that showed! With horses, cattle, and donkeys, we had *far*
too many animals that could be hurt by it.

But I *know* it's a really good dye-plant, and gives a nice yellow. I always
just read about it though. Mom and I never tried it when we were interested in
natural dyeing, because we'd been rooting it out of the pastures so well by
then, we never could find any!

Now, blackberries...those are Oregon's answer to kudzu. vbg The Highway Dept.
sprays 'em, but the blackberries don't care. They merrily take over again in
half a season or so. That's one berry most people with sense don't buy at a
store, because you can pick 'em all over the place. There are scads of good
places right in Portland where you can get gallons of blackberries in about
half an hour. Dad used to drag us out picking every summer so he could make
wine. ('out picking' being going to a spot about 10 minutes by car from home,
down by the railroad cut. g big trip, that.) Me, I preferred Mom's blackberry
cobbler and jam!

Monica - thinking about boysenberries and loganberries and strawberries and
umpteen other berries...man, I have *got* to grab my stepdaughter with her car
this summer, and go pickin'! I want cobbler, for some odd reason...

---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
ShipSupport Mailing List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShipSupport/
Old July 15th 03, 07:52 PM
CMM PDX2

*sigh* Not reading to the end of threads, again...

Helen, re that prickly pear - isn't the fruit also supposed to give a pretty
good dye? Pink, if I remember right...vaguely...from someplace-or-other...g

Monica

---------
Old July 16th 03, 12:32 AM
Claire

Dear Katherine

In the first Harry Potter book, Ron's mother (Mrs Weasley) knits each of her
children a jumper and does one for Harry too. They are in different colours
(I believe Harry's is darkish red, will have to check that) with a large H
on the front. The other children have their own initial on theirs. In the
film the jumpers (which were knitted in Rowan Yarn who have the pattern and
kits for sale) were plain round neck jumpers with the initials on the front.
My son has really enjoyed the book so I thought that I would knit him one -
just a plain round necked jumper (I already have a pattern for that) with a
large P on it. I just have to work out how to make a pattern for the letter.
It doesn't matter if it isn't perfect. Mrs Weasley's knitting did not look
very professional - very home made jumpers. As long as I get the letter half
way up the front of the jumper and in the middle I'll be happy. Have to
finish the baby knitting I'm doing first though. She now has three teeth and
is frantically chewing on everything- including my balls of wool.

Claire

"Katherine" wrote in message
om...
Hi, Claire,
What is a Harry Potter jumper?
Katherine

Introduction - lurking not spying Rob Ridley Quilting 21 October 4th 04 06:16 PM
I"ve been lurking.. now I have a question... Sheri Shanks Beads 54 May 3rd 04 07:42 PM
Alright, one more b4 back to lurking. ~K-K~ Quilting 7 March 2nd 04 01:11 PM
Lurking FLORIDA ANGEL Quilting 12 October 13th 03 09:44 PM
How to properly dress & set knots Jeff Buoy Knots 4 September 12th 03 07:00 PM