World quilt help

Old May 22nd 04, 01:09 AM
Kathy Applebaum

At least to hear the Texans tell it... ;-P

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Monique Reed" wrote in message
Yeah, but they're BIGGEST in Texas, of course!

Monique

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

Thirty years ago, Grandma sent me a postcard of one from Utah. Seems

they're
all over the west.
;-)

Old May 22nd 04, 09:41 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:37:38 +0300, Johanna Koski
wrote:

It could have been worse. If I had misspelled it *leberhosen* the poor gents
would have been going around in liver trousers!
Diana

Boy, that makes Russian look easy. Things are spelled the way they
are pronounced, more or less. There are no silent letters. There are
two different kinds of "l" sound though, so you have to listen
carefully to hear the soft l or the hard l.

But isn't there a lot of different "s" in Russian? IIRC... Germany
isn't that hard afterall. It reminds lots of English, if you think
it carefully. Just have to remember that there's not that many
"f"'s in words, they are repaced with "v". And "v" is replaced
with "w" Let's take really good example of this: "vater".
This looks like a Finn writing a water. We don't use much "w", so
it could be correct. Well, vater in Germany means father in English.
You pronounce "v" as f and "w" as v
But Finnish, that's an odd language. Norway, Sweden and Denmark
uses really samekind of language, they manage to understand each
other pretty well. But when a Finn comes along, that's another story.
Finnish is mostly "read like you write" But all the oddities...

But good luck with language exams to everyone

Hugs,
Johanna

I have received some elementary education in the differences -
Zhenia (Jennifer) who sits directly across from me in class, did her
Master's on Sweden, Finnish and I think Russian communities near the
border to Finland, and how these peoples viewed the enlargement of the
European Union. (If I remember correctly). She was a bit caught out,
because she was given an extension to finish her master's while we
were doing this Russian course, and then 10 countries joined the E.U.
on May 1st. So she had to revise it at the last minute. That's the
thing with extensions, you get more time, but you are required to keep
up to date, so... bit of a mixed blessing.
Anyway, she speaks rudimentary Swedish and Finnish, and I'm sure her
Russian is much better than either of those languages now. She's been
to both Sweden and Finland (she is from Northern Ireland herself) and
from the tales she tells, I think she prefers Finnish culture. She
says they are very friendly people, and I know she wants to go back.
Recently, she forwarded me an email about teaching English in Finland,
so maybe that is what she is going to do after the course finishes.
The first thing she's going to do after exams, however, is to go on
holiday with a friend of hers, and the Greek man from class - Stavros
(Stanislav in class)! Some folks get all the luck...

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
Dr. Quilter

aren't finnish/estonian or letonian and basque unrelated to all other
european languages?

Johanna Koski wrote:

But Finnish, that's an odd language. Norway, Sweden and Denmark
uses really samekind of language, they manage to understand each
other pretty well. But when a Finn comes along, that's another story.
Finnish is mostly "read like you write" But all the oddities...

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)
Old May 22nd 04, 06:12 PM
Pati Cook

Saguaro cacti only live in the Sonoran Desert, Southern (mostly, up to just north of Phoenix) Arizona and
northern Sonora, Mexico. Can't even grow them elsewhere. Scientists have tried, even importing soil,
keeping the plants in climate controlled rooms with desert air and keeping the "rain" to when it actually
rains in the area the plants were removed from. They die. No one knows why. Saguaro are a protected
plant. You can't even move one on your own property with out a permit. The only people who can harvest the
fruit on "public" lands are Native Americans.
The fruit is wonderful. My folks worked out on the reservation on summer and we got to taste saguaro fruit.
Mmmmmmm. sort of a cross between strawberries, and raspberries and a bit of watermelon, and so
sweet.........

Pati, in Phx.

Cathy Tyler wrote:

What a wonderful idea for a quilt! Hope we can see a photo when its
done! Driving across the USofA with my sister in April of 2003,
southern route, I was struck by the redbud which prevailed almost til
Oklahoma, then scrubby mesas and dessert, with a brief respite around
Sedona in Arizona, until we hit southern California. I think of the
Saugaro catus for desert, although they were mostly isolated in a
preserve in a small part of Arizona. Palm trees for the left coast.
Dogwood for Virginia! And the yellow swallowtail butterfly!

Cathy from foggy Richmond

" Ellison" wrote in message m...
Howdy!
"thought"?
"thought it was real"?
well, DUH!!!!

Ragmop/Sandy--muttering "like it's not?"
---too sleepy to quilt

"the black rose" wrote in message
Ellison wrote:
Howdy!
Jackalopes.

Har. I was 7 the first time I saw a jackalope. It was so well done, I
thought it was real. My brother got a lot of mileage out of that.

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old May 22nd 04, 08:32 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:26:27 -0700, "Dr. Quilter"
wrote:

aren't finnish/estonian or letonian and basque unrelated to all other
european languages?

They are not Indo-European languages. From my Oxford dictionary:

Finnish - the Finno-Ugric language spoken by the Finns

Finnish is spoken by about 4.6 million people in Finland (where it is
one of two official languages), and is also spoken in parts of Russia
and Sweden. Closely related to Estonian and distantly related to
Hungarian, it is noted for its morphological complexity: a Finnish
noun can have thirteen different case-forms.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
the black rose

Johanna Gibson wrote:
it {Finnish} is noted for its morphological complexity: a Finnish
noun can have thirteen different case-forms.

Good lord. And I thought Russian was interesting with 6 cases, each
having a singular and plural form.

Old May 23rd 04, 10:49 AM
Johanna Koski

Anyway, she speaks rudimentary Swedish and Finnish, and I'm sure her
Russian is much better than either of those languages now. She's been
to both Sweden and Finland (she is from Northern Ireland herself) and
from the tales she tells, I think she prefers Finnish culture. She
says they are very friendly people, and I know she wants to go back.
Recently, she forwarded me an email about teaching English in Finland,
so maybe that is what she is going to do after the course finishes.

Many says that Finns are more friendly than Swedish. I tend to think
the same way, ofcourse I think here's always room for another
English teacher

And yes, Finnish is Finno-Ugric language, it's from other side of
the Ural. There is/was a group of people called "Mari". They speak
related language to Finnish. And here's about 5 million now
Estonian is much like Finnis, but it has taken lots of words from
Russian and English. Biggest difference in Estonian is that it's
"trimmed". Lots of words are shortened from Finnish.. I don't know
if it's time saver or what. My mom started learning Estonian just
few weeks ago. Her teacher said that Estonian is a "modern" language
with all the trimmings... Like numbers, six is in Finnish "kuusi" and
in Estonian it's "kuus".

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe
Old May 23rd 04, 08:35 PM
ME-Judy

Geez, when I used to live in central Oregon umpteen years ago, they were a
viable breed there too.
ME-Judy (who has yet to see one in the Northeast -- not many antelopes
either, mostly moose. uhhhhhhh maybe a possibility of a jackamoose?)

" Ellison" wrote in message
news
Howdy!
But of course; they made themselves quite at home
and are sometimes presumed to be a native breed:
http://www.jmccomb.com/misc/jackalope.htm

Old May 24th 04, 02:23 AM
Shona in NZ

Coaties!!! Thank you for reminding me about them. I had Coatie encounters
when I went to Iguassu Falls a few years back. Such mischievous little
critters who obviously new what people are and that people=food.

I am not too worried about things being recognised by the masses. In fact I
would like to include some of the lesser know creatures of the world. :-)
Thanks so much for your ideas.

Shona in NZ

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
Uruguay does not have much native fauna left to speak of.... you could
use a cow, I guess.

What do we have? Carpinchos,

(http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu....com/Brazil%25
20web/JPG%25202/Carpincho.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ultimate-trailride.com/Al
bum%2520Brazil.htm&h=489&w=583&sz=54&tbnid=ExVALI7 y8FgJ:&tbnh=110&tbnw=131&s
tart=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcarpincho%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUT F-8%26sa%3DG)
,
pumas, Ñandú (http://www.damisela.com/zoo/ave/rati...andu/index.htm),
cute miniature deer called guazubira
(http://www.kidlink.org/spanish/wai/v...-guazubira.jpg),
anteaters, coaties (http://www.waltersworld.net/mammals/coati.html) and
our national flower is the Ceibo
(http://www.r-mgallery.com/artists/lu...tti/big/28.jpg) - that
would make a nice aplique, though I am not sure it would be recognized
by many!

Shona in NZ wrote:

Hello all,

I have an idea and thought I might get some ideas from your collective
wisdom.

I have a friend who just loves world maps. He will sit for hours

looking at
the one hanging on his wall. So I thought it would be fitting to make

him a
world quilt of sorts. He REALLY likes my NZ critter quilt so I would

like
to do something similar.

My idea is to get a world map panel and surround it with blocks of

appliqué
critters/plants from around the world; things that are representative of

the
different countries. For example Australia=kangaroo/koala/eucalyptus,
NZ=Kiwi/Silver fern, USA=Golden Eagle/Pine trees (west coast anyway!).

What critters (mammal, bird, insect, fish, amphibian, etc) and plants
represent which countries for you???