OT for Lia and other spellers

Old October 16th 05, 08:34 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Default OT for Lia and other spellers

When asked one time if not having an accent at all was, in reality, a
form of accent, Marilyn vonSant (Sunday Parade columnist) said
pronouncing words as they are in the dictionary is having no accent, and
midwesterners were closer to having no accent than those in other parts
of the country.

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Linda:
I don't hear any difference either. BUT, I must take you to task on "NY
accents and the way words should be pronounced." What makes OTHER
people's words better than NY words?? Sure, there are some OBVIOUS boo
boos (like saying ax for ask, which is NOT a NY issue) but by an large,
the emphasis on certain vowels is a regional thing, and IMO should not
be cause for censure. I learned would to speak in Queens and Nassau, but
never never never never said/say the hard G in Long Island!! (BTW, That
is would be found in some ethnic groups more than others.) MSM was a
stickler for careful pronunciation and grammar. We always said/say:
LON(g) EYE-lynnd. Interesting thread though. I hope the spell check
doesn't go nuts here!

PAT, now in Virginia (Vir-gin-YAH, not Virg-in-EE-a!!)

WitchyStitcher wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't see the difference. May be because I am from
Lawn Guyland.

I teach a developmental reading class and when doing phonics
instruction, I often have to demonstatrate the difference between our
NY accents and the ways words should be pronounced. I have them do it
- it makes them laugh - it helps them remember.

By the way, how to you spell "OPOSTA"? Used in a sentence, "I am
oposta take the bus home from school." - this from a 10 year old.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:54:40 -0400, Phyllis Nilsson
wrote:

One that drives me nuts is pronouncing tour as "tore" instead of "toor".

Old October 16th 05, 08:37 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Tour - toor (sounds like tew er with the two syllables squished together).

Tour - tore (sounds like, "He tore his new shirt."

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Those two sound the same to me. I can't make them into two different
sounds. If we ever meet, I will avoid the word tour altogether!! We will
go on a viewing of LQS, not a tour of LQS, okay?
PAT in VA/USA

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

One that drives me nuts is pronouncing tour as "tore" instead of "toor".

Sharon Harper wrote:

what about pasgetti instead of spaghetti? Or aks instead of ask?
But what
about the plain old fashioned forgetting to say please and thank you????
Drives me nuts. mmm-hmmm, it does.

Old October 16th 05, 08:38 PM
Sally Swindells

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:30:06 GMT, "Debi Matlack"
wrote:

I guess it depends on what part of Florida you live in. Not only do we 'fix'
a meal here (even if it isn't broken!), we have breakfast dinner and supper
(though 'lunch' has crept its way into most vocabularies), we mash buttons,
and people have young'uns. I love regional dialects...

Trying to work out the 'mash buttons'! I mash potatoes, and sew on or
press buttons. What would I do if I mashed buttons (Broken smashed up
buttons?)
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 16th 05, 10:30 PM
nzlstar*

oh oh, ok, i got it now....yat and sup.
must try that one on my kids, see if it registers in their heads, lol.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Julia Altshuler" wrote...
I think I was watching "Do You Speak American?" http://www.pbs.org/speak/

Since I didn't catch the beginning or the end, I'm not sure, but I think
that's it. The guy on the picture at the web page looks like the host of
the show.

Elsewhere in this thread-- I've been keeping up with Tulane's rebuild
effort: http://www.tulane.edu/

"Yat" comes from "where yat?" as in "where are you at?" or "where are
you?" but the word has come to mean a person who would use that turn of
phrase: "He acts like the snooty college professor now, but deep down
he's still a yat."

--Lia

Old October 17th 05, 02:35 AM
Donna in Idaho

Very interesting website - http://www.pbs.org/speak/
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

news

Old October 17th 05, 05:56 AM
melinda

Mika wrote:
I think that is a huge problem now days too, especially with this new "No
Child Left Behind" law. Teachers are forced to promote students to the next
grade whether they have actually made the grades to earn that promotion.
That give the kids a new manipulation tool because they can blow off school
and pass anyway. I feel sorry for the teachers who are truly dedicated to
teaching and really care about whether the students learn or not. They are
in a tough position.

In this computer age with spell checkers people have a false sense of
security about their spelling and grammar. I have always been very
meticulous about my spelling and it really irritates me to see simple words
misspelled just because people get lazy and think the spell checker will
catch it. I'm not a perfect speller by any means and it irritates me when I
find out that I have misspelled a word. One of my pet peeves though is when
people misuse Then and Than. grrrrr. Ok off my soap box. lol.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

The program I use for newsgroup replys does not have a spell checker
and sometimes I type replys in a rush and don't carefully re-read
what I have typed. Most of the time it's just that I've hit the
wrong key, usually a neighbour, sometimes I get a space in the wrong
place, but generally it's not too difficult to figure out what I mean
I know my gramma is not the best when I was at school it wasn't too
heavily focused on - the creativity was the focus at my school at least,
there are times when I wish it had been the other way round.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 17th 05, 06:05 AM
melinda

Dee in Oz wrote:
The worst one(s) I can think of at the moment is -there/their. That
really annoys me.

I was always corrected if my grammar was wrong but DH speaks just like
his mother ( I seen that etc)
I do correct occasionally but just make sure DD and DS use my grammar.
Even occasionally correcting their Victorian pronunciation to my South
Australian version

Dee in Oz

DH kept pinging me on the pronounciation of the letter 'H', I now
know where I got it from (not my mother as I had thought, but my
father who grew up in country NSW). I still lapse in pronounciation
occasionally, but less often now.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 17th 05, 06:06 AM
melinda

Default OT Stately Variations was OT for Lia and other spellers

Sharon Harper wrote:
LOL - I get into heaps of trouble over that (being from NSW and all). Tell
me is it "Incy Wincy Spider who climbed up the water spout" or "Itsy Bitsy
Spider"??? We all know he got washed out when down came the rain but cannot
agree on whether he was incy wincy or itsy bitsy.

The spider is 'incy wincy' for me!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 17th 05, 06:09 AM
melinda

Sharon Harper wrote:
what about pasgetti instead of spaghetti? Or aks instead of ask? But what
about the plain old fashioned forgetting to say please and thank you????
Drives me nuts. mmm-hmmm, it does.

DS asks for things with please, most of the time, and we're slowly getting
him to thank you as well! He's turning out to be a well behaved and good
mannered little boy.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol