Big Quilt - Ack!

Old April 16th 11, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

Default Big Quilt - Ack!

I mostly make quillows, along with a few wall quilts of widely varying
sizes. A month ago, I was visiting my son and I noticed that the quilt I
had made him eight or nine years ago was looking a little tatty. Of course
it might just need a good laundering (he's a bachelor grad student going on
to a phD program next fall). However, at one point during the visit, he
mentioned that he'd like a new quilt "dark green with maybe some music
fabric."

So I've started making the blocks for a large queen size quilt for him. I'm
using Bonnie Hunter's Boxy Star pattern
http://quiltville.com/boxystars.shtml

I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this as much as I should be!
I haven't wrestled a big quilt (It'll probably be close to 100x100") through
my machine in a long time, and even pinning the sandwich will be hard work
that I'm not used to. So I've been procrastinating like crazy. Even DH
noticed that I've been avoiding the sewing room! I used a standard harp
machine on the last big quilt and now I have a Janome Horizon, so it should
be easier.

So what's my problem, I want to know. Getting busy today I think. Oh, one
other thing - after considering Bowling Green in Ohio, and U of Texas El
Paso, he's decided to go to Florida State University in Tallahassee....so he
might not have a lot of use for this quilt anyway!

Iris

Old April 16th 11, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

There's always the option of quilting it in sections and then joining the
sections. Congrats on getting a Horizon! I've been drooling over those
new machines but love my 6600 sooooooo much- I'm not sure I can part with it
as a trade-in!

Have fun with the quilting- that's part of "what it's all about"! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old April 16th 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Hey, I've even made one from that pattern! Not as big as yours though.
Good luck!
Quilts are useful even if you don't need the warmth -they cover up a
lot of less-than-pristine bedding ;-)
Roberta in D

Old April 16th 11, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I'm in SC during the summer and Central FL during the winter. We have a lot
of cold spells, and Tallahassee gets colder. He probably will get good use
of his new quilt! Good luck with getting it finished!
Barbara in SC---Home

Old April 16th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
There's always the option of quilting it in sections and then joining the
sections. Congrats on getting a Horizon! I've been drooling over those
new machines but love my 6600 sooooooo much- I'm not sure I can part with
it as a trade-in!

Have fun with the quilting- that's part of "what it's all about"! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I traded my 6500 on the Horizon. I'm happy with the Horizon, although some
people aren't. I mostly use it for quilting with the dual feed and
freemotioning. It's great for that. Yeah, the dual feed feet are a bit
awkward to put on and take off, but I've gotten pretty good at it. For
freemotion, sometimes I use the blue dot bobbin case I bought for the 6500
and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I use the new, non-hopping fmq foot, and
sometimes I go back to my old hopping foot. I've also tweaked the pressure
and tension settings. Right now the fmq is just about perfect, no ladders
on the back even if I go a bit fast. So that's all good.

A lot of people have issues with quarter-inch piecing. I think those issues
are just a fact of nature when you have wide feed dogs that are too far
apart to catch the quarter-inch seam allowance on the right side -- I've had
this issue on my Pfaff and my 6500. Janome did provide, completely free, a
redesigned quarter-inch foot (they sent it to everyone who had registered
their machine) and that foot does help quite a bit, much to my surprise.
But, for me it wasn't an issue anyway because I use my old, 5mm feed dog
Bernina for quarter-inch piecing.

I'm not wild about the APC (automatic plate converter). This is a gadget on
the throat plate that slides into place to convert the zig-zag opening into
a single hole opening. In my opinion, this is just over-designed. On my
machine, the needle is dropping just a bit off-center to the left, so when
the single hole converter is engaged, I'm very close to that edge. I've
broken a couple of needles and I think it's because they bent ever so
slightly and hit the rim of the APC. And of course, you can't just shift
the needle position over a smidge because the machine is SMARTER THAN YOU
and won't let you move the needle at all if the APC is engaged. The
benefit (I guess) of the whole APC system is that you don't have to unscrew
and change a plate to switch from zig-zag to single hole. BUT - you have to
remove the plate regularly to clean and oil the wick anyway. So what's the
big deal? It's just fancy I guess. Judging from other forums I read, the
dropping-too-far-left thing was a common thing with some Horizons (which is
a bit of a disturbing quality control issue, I think) and I should have just
taken the machine back for the simple adjustment, but I live a long way from
the shop. So I just don't use the thing. My freemotioning is fine without
it. But, I think I am going to take the machine in soon, since I've had it
almost a year, and have them fix it and do a maintenance.

The jog dial to select stitches is okay, but I prefer the old system of just
entering the number of the stitch from the underside of the top. It's
quicker. One other thing - you need to purchase the thread stand for large
spools separately. Once you do, however, it goes on easy and works well.

I don't mean to sound negative - as I said, I like my Horizon. It does what
I want. Oh, I've made clothes with it too and it was just fine for
buttonholes and zippers, etc. I did hear that they might be coming out with
a slightly upgraded model in the fall. The "upgrade" may just be that they
now include the thread stand, I don't know. There's also going to be
(supposedly) a new really wide arm Janome intended to be put on a frame, or
so I've heard. So you might want to hold on a bit longer to trade.

Iris

Old April 16th 11, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
Hey, I've even made one from that pattern! Not as big as yours though.
Good luck!
Quilts are useful even if you don't need the warmth -they cover up a
lot of less-than-pristine bedding ;-)
Roberta in D

As it happens, I just made one from that pattern too! I made a quillow (in
greens!) and it went together well, which is why I'm using the pattern
again.

Knowing my son, there will be a lot of "less than pristine" bedding to be
covered up!!

Iris

Old April 16th 11, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thanks for the info- I appreciate it. I'm one of those people who will not
buy anything until it's been out for 2-3 years and the manufacturers have
had a chance to 'work the bugs out'. I may be waiting a long time if I wait
for the one with the larger throat space to be out for a couple of years!
VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old April 16th 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Bobbie Sews More" wrote in message
m...
I'm in SC during the summer and Central FL during the winter. We have a
lot of cold spells, and Tallahassee gets colder. He probably will get
good use of his new quilt! Good luck with getting it finished!
Barbara in SC---Home

Really? Thanks, it helps to know that!

Iris

Old April 16th 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Forgot to say that I use an electric blanket during the winter and quilted
spreads. Our lows are in the high 30's - low 40's. I keep heavy jackets in
FL, and wear sweatshirts & jeans. Northern FL will have a few freezes, as
will central FL and will freeze strawberries, lettuce and orange trees. I am
an hour N of Orlando. Yep! He will love his warm quilt!
Barbara, back in cool SC

Old April 16th 11, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I made one of the Boxy Star quilts too. I don't remember the exact size,
but it's bigger than a twin. You can see it he
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94495901adJEWM I
quilted it on my Babylock Quest which has a fairly large harp, but not as
large as your machine. You can do it!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Big Quilt Done ;-) dogmom Quilting 4 August 6th 07 03:14 PM
sleeve on big quilt Lobo Quilting 3 July 23rd 07 09:07 PM
My first big quilt But!!!!!!!!!!! Shirley Shone Quilting 49 March 16th 07 12:45 PM
basting a big quilt Darlene Quilting 25 June 13th 06 03:35 PM
First big quilt - machinequilting Uschi Quilting 9 May 29th 05 08:06 PM