Novel sewing advice from the past!

Old July 22nd 12, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

Default Novel sewing advice from the past!

"barnyowl" wrote in message
This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by one
of the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original
information is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

I found at a yard sale "The Complete Book of Sewing" Dated 1943. (A little
before my time) I kept it because I wanted to!!G
Nana

Old July 22nd 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

While researching my paternal family history, I found that two of my GGF's
brothers became tailors and his stay-at-home sister was a dressmaker - all
other siblings, including my GF were farm workers. My GF was raised by his
GM and became a businessman who later married a dressmaker and then his
widowed sister/law, another dressmaker (my grandmother). She died in 1917
and there were no other 'sewist' until I was born 2 generations later.
I often wonder what made those two young men leave the country to learn the
art of tailoring in the 1880's.......

My Mum told me that when she asked my Dad for a sewing machine before I was
born, he went right out to buy one for her. It was a Singer and it was the
first machine that I learned to use. Dad put the hand crank on it for me
and there was no stopping me after that. Barnyowl

"Brian" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:19:00 -0400, barnyowl wrote:

This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by
one of the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original
information is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

I was thinking about something. Although the proportion of men who sewed
at home (not professional tailors or sailors who might repair torn sails
as part of their job or whatever) was probably a lot smaller back then,
there must have at least some.

Were they given the same, or at least equivalent advice such as "put on
your best suit" or "be sure to shave before you start so you don't look
like Scruffy Mcgee."

Or was the prevailing attitude of the time kind of like Mr. Ropers from
Three's Company, that an man who sewed and it wasn't part of his job,
such as tailor or sailor, was "that way" and needed to put on his best
dress as well.

Brian Christiansen

Old July 22nd 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Brian, there's an exhibit right now at the Shelburne Museum [VT] of quilts made by men.

They range from quilts made by recovering wounded soldiers in the Civil War to modern art quilts.

Old July 23rd 12, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

On Jul 20, 9:19*pm, "barnyowl" wrote:
This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by one of
the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original information
is an updated version for todays' sewist! *Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

i love it! having the sink cleared is the job of DD. she leaves for
college in three weeks. the DH and/or DS is going to have to take
over this job. i cook, there is no reason why someone else can't
stack the dishwasher.

and like Miss Polly's hubby, fred would think i was ready for either a
wedding or a funeral if powder and lipstick went on....